13 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2010 4:22 PM by the_wine_snob

What size for stills should be imported?

AlanKl2

My stills are 2272 x 1704 jpegs (4:3 ratio).  SHould I reduce them or leave them at that size when I import?  I'm making slide shows for DVD.

• 1. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I say in my books, if you resize them to 1000x750 pixels you'll see much better performance from the program and you'll be less likely see your system crash.

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer more information.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

• 2. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some background, plus suggestions on Scaling in PS with batch functions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
              AlanKl2 Level 1

Two clarifications:

1.  Are you saying that I should crop my stills to 720 x 480?  That's not 4:3.  However, 1000 x 750 is 4:3.  I'm confused.

2.  I'm also combining HD video 1280 x 720 with the aforementioned stills of   2272 x 1704.  What should my Preset be when I create the New Project?  What should I select when I want to Share a DVD disk?  Or Share a Blu-Ray disk?

• 4. Re: What size for stills should be imported?

The 720x480 video frame is measured in non-square pixels. It's the equivalent of 640x480, which is 4:3. We've learned that 1000x750 pixel photos are the ideal size for using in video because they're small enough that they don't slow the program down and yet large enough that you can do some panning and zooming on them if you'd like. (BTW, before you bring your photos into Premiere Elements, go to Edit/Preferences and uncheck Default Scale to Frame Size. I cover all this in detail in my books, if you're interested.)

As for HD video, I recommend you don't put HD video in a standard video project for a number of reasons. The best solution is to put your HD video in an HD project and the use Share to output it as a standard 720x480 DV-AVI. This AVI will combine perfectly with the 1000x750 photos in a standard DV project.

I am concerned, however, that you say your HD video is 1280x720. Premiere Elements is not likely to support this type of video (commonly called AVCHD Lite). You may want to find another video editor to work with this type of video.

As for your output, I was under the impression you wanted to create a DVD. If you're trying to create a hi-def BluRay disc, we may need to rethink your entire workflow.

• 5. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  1.  Are you saying that I should crop my stills to 720 x 480?

Not Crop, but Scale. Now, if necessary, you can also Crop, if needed. Steve has given you the lowdown on the non-square pixels (PAR = 0.9 for 4:3, and PAR = 1.2 for 16:9).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
                    AlanKl2 Level 1

It looks like I should get the book.  Which do you recommend?  My basic thing I'm doing is creating family shows that I want to view at home and give to relatives that would combine stills with short video clips both taken on my camera.  My camera shoots video clips in avi jpeg at 30 fps at either 640 x 480 or 1280x720. I don't have HD video cameras other than the still camera video feature so I'm not doing lots of video. 

1. In light of Steve's comment about not combining HD video with stills, since my camera shoots 640 x 480 video, would you recommend that I take all my video in the 640x480 setting and skip the 16:9 HD when I combine with stills in the same DVD?  I have tried the 16:9  combination of video with 4:3 still and it does seem to work.  Of course the display winds up having two aspects.  16:9 Video that fills the HDTV screen while the 4:3 stills just display in the middle.  I just didn't want to lose the nice HD featurethat camera with this new camera.  (Of course  i have the option of chnaging stills to 16:9 format to match the HD720  video.  What presets and Shares would AI use for that?

2. DV AVI sounds good but can I count on friends knowing whta to do with this?  DVD's are a no brainer.  They throw them in and play them on their HDTV's or computer.  Aren't avi's only good for computer and not TV's?

• 7. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

My recommendation for a book on PrE & PSE would be our own Steve Grisetti's, available from Muvipix. He also has a Learning Series, plus a Boot Camp there too.

As for the 4:3 vs 16:9, depending on how your camera does Widescreen, there will be no problem with a Widescreen Project. With the square pixels of the stills, you will crop a bit off the top and bottom of the image (or from the top, or from the bottom), but should not have any problem. It will depend on the aesthetics that you are looking for.

For a delivery format/scheme, the DVD-Video cannot be beaten for SD Projects. The Project will be Transcoded to MPEG-2, the format/CODEC of DVD-Video, but PrE takes care of that easily, when you Burn to Disc.

DV-AVI Type II is the base format of PrE (and PrPro), but if you Export/Share to that format, one would then burn to a DVD-Data, and the user would use a player, like Windows Media Player, to play the file on their computer. For play on a TV, via a set-top player, the DVD-Video is the best. Some players can handle playback of AV files, but not the majority.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
                        AlanKl2 Level 1

Thanks for the book recommendation.  I need to get more trained on this.  For the heck of it, I tried about 6 different combinations to see what kind of quality.  I tried BluRay 1080i to burn but my computer didn't recognize the burner.  It's not BluRay. So I first burned to a computer file and burned a regular DVD with the BluRay files.  The menu didn't work, nor did the disk work at all in my Samsung BluRay player, but the DVD did play with my PlayStation3's BluRay.  (I have MPEG M2T and XMPSES files there)  The quality of both the regular still and original 720 video was superb.  (I used 1080i Preset and 1080i BluRay Share)   Now that's they way I want to go.  Someone mentioned above, I think it was Steve, that there's another work flow.  What would that be?  (Of course I need to get a B/R burner to start.)  Which Preset would I select to tie in my stills and 720 HD videos?   And which output BluRay would I select to Share?

• 9. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
                          nealeh Level 5

AlanKl2 wrote:

I first burned to a computer file and burned a regular DVD with the BluRay files.

PRE does not allow 'burn to folder' for BluRay so how did you do that? The only common solution on this forum is to use a 'virtual burner' such as Phantom or Virtual CD.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
                            AlanKl2 Level 1

I'm using Premiere 4.  My original presets were HD1080i 30 My video clip was 720 and my stills were both orginal from the camera and 1440x1080.

The way I burned Blu_ray onto DVD:  Share>Personal Computer>MPEG>HD1080i 30 (there are ten others to select from).    I created a folder on my desktop and then saved the project to it.  Then I burned this folder to my DVD using a third party burn program (Roxio).  The Video and stills were superb on my 52" HDTV.   The sound played also.  Menus did not work.  The DVD only played on my Playstation 3 Slim's  (PS3) Blu-Ray but would not play with my Samsung Blu-Ray or on my computer.  I got a PS3 originally because the reviews gave it the highest marks for BluRay.  PLus I got the added benefit of game playing.  It comes with a 120gb disk so I guess it handles files of all kinds better than a "straight" BluRay player.  I did not try the DVD disk on a regular DVD.  I'll try that and get back to you.  I doubt if it works.

When I selected HD1080i 30, it created 2 files.  M2T of around 239mb ( it was a short couple of minutes project test although I did a longer 10 minute version also).  The other file was a XMPSES of 551kb

I also tried the same procedure using Share of HD720i 30.  Three files were created.  mpg of 148mb (PRE3 says this is MPEG2);  XMPSES of 525kb and a third called XMP of 3kb.  Operation and procedures were the same.  The quality seem the same on the HDTV as the 1080i test althouh based on the size of the comparaive files, 1080i is "better".  Again, this only worked on my PS3 with sound but no menus.

If you can live without menus, and have a PS3, it seems to be cheap way to go.  I added a title page to the beginnering of my show to make up for the menu loss.   But of course it probably won't work on your freinds BluRay unless its PS3.  This seems to be a quick way to go until I get a BR burner.

• 11. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
                              AlanKl2 Level 1

Steve I looked at your book site.  Which of the books do you recommend.  I'll be using both Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8.  There's  a combined book in B/W I think plus two separate ones in color.  Are there others.  Which best?

• 12. Re: What size for stills should be imported?

The "best" is the one you need most, Alan.

Do you want information on using all of the tools in Photoshop Elements as well as Premiere Elements? Then get the combined book.

But, if you just want information on Premiere Elements, get the Premiere Elements book.

The color and black & white versions are identical, except that one is color and other in black & white -- and the price, of course.

And, yes, the entirety of the Premiere Elements book is included in the combined book.

• 13. Re: What size for stills should be imported?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Personally, I'd go for the color version, though the B/W version is not at all bad.

I've got several versions, and all are well-written. Be sure to see the Appendix for some great tips on one's computer and the setup. The printer should have bound the books, so that they all open to that first. Material that must not be missed. Had I been asked to edit the books, or even write the Foreword, I would have made sure that those sections were at the very front of the book, or that the reader was directed to them. Many would say, "hey, I don't need that info," and my response would be, "oh, but you do, and just do not realize it yet."

Good luck and happy reading,

Hunt