14 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2010 8:13 AM by JimHess-DIrcbP RSS

??"unsupported or damaged..."??

Tami O'

Hello, novice photographer here. I just got Lightroom. I'm having trouble importing some (just some) of my photo files. I get the error message above. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??
          JimHess-DIrcbP Community Member

You haven't given us very much information.

What version of Lightroom (2.0, 2.1, 2.5, 2.7, etc.)?
          What files will not import?  Probably raw, what camera?
          Tell us about your computer.

The message you are receiving is usually because you are trying to open a raw image from a camera for which there is no support.  Support for new cameras is added routinely at approximately 3 month intervals.
          • 2. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??
            Tami O' Community Member

Thanx for replying so quickly. Lr 2.0, Canon 500D, HP laptop with Vistas, Some old files, some new files, within the same file some phtos will import, others not.

• 3. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??
              Pete Marshall Community Member

Unsupported files, will include files not in RGB colour spaces; file types other than RAW, DNG, JPEG, TIFF and PSD.

Damaged files are usually corrupted by a bad data card or hard drive.

• 4. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??
                seanmcfoto ACP

Update to 2.7.

• 5. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??

Tami O' wrote:

Thanx for replying so quickly. Lr 2.0, Canon 500D, HP laptop with Vistas, Some old files, some new files, within the same file some phtos will import, others not.

Why are you still using Lightroom 2.0?  You should be using version 2.7.  It's a free download and a very simple update procedure.  I know very little about Canon cameras.  But I do know that they have an sRaw file format which is (as I understand it) a highly compressed file that, at one point, Lightroom had difficulty reading.  Can you tell us what file types are the files that will not import?  Since I don't follow in the Canon model line up, I don't know when your model was added to the supported list for Lightroom.  Again, the message you are receiving is often displayed when the raw files are not supported by that particular version of Lightroom.  So you still need to provide more information.

• 6. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??
                    Tami O' Community Member

OK, it's actually 2.3 that I'm using. All the tecnical

stuff aside, why would some photos import & others not when they where all taken at the

same time in the same manner same camera same everything?

• 7. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??
                      Pete Marshall Community Member

Same camera and untouched files will usualy mean.....

Damaged files are usually corrupted by a bad data card or hard drive.
                      • 8. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??
                        Tami O' Community Member

But why would some come through and others not?

• 9. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??
                          seanmcfoto ACP

Raw files that are unsupported by the older versions won't, but JPEGs 

will.

• 10. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??

Okay, I just did some checking.  The Canon 500D was not supported in Lightroom 2.3.  That means that raw files taken by that camera will generate that message when you try to import them into Lightroom 2.3.  In case you are not aware, support must be added for each individual camera model in order for its raw files to be opened.  So, IF the files that generated the error message are raw files (xxx.CR2) then you are getting the expected response from Lightroom.  There is absolutely no reason for you not to upgrade to Lightroom 2.7.  I didn't do enough research to find out which version of Lightroom added support for your camera.  Unfortunately for you, I am a Nikon user, and I don't pay much attention to the list for Canon cameras.

• 11. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??
                              Tami O' Community Member

Thanx to all who tried to figure out my problem. I figured it out, here's what happened if anyone is interested. When I got Lightroom, I thought I didn't need the software that came with my camera, so I uninstalled it. Sure enough, all the photos that were downloaded after I uninstalled were unable to be read in Lightroom. Thanx again.

• 12. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??

Tami O' wrote:

Thanx to all who tried to figure out my problem. I figured it out, here's what happened if anyone is interested. When I got Lightroom, I thought I didn't need the software that came with my camera, so I uninstalled it. Sure enough, all the photos that were downloaded after I uninstalled were unable to be read in Lightroom. Thanx again.

I honestly don't know what you are doing.  But I can tell you that Lightroom does not need any software that came with your camera.  You never did answer the question, so I'm going to ask it again.  What type of files would not load into Lightroom?  Were they CR2?  Did they have that extension?  Again, Lightroom does not depend on any software.  So that was NOT the problem.

• 13. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??
                                  Tami O' Community Member

Yes, they were CR2

• 14. Re: ??"unsupported or damaged..."??

The only reason you needed the software that came with your camera is that it supported the CR2 files from your camera, and the version of Lightroom you are running does not support them.  In case you are not aware, support must be added for each individual camera model from each company, and Adobe has to create profiles for each of those cameras.  If you download and install Lightroom 2.7, Lightroom will then support the CR2 files from your camera.  I don't know for sure which version added the support, but your camera is on the list in version 2.7.

The reason you need the software from your camera now is that you have to use it to create a JPEG or TIFF image.  Then that image can be imported into the Lightroom that you have.  But then you lose some of the advantages of being able to work on the raw image data.

But the choice is yours.  If you want to keep working the way you are that is fine.  But if you want to take full advantage of editing your CR2 files in  Lightroom then it would be advisable for you to install Lightroom 2.7.