21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 10:31 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:

jtemple64

I am importing .mov file that has video/audio on the whole file.  I am getting only the first 2 minutes of audio. I have an external hard drive, and was using that, however I put the .mov file on my computers hard drive thinking that could be the problem, and it still does it. Any help on this would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What is the Audio CODEC of the MOV file?

In the Source Monitor, do you get the full Audio? In the Project Panel's little monitor, do you get the full Audio?

In the Timeline, does the Waveform run the entire Duration of the Clip, or does it stop?

When you Imported the MOV, did you let Conforming (seen with a blue progress bar at the lower-right of the GUI) finish?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
            jtemple64 Level 1

Not sure on the Audio Codec. Where do I find this info?

In the Source Monitor Audio only 2 minutes of audio

In the Project Panel the same 2 minutes of audio

In the Time line it is the same.

It never shows the movie file conforming in the lower right.

Below is the clip info:

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 19.3 GB

Image Size: 640 x 480

Pixel Depth: 24

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 01;30;56;26

Average Data Rate: 3.6 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.9091

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For MOV file info, QT Pro has a good Properties Panel (Ctrl+J), and I think that the regular QT Player has similar, with fewer bits of info. The file info utility, G-Spot does OK with MOV files, but is geared more to AVI and MPEG. It is also PC-only, and I do not know of similar (other than QT Pro/QT Player) for the Mac.

While in QT Player/Pro, does the MOV's Audio play fully?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                jtemple64 Level 1

Plays good all the way through in the quicktime/pro player.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Plays good all the way through in the quicktime/pro player.

Good news - there is Audio completely through the Duration. Now, in QT Pro, hit Ctrl+J (what's that, Cmd+J on the Mac?) and look at the Properties Panel. The Audio CODEC should be shown.

Good luck,

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                    jtemple64 Level 1

The format says

Integer (Little Endian)

Under Annotations it says encoded by:

Lavf50.6.0

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                      Biggestcolombofanever

I currently have the same problem with my audio only showing up for the first second of a 20 second film. I also called a Adobe representative and he assured me that cs5 was not the problem. I'm not sure what to think the problem is anymore. My video is a .Mov file recorded from my camera. I use Cs4 for getting sound out of my .Mov files. I import it and save the project and simply open my pre-existing project in CS5 and it show the audio normally again.

As an alternative without using Cs4, I would use Quicktime pro (Youtube halo2untouchable has great videos!)(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwS68C6kD08) then save file as mp3 or use Audiobooth that came from your sweet or audacity from Cnet (http://download.cnet.com/Audacity/3000-2170_4-10058117.html?tag=mncol). (I don't know how to use these programs to keep the audio and the .Mov file as a group) First method works, not sure about these other alternative methods.

I think I may know why it doesn't render the audio. When you import it and save it, it never generates peaks in bottom right corner when you save the project. Just a guess.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't remember details, and don't have a link (use the forum search) but I do remember there was "something" about little endian that caused problems

So do a forum search for

little endian

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                          Bug In Box

I'm experiencing a similar problem. Working on a short 2:31 project. Everything seems fine, Then on playback, the audio fades out and doesn't come back. Thinking maybe I inadvertantly mashed some hot key, I delete the audio and drop in a fresh 48K aiff. The audio works for a few playbacks then...FADES OUT and doesn't come back.

I exported the whole project with XML to have a look in FCP and the audio works fine but most of the video clips are black. That's a whole other issue.

Dang, I was excited about using my old friend Premiere again.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

AIFF has been known to cause issues with Adobe programs. The same can happen with MP3, plus several other issues.

I always convert these to PCM/WAV and have no issues with any of them.

If the Audio stream is muxed into a single AV file, I just rip the Audio stream, convert to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio and Import that into PrPro. This is done in most audio-editing programs by a simple Save_As. I do not bother re-muxing the Audio and Video streams, and just place the PCM/WAV file onto, say Audio Track 2, sync it up and then either Mute, or Delete the muxed Audio stream from Audio Track 1.

Note: there are differences between PCM/WAV and Linear/WAV. You want PCM/WAV, or there is potential for other problems. Hope that this helps.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                              Bug In Box Level 1

Thanky Hunt.  I'll try this pronto.

Doesn't explain why the AIFF worked just fine for an hour or so while building the project, but if the WAV trick does it, problem solved.

--B

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I've seen several comments on issues with AIFF Audio streams, but it seems to be a bit inconsistent. Not sure what the common elements are, but in one thread an Adobe person (Todd, Jeremy, Wil or maybe Dennis) commented on something being worked on, so maybe there are known, and identified issues, and Adobe is working to rectify them.

With Audition, I've also had some issues, but with it being ported for the Mac, maybe Audition 4 (assuming that it will not be in a dot release, but could be wrong) will offer complete AIFF support and that will also be incorporated into PrPro (I would assume a dot release here), and the issues will be history. Only time will tell.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                                  Bug In Box Level 1

I'm sure the Adobe team is working on issues I can only partially appreciate, but as a user it's a bit perplexing.

Back in 1995 at Warner Bros. animation I was using Premiere on some complex projects using many layers of AIFF's without a hitch.

Maybe the 2010 guys should check the coffee-stained notes of the 15 years ago team.

--B

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There DO seem that some things that were once fine, are now missing, or do not work quite so well. I have seen reports of similar going back, where users of Pr 6.5 lamented the loss of X in PrPro 1.0. Same for CS3, and then CS4. With CS5, I can see the possibility of the loss of more features, due to the 64-bit nature of the new program. We've seen some Effects bit the dust, and there are probably more things that could not translate (or not translate easily) to 64-bit.

What might be going on with AIFF is beyond my "pay grade... " so all I have is limited personal experiences and reports of others in the fora.

I do not recall the thread with the Adobe (or I thought that it was an Adobe comment) comment, or I'd post a link to that. Was recent, but I have not found it yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                                      Bug In Box Level 1

I hear you. If the 64bit speed is the trade-off, I'll take the speed. My two-cents to all software dev guys is: Don't lose features, make the good ones better.

That WAV tip seems to work, no problems so far, thanks for that tip.

BTW I read another forum that said try sizing (and leaving) the clip window at 75% to solve the audio issue, which did not work in my instance.

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I hope that the PCM/WAV continues to work for you. I use that same workflow, with any MP3 files, as they have issues of their own.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I do not recall the thread with the Adobe (or I thought that it was an Adobe comment) comment, or I'd post a link to that. Was recent, but I have not found it yet.

You're probably referring to this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2914657#2914657

After Effects and Premiere Pro use the same code for importing and processing AIFF audio. There's a bug that has been identified in how this software works in CS5. The fix is being tested now. We will never comment on if and when specific features will be in future versions of software, but I can say that we are working on this issue and are considering it for a future update.

In the meantime, we're recommending transcoding AIFF audio to WAV (or PCM if that is what works better for you).

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes Todd, THAT is the one. Thanks for the link.

At my advanced age, it is often difficult to recall if I am in the PrE, the CS5, the <CS5, the Encore, the PS or the InDesign forum, let alone recall where I saw something useful. Curt has to keep reminding me that I am posting in PrPro and not PrE.

Appreciate the help there,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                                              Mando_Corn

Is ADOBE working on Audition 4?

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Is ADOBE working on Audition 4?

Asking a question about the plans for future product releases of Audition on a user-to-user forum for Premiere Pro isn't the best way to get an answer.

I think that the closest that you're going to get to an answer is this:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/audition/

• 21. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Audio Problem:
                                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update fixes issues with AIFF audio as well as many other problems. Please install the update and let us know whether your problem is fixed.

See this page for details about the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update:

http://bit.ly/djiyh4

Please report bugs that persist after the update here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish