Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I turn off the TOC ?

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH 8, Windows 7 and generating WebHelp

I have a merged project. I have 4 child rpojects and 1 parent. Can I turn off the TOC on the parent and only see it on the child projects?

I have already unchecked all of the options in all of the windows when I generate and that didn't help.

thanks.

Pat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

My reply and Ricks' give you alternative ways.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Egh?

You want all the child TOCs to show in the merge but not the parent TOC? Yes it can be done but I am not sure I understand what you want and would like to clarify that first.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we want is for the first page of the help to display without a TOC. This would be my parent project and only contains links to the child projects. All of the child projects display in separate windows with their own toc, which is fine. We just don't want it on the first page.

I hope that makes sense.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I understand but that's not merged help and removes all the benefits.

You are opening just one child in the new window so the search and index will be just for that child. Is that really what you want?

It seems you have gone to all the trouble of setting up a merge and then you are not using it. You just want a launch pad for four projects.

You could have one project with the one topic with the links and set that up not to have a TOC, index or search. Should open with just the topic. Post back if not. The links would open the other projects and depending on your link

• Open it in a new window but that would leave the user having to close two windows, or five if they click on all four links.
  • Open it in the same window. Then you have to consider how to get back to the first topic with the links.

Whatever way you look at it, what you are not serving up is merged help. I guess you have a reason for not opening the project with the TOCs of all the child projects and search and index working across all of them.

Sorry but what I don't get is why create merged help and than not use it.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we do want to have the first topic with no index, toc, or search.

How can we do that.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said

You could have one project with the one topic with the links and set that up not to have a TOC, index or search.

Turn off those options when you generate.

I'm not sure you are clear that this is not merged help though but I've done my best to explain. Happy to try again if you are not following me.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested and it's not quite that simple, you still get the tri-pane window. As the first project only has one topic, tell the developers to link to that instead of the start page.

If the help is also context sensitive, their calls will need to be to the relevant other projects and not through the single topic project.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know that's not really a merge. But that's what's wanted.

As for turning off the options when I generate, I have turned off everything (unchecked all of the boxes in all of the windows) but I still get a pod/frame/whatever on the left side of the window, it just doesn't have anything in it. Can I make that not appear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Call me silly here, but why isn't this as simple as creating a single HTML page with links that point to the projects? If you want to use RoboHelp to create the page, go for it. Just turn off the "Show navigation pane link in topics" and generate. Then pluck out the single page and use it. Otherwise, just create a page in Dreamweaver or Notepad or any other editor to link to the projects.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply and Ricks' give you alternative ways.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

I am using windows 7 and IE and when I turned off the show navigation pane it displays without it. But I also get the message about allowing blocked content and active controls. When I click to turn that off I get the pane back. The pane is empty, and I can close the pane, but can I set something to not display it at all? I don't know if this is just a windows 7 issue. This is way out of my league but I am learning a lot.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like you are running the webhelp locally without either applying Mark of the Web in the wizard setting IE to allow local content to run.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp