7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 9:20 AM by philipjacobs

Imported project from Premiere, then all footage disappears.

Mark Blasco

I put together a video in Premier that is about 7 minutes long.  I did all of the edits, and now I'm ready to do some color correction and effects.

I opened up After Effects and imported my Premiere Pro Project (I did not use dynamic link, since I need to color correct each clip separately).  All of the clips opened into new layers in After Effects, which is great.

OK, now for the problem.  I saved the After Effects project, and closed it.  When I try to reopen the project, all of the footage is missing, and replaced with color bars.

I tried several times to import a premiere project into After Effects, and every time, it is fine until I save it and leave the program, but once I try to open it again, it can't find any of the footage.

I also tried to render it before closing the project, and it renders with color bars replacing all of the video footage.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here?  It seems like I am doing things right, since the project seems to work fine when I create it, but as soon as I close it or try to render it, it cannot find any of the footage.

• 1. Re: Imported project from Premiere, then all footage disappears.
          yenaphe Level 4

Could you be more specific on some points so we can try to help you ?

What AE version are you using ?

What Ppro version are you using ?

Where they purchased as separated products or in a suite (dynamic link related) ?

What OS are you using ?

What codecs are the file in your Ppro project ?

Are your Ppro & AE project on the same local PC or are the projects on a network ?

• 2. Re: Imported project from Premiere, then all footage disappears.
            Mark Blasco Level 1

CS4 Production suite on an i7 XP machine with 6 gigs of ram.  Everything is running on the machine, no networked drives (I have one drive for the OS, one for the media files, and one for audio samples and scratch disk).  The files are all MTS (AVCHD) files.

• 3. Re: Imported project from Premiere, then all footage disappears.
              yenaphe Level 4

Hum... I remember having the same problem as you when CS4 got released. Have you updated AE to 9.0.2, it solved some issues regarding h264 codecs.

I think that the problem comes from the fact that you use AVCHD files. It was something about file recognition but I don't remember exactly.

I'm sure someone will popup with the solution if updating to 9.0.2 (via help > update) doesn't solve your problem.

• 4. Re: Imported project from Premiere, then all footage disappears.
                Mark Blasco Level 1

Yes, I'm on 9.0.2.

I also now tried taking individual clips in premiere and right clicking, and replacing them with after effects.  It pulled them in, and I applied some effects.  They linked between Premiere Pro and After Effects fine, until I saved both files and closed them.  When I reopened premiere, I now get the color bars replacing all of the after effects clips.

What is interesting is that I have also imported an after effects file which has no video (it is an animated title), and that one stays linked even after closing.  The only difference there (other than it not having any video) is that I created that animation in after effects and later imported it, instead of pulling it first from premiere.

If someone has an idea of how to fix this, I would really appreciate it.  As of right now, I really can't use After Effects for color correction and stabilization, which is what I need it to do for this project.

• 5. Re: Imported project from Premiere, then all footage disappears.
                  Mark Blasco Level 1

OK, so this is interesting.  I opened up the AE file again, and still got the missing footage message.  I tried taking one of the pieces of footage and right clicking, than selecting replace footage.  I found the same clip that had been used originally, and selected that.  It looked like the computer had frozen, but I saw in the upper right hand window that it was "conforming" some of the video clips.  When it got down the list to the clip that I had selected to replace, all of a sudden it found all of the clips, and they all were working again.  I saved the file and reopened it, and now it is working correctly.

Any ideas of what may be the cause of this?  Tomorrow I am going to try adding some more clips from the same PP project into AE and see if it now will resolve all of them, or only the ones it "conformed" earlier.

• 6. Re: Imported project from Premiere, then all footage disappears.
                    philipjacobs Level 1

So, has anyone figured this out??? I'm having the same problems, but to no avail.

• 7. Re: Imported project from Premiere, then all footage disappears.
                      Mark Blasco Level 1

The way I got it to work (and I'm going from memory here and not near the studio, so I may not have the right terms, but it should be the right idea) was to select one of the clips and select "replace footage" or "replace source footage" or something like that, and then selected the same clip (so I didn't change anything, just selected the clip that it should have automatically selected in the first place).  It then would go through and re analyze some of the clips, and magically everything would work.  Once I saved the file after that, it worked when opening it up.

Hopefully this helps.  I haven't done any video projects in a while, so it isn't super fresh in my memory exactly what I did, but that was the only way I was able to get it to work.