6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 3:46 PM by c2c2c2

Is It Okay to Install CS5 on a Partition with CS4?

FelixUnderwood Level 2

I don't have CS5 yet, but a friend just downloaded his today and when he told me he was installing it on his Windows 7 partition that already has CS4 installed, I told him that I didn't think that was a good idea. Am I right? Shouldn't he at least uninstall CS4 first? When I get CS5, I'm doing a clean install...Windows 7 Ultimatte and all! (the Ultimatte is a joke for all of you video professionals over the age of 40! Iknow it's really Ultimate!)

• 1. Re: Is It Okay to Install CS5 on a Partition with CS4?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Is this a partition on a dual-boot system?

As for the coexistence of CS4 & CS5, there should be no issues, beyond CS5 being a 64-bit program. If CS4 is installed on a 64-bit system, though a 32-bit program, they should be able to function independently of each other. Maybe one of the beta testers can now comment on having CS4 & CS5 on the same system?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Is It Okay to Install CS5 on a Partition with CS4?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

I have parts of CS3 (FL, AU, UL), the whole MC of CS4 and betas of CS5 (AE, AME, AU, EN, OL and PR) installed and they live happily together. No problem whatsoever. No problems using the same media, using the same networked drives, not a single problem.

I have even had both PR CS4 and CS5 running at the same time without problems, using some identical media clips.

• 3. Re: Is It Okay to Install CS5 on a Partition with CS4?
              FelixUnderwood Level 2

Harm & Bill,

Thanks for your near-immediate responses! I stand, or rather sit, corrected. Anyone else, if you've experienced or heard differently, please pipe up. I'm still going to do a clean install, myself! If nothing else, it's great housekeeping.

• 4. Re: Is It Okay to Install CS5 on a Partition with CS4?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Felix,

I think that is a very wise decision. I mean the different versions do work peacefully on the same system, but every system gets polluted in time and often it is a good idea to do a complete fresh install of OS & programs like once a year. You have a good excuse now to do it and you may well be an example for others, instead of installing on a polluted and possibly corrupted system.

Very wise!

• 5. Re: Is It Okay to Install CS5 on a Partition with CS4?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thank you for confirming my speculation, regarding CS4 & CS5. As I did not have that particular combo, I could only speculate, but having had many versions of many other Adobe programs, all working beside one another, assumed that things had not changed.

In all my years with Adobe products, the only issue that I can recall was if one had CS3 installed, then installed CS4, but later uninstalled CS3 - things were removed from CS4, which had to then be reinstalled. That was a glitch in the file naming and locations, and someone did not realize the potential for an issue.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Is It Okay to Install CS5 on a Partition with CS4?
                    c2c2c2

Here is one possible conflict:

I have CS4 Master Collection installed on Win7 Ultimate 64 Bit.

I installed CS5 MC without removing CS4.

While it seems to work, the icons of CS5 format files and the icons for CS4 format files are the same. This doesn't seem right as I've seen new branding for icons for file types for CS5 and they are different from CS4. Since CS5 seems to want to update my files to new file formats, it quickly gets confusing as looking at the files in explorer shows no different between a CS4 and a CS5 file.

I would like to see CS5 files to appear with different icons that CS4 files if both versions of MC are installed - this does not seem to be the case.