8 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2010 9:19 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Bug in CS5 prevents successful exporting to Photoshop

Aongus Collins

Here is a serious bug. If you attempt to export Illustrator CS5 artwork containing a gradient mesh to Photoshop, the resulting image will be wrecked by unwanted artefacts -- specifically a series of horizontal lines running across the exported mesh.

I've posted an illustration at http://www.vectorcartoon.com/mesh/

There is a workaround. Copy and paste the mesh objects into a Photoshop document. However, if you have many objects, and many layers, this could be cumbersome.

• 1. Re: Bug in CS5 prevents successful exporting to Photoshop
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Sure enough, I don't know how this could get past any beta tester ad so they all must have seen this and why they did not make a big enough stink
          is beyond me.

There is another annoying bug  with the outline strokes that I bet n one even bothered to check on.

if you align the stroke to the inside of the path and outline it it will leave the path inside the outline stroke will be opened and the outside path will have an extra point, you can leave the extra point or take the pen tool and delete the top one and that part ill be fixed the open path has to be lassoed and then joined.

Also the new behavior of outline strokes now leaves the original path besides the outlined stroke. In the scenario above you now have two paths  the original and on top of it the one create when you outlined the stroke.

This does not happen when the stroke is aligned with the path at the center of the stroke.

Kind of sloppy testing and coding I think by this version the outline stroke which is important to  large group of users should have been properly corrected.

• 2. Re: Bug in CS5 prevents successful exporting to Photoshop
            Jean-Claude Tremblay User Group Manager

That’s an ugly bug indeed! A simple workaround is to either rasterize the gradient mesh, or apply a rasterize effect on them before exporting them to Photoshop format.

But please go and report it: www.adobe.com/go/wish/

• 3. Re: Bug in CS5 prevents successful exporting to Photoshop
              Aongus Collins Level 1

Thanks for that tip! Applying a rasterize effect is a convenient workaround... until a patch is forthcoming. I've submitted a bug report.

• 4. Re: Bug in CS5 prevents successful exporting to Photoshop
                [scott] Level 6

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

Sure enough, I don't know how this could get past any beta tester ad so they all must have seen this and why they did not make a big enough stink is beyond me.

Not all Illustrator testers are also Photoshop testers and not all Photoshop testers are also Illustrator testers.

• 5. Re: Bug in CS5 prevents successful exporting to Photoshop
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Hmm! The psd is corrupt does not matter what version Photoshop you pen it in.

I can understand a Photoshop tester not catching this but one of the major export use of Illustrator is to the .psd format.

I know that gradient mesh issues where a big to do in CS4 and and a at least two of those users mention they were on the Illustrator beta team.

I would think if it were that important to have very subtle features that something like this stand out. This did not go unnoticed I am positive of that
                  unfortunately that person was no longer a beta tester.

It is neither here nor there clearly water under the bridge. I will file a bug report. but this is inexcusable oth the internal and external testing teams should be  little bit embarrassed.

I know if I were a tester I would make a really big noise and I won't care who was uncomfortable about it. Or how unpopular it made me with the team.

I'm putting in a report.

BTW in case you are interested it did not go unnoticed. Unfortunately the person who noticed it was not in a position to do anything about it.

My 2¢!

• 6. Re: Bug in CS5 prevents successful exporting to Photoshop
                    Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Aongusc

Sorry to tell you that Adobe does not care to provide patches or updates (the last update was released over 4 years ago). You will need to buy CS6 (18 months from now - Approx.)

Adobe did not care to fix all the CS3 bugs or CS4 bugs. But I will be happy to see Adobe proving me wrong and provide an update after many years of neglecting its customers.

• 7. Re: Bug in CS5 prevents successful exporting to Photoshop
                      Doug Katz Level 4

OH MY! What a surprising and unexpected post!

• 8. Re: Bug in CS5 prevents successful exporting to Photoshop
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I feel refreshed now i was getting tired of actually trying to help people with real problems but now that Hans is on the scene my adrenaline  is flowing once again.

It feels good!