13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 5:38 PM by Todd_Kopriva

CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?

macdabby

I just got the CS5 AE demo - installed without errors. When i go to launch it, it crashes and I get an error:

Last log message was: <140735085075424><AppDirs><5>Requested Dir = /Applications/Adobe After Effects CS5/Adobe After Effects CS5.app/Contents/Required

Apparently I can't boot snow leopard into 64 bit because i have a 32bit EFI. Is this why it's crashing?

• 1. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
          yenaphe Level 4

You don't have to boot Snow Leopard with the 64bit kernel to be able to USe AE CS5.

Looks like AE can't access a file it needs to start. Maybe check your permissions and repair your permissions. Or try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
            macdabby Level 1

Checked permissions - doesn't fix

Uninstalled production suite and installed master suite - doesn't fix

I can't boot into 64 bit because of the 32 bit EFI, but according to adobe's site, AE5 will run on 10.5.7 which doesn't boot 64 bit, so I don't think that's the problem. Although premiere won't start either, but with a different error. I don't care about premiere, but that is the other program that requires a "64  bit os". but why would they say it runs on 10.5.7 if thats the problem? i would think they would just give me an error that says i have the wrong cpu or OS?

• 3. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

i would think they would just give me an error that says i have the wrong cpu or OS?

It probably should! Other than that I think you have encircled the problem quite well by yourself. You simply have the wrong Mac for AE CS5, it would seem.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You need an operating system and processor that can run 64-bit software. Mac OS has separated the kernel from the application space such that you don't need to run the 64-bit kernel to run 64-bit applications. But you still need a 64-bit processor.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
                  macdabby Level 1

ok, thanks for the article. according to that, it shouldn't be my machine that's having a problem. It's a core 2 duo, and most of my applications are 64bit (just not the kernel, but like that article says, that's not the problem)

so then there's something wrong with the installer or the program? i have uninstalled and reinstalled twice, rebooting and checking permissions each time

• 6. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
                    yenaphe Level 4

Just to be sure, is your processor a Core 2 Duo or a Core Duo.

The first intel macs were Core Duo, and those procs are not 64bit compatible.

If you have a core 2 duo, then something is going wrong in the install. Does it give you the very same error message each time ?

If AE crash during launch, can you try to read on the splash screen what's the componant it's trying to load at time of crash ?

• 7. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
                      macdabby Level 1

from System Profiler:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP21.00A5.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.14f5

Serial Number (system): YD6467AKW0J

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2C61F01

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

System profiler says it's running 64 bit
                      Screen shot 2010-05-03 at 8.29.44 AM.png

I know what you mean, when everything starts flicking by like all the plugins at the bottom. That doesn't even start. I get the splash screen with nothing on it, then the error pops up, then the splash screen goes away. then a few seconds later the crash reporter pops up.

Screen shot 2010-05-03 at 8.32.25 AM.png

Interesting, I get the same error when launching AE render engine.

• 8. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
                        macdabby Level 1

OK, now I'm really getting frustrated with Adobe

I installed a fresh snow leopard system on another drive and installed AE. When I first tried to run it, it told me I needed to install Rosetta?!? So I installed it - now when I launch AE from that system, it comes up and goes away - no error message at all!

Adobe has really been all downhill since CS3 - I am already starting to use GIMP instead of PS, and I think I'm switching to Motion for motion graphics - I have already switched to Nuke for compositing. The sad thing is that as an independent, I have probably sold a few hundred copies of CS to studios I work for - so that I could use their systems with the most up to date software. Unfortunately, I can't recommend that they upgrade any more of their adobe software. Their software is unstable, they rarely fix their bugs, and their support is horrible.

I understand this is a new product - but can someone please tell me what the *** is going on?

• 9. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The Rosetta issue is a problem with Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard has a list of programs that it thinks needs Rosetta to run. Apple mistakenly put After Effects (and a lot of other programs that don't need Rosetta) on that list. So, it's Mac OSX that's blocking After Effects from starting. You just need to install Rosetta, and then restart the computer a few times. Yes, it's annoying, but that's the state of things. This issue and others with Snow Leopard are described here.

• 10. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
                            mrwilt2000

I'm having a similar problem, but on Windows7 64Bit.  I installed the demo without a problem.  It makes it through the splash screen and right when the GUI is initializing, it freezes and I get a message saying that AE CS5 has stopped responding.  I have Production Premium CS4 and After Effects runs just fine.  I downloaded the latest drivers for my video card, but I'm still getting the error.  Here are my specs:

hp Z800 workstation

Intel Xeon E5530 @ 2.4GHz

6 GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX3800 1GB

Windows 7 Enterprise 64Bit

• 11. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
                              macdabby Level 1

ok i fixed it .... thanks adobe for being so helpful with your errors messages!!

i was in PS CS5 and i couldn't use the text tool at all - it would cause a crash. someone recommended i take out some fonts and try again.

the culprit was GPOP03E.TTF.

that fixed the PS problem AND the AE problem - and wouldnt you know it - it also allowed illustrator to open up now - illustrator didn't give me ANY errors at all - just bounced once and disappeared - nothing about fonts in the crash log

• 12. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
                                Jeremy Saville Level 1

Freaking genius!  Thanks, It's 1:30 in the morning, and I'm dealing with this crap.  How come Adobe doesn't know that this problem exists.  Come on guys, this guy figured it out.  Thank you so much.  I don't have that font, but I removed almost all of them temporarily, and what do you know- the programs come back to life.  Rosetta my ***.  Sweet Rosetta stone she thought she was a problem but it was a font after all. Get back, get back Adobe engineers get back to the drawing board.

• 13. Re: CS5 crash on launch / 32 bit problem?
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update is available:

http://bit.ly/9ex5Cf

This  update address a crash because of a bad font. After you've installed   the update, please let us know whether it works for you.

If  you have any problems with the update, or if you have bugs to report   after you've installed the update, please let us know through the usual   channels:

http://bit.ly/93d6NF