8 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 7:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Dropped frames during Analog to Digital capture

Paul787 Level 3

I've been slowly working on a project capturing analog 8mm video tapes to my computer with no problems so far but am getting a lot of dropped frames on one particular tape. I've been using Scenalyzer for the capture and on this particular tape, am getting approx. 30 dropped frames every 10 to 15 seconds.

I've cleaned the heads of the camcorder and shut down background processes on my computer with no improvement.

As a test though, I captured the same clip using WinDV and had significantly fewer dropped frames, but WinDV doesn't do optical scene detection which is why I'd prefer continuing to use Scenalyzer.

It it the software or my computer causing the dropped frames or is it the age/condition of the 8mm tape? Any advice appreciated.

• 1. Re: Dropped frames during Analog to Digital capture
          nealeh Level 5

What equipment are you import the analog tapes to Scenalyzer and how are you connecting it (e.g. USB, FireWire, TV Card ...)?

Scenalyzer can analyse video on hard disk so as a workaround you could import the footage with WinDV and then use Scenalyzer to perform the optical scene detection. But you shouldn't have to  - the dropped frame rates sound unusually high.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Dropped frames during Analog to Digital capture
            Paul787 Level 3

Neale, I'm using an ADS Pryo device via Firewire to capture the video. It is the one tape in particular that is giving me a lot of dropped frames while other tapes have been nearly flawless during capture.

• 3. Re: Dropped frames during Analog to Digital capture
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Has that tape been reused?

If not, then as a test, can you play the tape forward, then play in reverse (not FFW, and Rewind), and then try again?

Good luck, and wish I had some instant "fix."

Hunt

• 4. Re: Dropped frames during Analog to Digital capture
                Paul787 Level 3

I'm unsure about the history of the tape Bill. I took a box of tapes from my brother to transfer and it's possible it had been reused. It is old; appproximately 11 years. I'm away from home for the weekend so I'll try your tip when I get back on Monday and post my results.

• 5. Re: Dropped frames during Analog to Digital capture
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, remember that, since your camcorder or video player isn't attached directly to your computer when you use the ADS Pyro, most dropped frame errors are bogus. In other words, Premiere Elements thinks you're dropping frames just because it's not reading any timecode.

The solution is to go to Premiere Elements Device Controls and uncheck the options to notifiy you if frames are dropped.

If you are truly getting dropped frames, you'll get a jiggly playback in your video. If you're not seeing that, you can disregard the warnings.

• 6. Re: Dropped frames during Analog to Digital capture
                    nealeh Level 5

As Steve has said, these are most likely bogus dropped frames. I use a ADVC300 unit and both PRE and Scenalyzer trip up and stop recording VHS when there was 'noise' on the tape - generally between clips. From the Green Valley support forums this seems a general problem. I now import with WinDV - which basically doesn't take any action arising from the video quality. The main drawback with WinDV is the inability to monitor sound during capture.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Dropped frames during Analog to Digital capture
                      Paul787 Level 3

It looks like the dropped frame issue has been fixed. The glitches occurred during playback from the files on the hard drive so they looked to be real but I did two things. First, I Played/FF the tape for the first 15 minutes of the tape and then Played/Rewinded it as Bill suggested.

Secondly, I noticed that my S-Video cable from the Hi8 camcorder didn't connect very well to the front of the ADS Pyro unit so I trimmed back the surrounding plastic on the S-Video cable to get a more solid connection to the ADS unit. Between those those two things, I'm getting a nice capture now.

Thanks again for the help. Now onto transferring and editing the shoebox of tapes.

• 8. Re: Dropped frames during Analog to Digital capture
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Great news. I would likely never have thought about the connection of the cables.

Now, I use the capture time to log my tapes (working from clients' VHS in this case) and have a log sheet with timings, dates, tape #, and most of all, a comments block, where I make notes  These have proved invaluable to me, when it comes time to Import and edit. I have a rough idea of what each tape contains, and can even get client feedback, prior to the start of editing. Most have forgotten all the "stuff" on the tapes.

Good luck, and happy capturing,

Hunt