8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 2:47 PM by Harm Millaard

CS5 on my Laptop (will my laptop handle it?)

ruzun Level 1

Apparently Adobe allows you to activate CS5 on up to 2 computers, which is pretty nice of them.  I primarily use my desktop for editing which is pretty powerful, but I also have a newer laptop I might want to install CS5 on if it can handle it.  I currently use Premiere Elements 7 on this laptop, which I was planning to stick with.  I only ever edit when I'm traveling and never final projects, just usually quick projects to show what I saw on a given Dive Day to other people I'm traveling with.  So my editing needs on the laptop are much lighter than on my desktop PC.

I guess I'm wondering if my Laptop can handle CS5 reasonably, or if I'm better of just using PrE 7 on my laptop.  Would CS5 be too sluggish to use basically, compared to PrE 7 on this laptop.

I have a Sony F-Series laptop with the following -

Windows 7 64-bit Professional

Intel Core-i7 820QM Processor

8 GB of DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

16.4" Monitor with GeForce 330M video card and 1GB of video RAM

• 1. Re: CS5 on my Laptop (will my laptop handle it?)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You should be OK with those specs, but try it out yourself and you will know for sure.

• 2. Re: CS5 on my Laptop (will my laptop handle it?)
            sync2rhythm Level 1

Oh yeah.

That laptop should handle it w/ No Problems. It's got better specs than some of the Desktops people are using.

You may not have the advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine but you'll certainly not be at a disadvantage.

The only thing I can see is the Single 500GB HD.

If it has eSATA connections you might would want to look at adding an eSATA HD to house your Projects/Media.

Now that the Trials are available... download and try them.

Don't forget to report back with your findings.

• 3. Re: CS5 on my Laptop (will my laptop handle it?)
              ruzun Level 1

If I install the trial version, will I have to uninstall it then re-install the complete version once my discs arrive?  I don't want to install CS5 now only

to have to re-install it once the real software gets here.

• 4. Re: CS5 on my Laptop (will my laptop handle it?)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

No. This is a welcome change. You will just plug in your Key to convert from trial to full-paid version.

I also agree about the eSATA drives, as a single HDD will be somewhat limiting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: CS5 on my Laptop (will my laptop handle it?)
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Just to be safe, have a little patience. You should receive your disks in the coming week I guess.

• 6. Re: CS5 on my Laptop (will my laptop handle it?)
                    ruzun Level 1

Adobe did send me an email today saying the discs will be shipped soon, and that I could use the trial version now if I wanted.  I just don't want to install it then have to uninstall/reinstall it to get all the features. 

Are all the features and components that are present on the installation discs also present in the download?  Maybe it would be safer to wait rather than wind up with a compromised version from the trial install.

• 7. Re: CS5 on my Laptop (will my laptop handle it?)
                      ruzun Level 1

Regarding external SATA hard drives.  My laptop does have an eSATA port but I wouldn't use it.  I have an external USB drive but I only use it to xfr data.   I have this laptop for travel to remote places so I can download dailies from the camcorder and preview what I'm getting and adjust or try and reshoot marine life as needed on travel.  I can't have it become any less portable or any more cumbersome to use.  Sometimes I have to use it in the field as well.

So I'm stuck with the single internal 500GB 7200RPM drive, adding some sort of external drive for regular use is not practical for me, it would defeat the main purpose I have the laptop with me on travel.  And if I'm not on travel, I don't need to use CS5 on the laptop, I would just use the desktop.

• 8. Re: CS5 on my Laptop (will my laptop handle it?)
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't really know, but with CS4 there were always multiple downloads required to get to the functional content, not all the documentation was included in the download, but were present on the disk version, there were often problems with uninstalling the trial and installing the full version, etc.

Personally (but that is easy for me to say, because I have the beta installed) I would wait for the physical disks to appear on my doormat.