16 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 2:25 AM by nealeh

Audio track problems.

prman13 Level 1

A new user of Premiere Elements 8.  I imported a 50 minute, home-made video from a DVD (originally shot on analog tape) into the program.  The trouble is that the audio track sometimes plays, most often does not.  The visible waveform sometimes appears, sometimes not.  Then again, sometimes the sound will play with the waveform visible, but often it does not.  I can't depend on the audio track to play, and so I cannot edit the thing without it being present.  The computer has 4 GB of memory, Quad-core 2.7 GB processor,  NVidia GeForce 9400 GT Video Card - 512MB DDR2.

What would cause the audio track to intermittently drop out and reappear, along with the visual of the waveform?

• 1. Re: Audio track problems.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I have never read of such behavior. My first guess would be that the Conforming was not allowed to complete. When you Import AV files, there is a Conforming process that must take place. This Conforms the Audio to 32-bit floating point for editing, and also creates the PEK files - the Waveform Display. Depending on the computer, the Audio CODEC and the Duration of the file, this can take up to 10-15 mins. With DV-AVI, it happens so fast, that one hardly ever even notices the little blue progress bar to the lower-right of the GUI. With MPEG Audio, it can mean "coffee break" time.

Now, can you also tell us about your computer's I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, available, defragmented free space and how they are allocated? Audio material can be very I/O intensive, and you might have a bottleneck there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio track problems.
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It takes a while for Premiere Elements to conform this type of video. (You might notice a progress bar in the lower right of the interface as it works.) Your video won't work properly until is is completely conformed.

Although the program is capable of editing video from a DVD in most cases (assuming you're using the Hard Drive/DVD project preset) it's not the best workflow to use.

You'll get much snappier performance from the program and much better results (in addition to the fact that you won't have to constantly render your project as you work) if you convert the DVD files to DV-AVIs before you bring them into the program.

MPEG Streamclip will do a great conversion, as described in my books and in my FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Audio track problems.
              prman13 Level 1

Gentlemen:

Although I have 3 HDDs on this computer, the one on which the APE is installed, and which contains all the operating and storage files, is a

Seagate 500GB LP Serial ATA HD 5900/16MB/SATA-3G, of which I have 312 gigs free.  I find that if I leave enough time, the audio is now conforming (it reads that it is conforming a VOB file) and the visual wavefiles appear, but there is no audible sound while the clip is playing.  This is also true when playing the complete file in the preview mode.  I don't have any other audio problems with this new computer that I assembled, neither with Steinberg's WaveLab 6, or with WMP 11 or Nero 9 multimedia apps.
              Barry K.
              • 4. Re: Audio track problems.
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I say in my post below, most, but not all, DVD files will import into Premiere Elements. Unfortunately, some DVD encoders use audio codecs that don't work well in Premiere Elements, which seems to be your case.

Use MPEG Streamclip, as I describe below, to convert your video files to DV-AVIs and this issue should go away.

• 5. Re: Audio track problems.
                  prman13 Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for your continued assistance with this problem.  I downloaded and successfully installed the MPEG-2 Streamclip utility.  The file was reformatted as an AVI clip, and both video and audio play fine -- with Windows Media Player.  However, when I add it to APE 8, with the Get Media function, it goes through a time-consuming "conforming" process, after which some of the waveform appears, yet does not play any sound.  If I expanding the file to see more of the clip scene detail, the waveform disappears and still no audio.  After the conforming process, I save the file, yet if I close it and reopening, the program begins the conformation process all over again.  What's with this program?  The audio is in the clip, but the program doesn't want me to hear it for some reason.  There was a brief moment when it did play, but then went to silence again.  WTF?

• 6. Re: Audio track problems.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For VOB's, this ARTICLE might offer some background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Audio track problems.
                      prman13 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the informative article.

One further thing: I now find that if I leave the AVI file alone for a while, and the "conforming" process does its thing, the audio sound comes back incrementally, as well as the waveform.  This looks more and more to me like a memory problem.  Since the computer has 4 GB of RAM, do you suppose it could be not enough video card memory.  The card I currently have has only a skimpy 512 K of video memory.  Do you think the APE 8 program needs more to function properly in both the video and audio modes? Could it be the case that there is enough memory for the video portions, but the audio space needed is causing it to load slowly and/or not at all?  If the aucio track is not sounding, I notice that saving the file to an MPEG, for example, doesn't bring it back.  The saved MPEG file sound drops out, too.

Barry .K.

• 8. Re: Audio track problems.
                        nealeh Level 5

Memory ought to be fine. Check that you have installed:

• all Windows updates.
                        • latest QuickTime version (7.6.6).
                        • latest nvidia drivers (197.45WHQL).
                        • latest sound drivers.

As your problem is sound then details of your sound card are important. What brand and model is your sound card?

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Audio track problems.
                          prman13 Level 1

Soundcard is a Cakewalk UA-25EX: High Quality 24-bit/96 kHz USB Audio Interface.

• 10. Re: Audio track problems.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Barry,

On both my laptop and my workstation, I am still running XP-Pro, so I only have 4GB RAM on each, though the workstation has the +3GB Switch, while the laptop does not.

Now, even on the laptop, I have 3x SATA II HDD's and have the workload spread out. On the workstation, I have 8x SATA II HDD's, again spread out. I have never had a Conforming issue, though as mentioned, the time for this does depend on the source footage.

As an example, I got in a hurry recently and decided to just edit some WMV files, rather than convert them, as I normally do. When I Imported those Assets, the Conforming took about 15 mins. on the laptop. I had other issues with that Project, and decided to cut my losses. I converted the WMV's to DV-AVI Type II's (as should have been done in the beginning - I know better!), and when I Imported those files, the Conforming was done in about 20 secs. Same Durations, same hardware and software, but different source footage, though otherwise the same general specs, like Frame Size and Frame Rate. That is why I qualified my "it depends" above.

One big plus is to have the OS and program on one HDD, the media on another  and the Project and Scratch Disks on yet another.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Audio track problems.
                              prman13 Level 1

Bill,

What I ultimately ended up doing was to take the clip in question (this time in .AVI format, converted from the original .VOB) and convert it into an .MV4 clip.  I imported this into the existing .PREL file and the audio worked fine, along with displaying the waveform.  I don't know why the original .VOB clip didn't work, even after conversion to .AVI, but there was something about it that the program didn't like.

Thanks for your continued advice and suggestions, and also for your comments about converting analog VHS files into digital AVIs.  I'm looking into getting one of those Canopus ADVC 300 units that you speak highly of.   If I convert a VHS into an .AVI file through this device and burn it to DVD using Premier Elements 8, will the disk have the same video/audio quality that I get from digitizing a VHS tape through my Panasonic DVR E-85H and editing it on the hard disk in this unit, then burning it to DVD?

Barry

• 12. Re: Audio track problems.
                                nealeh Level 5

I have the ADVC300. I would expect your video quality to be as good as or better than routing through your panny. As concerns audio my tapes have a lot of wind hiss so my workflow is that, after import, I:

• unlink the video and audio.
                                • export the audio track to .wav and delete.
                                • clean in Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (denoiser / dehisser) and boost the audio 'brightness' (equalizer).
                                • export back to .wav (remembering to change to 16bit 48000Hz as this is not the Magix default).
                                • import back to PRE on Audio 1.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: Audio track problems.
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Barry,

With the Timebase corrections in the ADVC-300, your quality should be as good as it will get.

I also like Neale's workflow for Audio. Though I use Adobe Audition for most of my high-level audio editing, I have found that the Magix Audio Cleaning Lab to be a great little program. I got my copy bundled with some other Magix program, and considered it a toy. One day, after hours of work in Audition, things were still not going well. In desperation, I opened up ACL and ran the original file through it. Wow! I was blown away with just the default Preset. With some tweaking, I had a very usable Audio file, that was better than what I had obtained with all the power of Audition. I did a bit more tweaking in Audition, and restored a badly damaged file. Since then, I have also recommended that little Magix program. It is well-worth the $ and is just amazing in its power. It cannot work miracles, but comes close.

Happy editing,

Hunt

PS - note that "AVI" can mean many different CODEC's, and here we are talking about very specific AVI's - DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. This ARTICLE will give you some background on AVI's (and MPEG's MOV's, WMV's, etc.)

• 14. Re: Audio track problems.
                                    prman13 Level 1

Thanks to Bill and Neale for sharing your knowledge and experience with me.  Since the topic of stripping off audio tracks for cleaning in audio editors was brought up, I have a final question, since I have not done this yet.  I have deleted background music tracks and imported new ones, but I have not tried cleaning up tracks with background noise, especially when people are talking in the video.  Question is: Might there be a problem synchronizing the newly cleaned audio track with the existing video?  Is there a possibility that the end product would look like one of the English-dubbed, Chinese Kung-Fu movies?

Barry

• 15. Re: Audio track problems.
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Barry,

So long as the Sample Rate, or Duration are not changed, the sync should not be an issue. For tips on syncing, this ARTICLE might be useful.

For "damage control," this ARTICLE might prove useful too. Depending on the overlap of frequencies, the results might be OK, or not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Audio track problems.
                                        nealeh Level 5

The longest video I converted the audio for was 2 1/2 hours and sound remains perfectly synchronised with the movie. Note the movie source was a DV-AVI imported via ADVC300 and, as I described earlier, export for cleaning and import of cleaned audio was via .wav (uncompressed).

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale