7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2007 12:36 PM by mgilvey_IPG

Placing Flash Video in DMX 2004

mgilvey_IPG
      I have a masthead that is 760 px wide x 200 px tall. I have created an animation from the center part of it (about 260px wide) in After Effects and exported it as an FLV. Now I am trying to place the FLV into the chopped masthead but when I preview it, all I see is a white box.

I may be doing somethine else wrong hear as well so let me elaborate. In the AE file, I have some artwork that goes above a stock video clip that is at 30fps. When this 260 x 200 section is added to the center protion of the full masthead, it completes the full graphic...it's not like I'm just putting a full edge to edge movie in. Anyway, I thought that by exporting as an FLV I could keep the file small and get it to load quickly. I need this animation to load into the center section of this logn graphic without controls and I need it to loop and load quickly...I know I said that twice.

I am using Flash 8 to author the FLV but I only have DMX 2004 for the HTML program.

Please help
        • 1. Re: Placing Flash Video in DMX 2004
          Level 7
          Basically when you export to web in Flash, it will give you a page with code
          that you paste into your html page. Then you must upload both the FLV and
          SWF files to server. When you get that working, it should be a simple matter
          of positioning the code where you want it to appear in your masthead. If
          you get stuck, post a url so we can take a look at what you have.

--Nancy O.
          Alt-Web Design & Publishing
          www.alt-web.com

"mgilvey_IPG" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fcmhaf$3d8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I have a masthead that is 760 px wide x 200 px tall. I have created an
          > animation from the center part of it (about 260px wide) in After Effects
          and
          > exported it as an FLV. Now I am trying to place the FLV into the chopped
          > masthead but when I preview it, all I see is a white box.
          >
          > I may be doing somethine else wrong hear as well so let me elaborate. In
          the
          > AE file, I have some artwork that goes above a stock video clip that is at
          > 30fps. When this 260 x 200 section is added to the center protion of the
          full
          > masthead, it completes the full graphic...it's not like I'm just putting a
          full
          > edge to edge movie in. Anyway, I thought that by exporting as an FLV I
          could
          > keep the file small and get it to load quickly. I need this animation to
          load
          > into the center section of this logn graphic without controls and I need
          it to
          > loop and load quickly...I know I said that twice.
          >
          > I am using Flash 8 to author the FLV but I only have DMX 2004 for the
          HTML
          > program.
          >
          > Please help
          >

• 2. Re: Placing Flash Video in DMX 2004
            mgilvey_IPG Level 1
            Thanks Nancy,

I think I did, sort of what you suggested, I actually have my laptop with me to day which has Flash 8 /CS2 on it so I opened DMX and placed the FLV. Tested it and it worked. Transferred all files to my office computer that only has DMX 2004 on it and copied the object code from the DMX v8 and pasted it into the cell where the FLV should go. It works but only locally. I uploaded it to the TEST sever and I just get a white box.

Also, when I look at it locally, there is a Skin inside the FLV which I don't want but. I would also like it to loop.

I also added a bit of code at the end of the page to fix the Active X but I don't think it is working. http://www.tandbelectricllc.com/test/
            • 3. Re: Placing Flash Video in DMX 2004
              Level 7
              You'll need to edit your SWF skin - no buttons, autoplay and loop settings
              in Flash.

It works OK in FireFox but I'm getting a white box in IE. So you're missing
              something - perhaps the correct object path to the swf file. Make sure none
              of your code is calling the file from your local disk.

src="myflash.swf"
              instead of
              src=file://mydocuments/myflash.swf

Place the ActiveX script call between the <head> </head> tags. Upload the
              ActiveX.js to same folder as your page. NOTE: DW8 places this in a
              "Scripts" folder in your local site folder (but doesn't tell you). If you
              upload the Scripts folder to server, then change this

<script language="JScript" type="text/jscript"
              src="activateActiveX.js"></script>

to this

<script language="JScript" type="text/jscript"
              src="Scripts/activateActiveX.js"></script>

Hope this all makes sense,

--Nancy O.
              www.alt-web.com

news:fcmoi0$bct$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks Nancy,
              >
              > I think I did, sort of what you suggested, I actually have my laptop with
              me
              > to day which has Flash 8 /CS2 on it so I opened DMX and placed the FLV.
              Tested
              > it and it worked. Transferred all files to my office computer that only
              has DMX
              > 2004 on it and copied the object code from the DMX v8 and pasted it into
              the
              > cell where the FLV should go. It works but only locally. I uploaded it to
              the
              > TEST sever and I just get a white box.
              >
              > Also, when I look at it locally, there is a Skin inside the FLV which I
              don't
              > want but. I would also like it to loop.
              >
              > I also added a bit of code at the end of the page to fix the Active X
              but I
              > don't think it is working. http://www.tandbelectricllc.com/test/
              >

• 4. Re: Placing Flash Video in DMX 2004
                mgilvey_IPG Level 1
                Hi Nancy,

I found another way of fixing the active x last night. All that is needed is a js file, and a script in the head and one on either side of the object. It seems to work pretty well as long as the page is not inside another folder. I found it here: http://activecontent.blogspot.com/

I must be doing something wrong in Flash becuase I cannot find any place to make the video loop and not use the skin. Perhaps my workflow is incorrect. I would think that I could edit a component or something but looping is not an option in my version. Will have to dig a little deeper.
                • 5. Re: Placing Flash Video in DMX 2004
                  mgilvey_IPG Level 1
                  Hi Nancy,

I really appreciate your helping me out. I reviewed my work flow and found that when I'm in Dreamweaver 8, when I click to add a Flash Video the module that pops up does not give me the option to have None as a skin. See screen capture here: http://www.inter-pub.com/FTP_Clients/upload/mgilvey/Picture1.png

Am I doing something wrong?
                  • 6. Re: Placing Flash Video in DMX 2004
                    Level 7
                    I think this is more of a Flash Pro issue than a DW issue. I'm pretty sure
                    you can edit the SWF file in Flash Pro (which contains the skin info) to
                    remove the play button, etc... Sorry I can't guide you further. I don't
                    have Flash Pro installed.

--Nancy O.
                    www.alt-web.com

news:fcttvm$idm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Hi Nancy,
                    >
                    > I really appreciate your helping me out. I reviewed my work flow and
                    found
                    > that when I'm in Dreamweaver 8, when I click to add a Flash Video the
                    module
                    > that pops up does not give me the option to have None as a skin. See
                    screen
                    > capture here:
                    http://www.inter-pub.com/FTP_Clients/upload/mgilvey/Picture1.png
                    >
                    > Am I doing something wrong?
                    >

• 7. Re: Placing Flash Video in DMX 2004
                      mgilvey_IPG Level 1
                      I don't have Flash Pro either. Thanks for your help Nancy.