25 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2010 9:18 AM by the_wine_snob

CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!

vdoeditr

Okay, so here we are on the day of the long awaited ability to edit AVCHD footage natively in a 64-bit environment, and the CS5 trial releases with no option to use AVCHD, DSLR, or RED footage.

SERIOUSLY?!?! Am I missing something here?

That is what EVERY single advertisement/video marketing ploy that they have been pushing for the last 4+ months has been saying about how great P-pro CS5 is, and we cant even try it.....the software will shutdown after 30 days for cryin out loud....what gives?

So basically we are supposed to give them almost 2 grand for software that we have NO CLUE whether or not will be any better than CS4. That's like a movie theater advertising the most incredible 3D experience on the planet, and then offering a free trial day to come check it out, only to give you NO GLASSES to view the amazing difference. AHHHHHHHHH!

comments welcome.

• 1. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you buy directly from Adobe, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee if the software doesn't perform as you expect.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
            Harm Millaard Level 7

It has always been standard practice to disable everything MPEG related in the trial version. This has been the case for ages and is explcitly mentioned on the Adobe site. If you chose not to read that, that is your problem.

You can't expect Adobe to pay license fees for YOUR trial.

This has been discussed for ages and it is getting pretty boring to hear the same rants from people with reading problems.

• 3. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
              vdoeditr Level 1

Oh, so I have a reading problem then?

Why would playing footage on the timeline require licensing?!?  Wouldn't it make more sense to disable the ability to encode videos in those formats, instead of preventing us from even placing some footage on the timeline to experience playback on our systems?!?!?

You can use your "father-like" harsh tone all you want Sir, but not being able to even get a playback experience will have me disagreeing to the very end.  Have always loved Adobe products, but I and I'm sure alot of others are not going to drop that kind of money with no ability to "test-drive" the very features that they have been bragging for the last 4 months.

Good day

• 4. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                Moxtelling Level 1

Hi

I bought the Master Collection CS5 - upgraded from Design Premium CS4 and I´m a bit dissapointed with PPro CS5 untill now. Especially because I have not experienced any performance gain in editting AVCHD files in CS5 whatsoever. It allmost sems a bit slower in playing back sometimes - startup and loading files etc. is quicker though. And apparantly it looks allmost the same as CS4. I can allmost not tell the difference. But I guess I will have to get deeper into the menues to see whats new and smart. As I remember I have had this experience almost every time I bought an upgrade - and it takes a while to find out what´s new and better.

But what PPro Cs5 is concerned I have almost decided to buy a new videocard to get some kind of performance increase in playing back while edditting. Now it is possible to get better perfromance upgrading the videocard. Woth CS4 that option was not an option.

Folks here saying that PPro CS5 takes advantage of 64 bit and will be quicker in edditing etc. is not telling all the truth - it depends. If you do not have any of the supported videocards you will not get Mercury Engine hardware playback - only stuttering software playback in low res.

So do not expect any performance increase at first - but after using 2-3000$or more on hardware upgrading too, you might be lucky to get your self a nice videoeditting system.

Morten

• 5. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Oh, so I have a reading problem then?

Yes, if you can't read this:

*Adobe Encore CS5 is not available as a trial. Encore CS5 will be installed as part of the trial for Creative Suite 5 Production Premium and Master Collection but will not be available for use until you purchase. The trial versions of After Effects CS5, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, and Soundbooth CS5 do not include some features that depend on software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, some codecs for encoding MPEG formats are available only with the full version of these products.   

I agree that it might have been better for the reading impaired, if this was in BOLD.

Read again: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=production_premium

• 6. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                    vdoeditr Level 1

Well, I hope you have fun on this forum over the next few months, because I am not the first, nor will I be the last to have issue with this.

One poster put it nicely, "I don't care about Adobe's legal issues....if we cant test-drive it.....I ain't shelling out 2 grand to buy it sight unseen.

Even you in all of your sarcasm, would find it difficult to make a decision about purchasing something like a new car for example if you could not test-drive it in its full-glory before purchasing it.  If you would then you must have WAY more money than the rest of us.

Sony Vegas' trial allows AVCHD.....guess we will all just have to decide between Vegas, and FCP Studio 3.

Again......Good Day

• 7. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                      jphilip75 Level 1

I don't know if I should start a new thread but I have experience many problems with CS5 so far :

- problems with conforming audio each time the same project is open

- Quick Time plugins stopping program loading at startup so I have to rename thoses plugins Importer and exporter quicktime prm to finaly manage to start program by not loading them.

- When I export my project to render queue , the adobe media encoder opens but the job is not added in the render queue wich stay blank

- program not responding when closing

• 8. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                        vdoeditr Level 1

TYPICAL for a new adobe product  :o(

• 9. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

vdoeditr wrote:

Well, I hope you have fun on this forum over the next few months, because I am not the first, nor will I be the last to have issue with this.

One poster put it nicely, "I don't care about Adobe's legal issues....if we cant test-drive it.....I ain't shelling out 2 grand to buy it sight unseen.

Even you in all of your sarcasm, would find it difficult to make a decision about purchasing something like a new car for example if you could not test-drive it in its full-glory before purchasing it.  If you would then you must have WAY more money than the rest of us.

Sony Vegas' trial allows AVCHD.....guess we will all just have to decide between Vegas, and FCP Studio 3.

Again......Good Day

I agree.  Adobe is aware of all of this; but dont care to fix it.  The trial is a joke,.

The full product however; is awesome.

• 10. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

As this thread seems focused on the limitations of the trial version, I would start a new thread, so that folk will know what your issues are, and can address those without the comments on the trial.

I would urge you to provide as much detail, as is possible, when initiating the new post. This ARTICLE might offer some tips on what would be helpful for others to address your issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Curt,

I am with you on this. What I do not understand is how Adobe gets around the MainConcept MPEG licensing issue with the trial of PrElements. Now, with that trial, one gets a watermark on the Exported material, and it cannot be removed, until the unlock key has been added and some additional work with the Project has been done. Not sure how the MainConcept MPEG CODEC for PrE might differ from the one in PrPro, but there are no limitations, beyond that watermark, in the other Adobe NLE trial.

That said, I can imagine the outcry with a watermark (happens weekly in the PrE forum), but that would allow a full "test drive," though not a salable Project.

Just some thoughts,

Hunt

• 12. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                vdoeditr Level 1

Bill,

THANK YOU! for your input....it was objective....unlike some other people's input here.  I really have trouble understanding how importing footage onto a timeline would violate their lic. agreement. but whatever.  If PrE can export with a watermark, they could at least re-negotiate something that would allow PPro trial users to at least use the timeline to evaluate how the software handles footage in the PM or the multicam viewer, and just give us NO export feature.

I mean, why download and "try" the trial?  We all know what the interface looks like, and how it handles DV footage....they brag about how it handles AVCHD for months and then dont even give us an opportunity to give it a whirl.  Are we just supposed to take their word for it?  CS4 is proof that we should not, that software, even with the updates is still full of bugs.

Consumer:  "excuse me sir, do you have the new BMW with the larger horsepower engine, manual transmission, with the convertible top.....I have heard that it is an amazing driving experience."

Salesman:  "why yes we do, however you can only test drive the BMW with the smaller horsepower engine, automatic tranmission, with the hard-top."

Consumer:  "How will I get the feel of the overall horsepower, the feel of the clutch pedal, and the wind in my hair....making 100% that this is the investment I definitely want to make?"

Salesman:  "You don't............but I can tell you, it is pretty amazing.  So.....can I get you the keys to the hard-top and waste some more of your precious time?"

HA! 

• 13. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                  jdhughen Level 1

vdoedir,

I'm with you. why would I waste my time looking at software that doesn't let me test everything.

BTW can you post a link to the FCP trial so I can check it out ??

Joel

• 14. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                    FelixUnderwood Level 2

Wow, Harm, you sure threw gasoline on vdoeditr's fire. Either you or vdoeditr was right, so I started the process of downloading the CS5 suite to see for myself and saw Adobe's cryptic disclaimer "cleverly" positioned below the download button in a grayed font that was clearly hoped to be overlooked. (You know, like the disclaimer on a car commercial that legally has to be there, but is in an extremely small font that is not intended to be read.) Otherwise it would have been placed with the rest of the information Adobe WANTED you to read above the download button. Just because you've been spending the last 20 years on Adobe's websites and forums doesn't mean the rest of us have. The whole purpose of these forums is to share our knowledge with each other and make things better. Your rude reply to vdoeditr is not helping him, Adobe or the rest of us. I was having a good day until I read your response. You claim that it is getting "boring" (irritating) to see people carelessly downloading software w/o reading the fine print. Heck, if I read all of the fine print that I'm supposed to, I'd never get anything done. Most of your posts reflect knowledge, thoughtfulness and sense of wanting to help. Please shoot for 100%.

Vdoeditr, I can easily see why you missed that disclaimer and even if  you had read it, unless you're an engineer with a master's degree, it  still isn't clear that AVCHD files won't work (the disclaimer said "some  mpeg formats" I believe.) Please don't let this (or Harm's reply) be the sole reason you bail from Adobe. I'll offer my technique: sit back for the month of May and hawk this forum and find out how CS5 is working for everyone else!

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                      vdoeditr Level 1

Hey Felix, ya wanna know the funniest part about the whole thing.......you are 100% correct.  I did in fact read the "some MPEG formats not supported"  Unlike "Harm" I did not however spend 20 years to learn all of the freakin bi-laws and to learn the in's and out's of Adobe's license agreements to know which formats that included.....and I am still baffled that you cant timeline it, and just have no export ability. blows me away.

I guess my question to Adobe still remains....that if you are goin to market the heck out of a set of features, then why-oh-why are those features not in some way shape or form available to test-drive.  It just doesn't make good business sense.  I am not going to abandon adobe products completely (let's face it, they kinda have the market cornered in the photo-editing end of things) but I had such high hopes that PPRO CS5 was going to revolutionize the way that my machine handled AVCHD and other newer formats.  I also agree that this forum is supposed to help people.....even though my initial post publicly showed my frustration, it never attacked any person here, and it was in my humble opinion very informative to people who had the same expectations as me, who hadn't taken the time to download the trial yet.

I recently downloaded the Cineform Neoscene 7-day trial to see if that would help out my avchd problem.  Their trial was the FULL WORKING VERSION.  I could use it for 7 days to see if it fit my workflow.  I found that it did not fit my needs, so i did not need to waste their time or mine trying to get a refund.

I am going to do exactly what you suggested....and that is to circle above like a hawk and just watch.  (While I spend the time to finish learning FCP Studio 3)  The true colors of this situation will show themselves.  We shall see if the overall feedback is more toward the positive, or more toward the negative.

Have a great night friend.

• 16. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                        jdhughen Level 1

Can any of you send me the link for FCPs free trial ???  Can you get it for windows ??

Joel

• 17. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Different software companies take different approaches to trials. Some are full-featured, with but a time limit. Some produce watermarked versions. Some offer only a limited version. These decisions are based on legal issues (Adobe's case), and some on marketing research and interpretations of that research. What is best? Well, that depends. Adobe has an issue with the MainConcept licensing, but manages to get around that with PrElements. How? I do not know.

One thing that Adobe does offer, however, is a full 30 day, money back guarantee, that you will like the software, or they refund your $. Most software companies do not, which is too bad.

Personally, I have never availed myself of either a trial, or a money-back guarantee with any Adobe product, and this goes back decades to when they first hit the PC platform. I also only buy the boxed versions with the media, so have zero input on any form of download (beyond Flash Player, or Acrobat Reader). I guess that in these parts, it makes me an "Adobe apologist," but I like to think of myself as a very satisfied user.

Were Adobe to contact me tomorrow, I would urge the marketing department to offer a full-working version of their software as a trial, with maybe a watermark. In this forum, we've seen a lot of folk, who try to use the trials to do commercial work, and will migrate projects between the trials of various NLE's, to keep from buying. Most, however, honor the spirit of the trial, and I would urge Adobe to help in the evaluation process, wherever possible. Still, the phone has not rung.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                            vdoeditr Level 1

Joel,

I am unable to answer that, as I am new to FCP.  I have access to an FCP workstation, so I am learning on it.  It is only available through Apple on their Mac computers, unfortunately not for a PC.  Sorry I couldn't help ya more.

• 19. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                              Anthony Abegglen Level 1

Even GV canopus offers a full working version of there editing  product for 30days but excludes TM and other add ons which are not needed,

This trial is pretty usless to the person that wants to edits ADHDV or MP4 ect.......... to evaluate the product, I am a Reseller of Adobe, this makes it very diffical  for me to sell a product if the product has limitations.

To me another thing that is a problem even though the claims is made that CS5 is faster .........yes it...., but wait one thing also  you have to damn fast system which cost you a new PC costing a another $2000.00 for a sort of min spec and even more money

I will wait and see how things go over the next few weeks and months, not sell the product, not have the customers wanting to kill me or break me in 2 or getting phone calls to sort out problems at 12 o'clock at night so a customer can get his work out on time or even   struggle to get refunds from Adobe in my country like happened with CS4 and PRE8.

Just my frustaded 2cent

• 20. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                                shooternz Level 6

Gosh GavinABE

I bet Adobe are real  proud to have you as a "reseller of Adobe"

I would figure its your job to show your customers how well it works...not rely on your customers downloading "hobbled" trial versions to find out for themselves.

Exactly what part do you play in reselling this product.

As far as I know... my supplier SELLS": me the product (licence to use the product actually).  They dont RE Sell" it to me.

BTW : I agree with those that think that Adobe could handle the trial version much more effectively and advantageously by not "hobbling" it.  Thankfully it doesnt affect me because MPEG (especially AVCHD "devil spawn") is not a part of my workflow.

• 21. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                                  rauck

If I download the trial, can I buy a licence and then activate the trial to full version? Will the mpeg codes work then? Or do I need a different full version of the software?

• 22. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                                    pmasters8941 Level 1

Rauck

Yes you can. If you download the trial version and then buy a license, all you have to do is input the serial number when you launch the program. At that point, the software will install the additional codecs that are disabled in the trial version.

• 23. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                                      vdoeditr Level 1

Hey Shooter,

I like your description of AVCHD......"Devil Spawn".  That's very fitting.....that codec has been a nightmare for alot of users.  Unfortunately though it is the codec of choice for ALOT of camera's on the market, such as Panasonic's HMC-150 for example.  It's goin that direction, so alot of us gotta roll with it and find a way to deal with it. 

Looks like an online/offline editing workflow, is still gonna be the only way to affordably and/or easily cut multi-cam HD footage.  On that note, I gotta go......I have a bunch of AVCHD footage to go transcode into Apple ProRes......since I can't "TRY" it on the CS5 timeline.   LOL

Cheers! 

• 24. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                                        rauck Level 1

Thanks for that pmasters8941

Now, one more query – Does the trial download (TRY option) version of each suite (after being licensed) have the same content as the “full version” bought online through the BUY option? I’m trying to figure out if there are any differences in size of the apps payload on disk between the Trial version with license and the Full version with license. That is, is there any extra stuff in the full version that you get that you just don’t get even after buying a license and applying it to the trial version?

• 25. Re: CS5 - already frustrated - REALLY Adobe?!?!
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rauck,

That is a good question. This is just my guess: I'd think that Encore, which is not really functional in the trial, will have NONE of the Functional Content, i.e. Menus, Templates, etc., as that program is totally disabled in the trial and the Functional Content is ~ 13GB, IIRC. However, there is usually a second Functional Content download file for that. The big question in my mind would be how the new upgrading from trial to full-paid scheme might impact that.

There is also additional Functional Content for PS and AI, plus some other Adobe programs. How that is handled is an unknown for me. Maybe others have studied this and can comment. I've never had an Adobe "trial" (other than some beta stuff), and have never bought the download version of any. For me, it's simple - just do full installs from the media in the boxed versions. That's another reason that I can only speculate and assume. Not much real help there - sorry.

Good luck, and please let us all know the scoop.

Hunt