36 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 10:12 PM by the_wine_snob

CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!

Burak Gulen Level 1

Hi , I have a problem about .m2t (Sony HDV format). When I was using CS4, I solved this problem with MainConcept Plug-in . However, this plug-in is disaster because it puts emblem on corner of videos and it causes sound problems as well. On the other hand , I was waiting for CS5 in order to complete my project because of the fact that Supported file formats with CS5 will include .m2t according to the new features of CS5. However, I imported my CS4 project to CS5 and I realized that m2t videos just imported as an audio file. There is no video of them. When I try to import this videos again , the result is same , only audio. I don't want to use cs4 and its disaster plugins. I was hoping that CS5 support .m2t file format natively but  maybe  I did something wrong.  Can anyone figure out something to solve this problem ?

• 1. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

HDV can only be captured, not imported. CS4 and versions before that have always supported HDV, so something in your workflow has corrupted that. Maybe the trial version of the MainConcept plug-in?

• 2. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
            Burak Gulen Level 1

Hımm, What should I do to complete my project ? MainConcept plug-in is not trial by the way. I have Sony FX1000 HDV camera and the tapes of project. Is it going to be OK if I capture videos again with CS5 ? CS4 was not recognize my camera properly so I captured whole tapes with Sony Vegas. Sony Vegas also natively support .m2t videos , import as well. Even if I capture videos with CS5 it won't be same because Sony Vegas splits videos hundreds of part so the project videos will change and I will have to edit them from the begining. But I want to complete my project with Adobe Premiere. What should I do ?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82870.html#Project - import      .m2t file format can be import according to adobe by the way.

• 3. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
              Burak Gulen Level 1

Please , I am in trouble . Isn't there anyone to help me ?

• 4. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                Giorgio1957 Level 3

Wow,

sorry, don't know about CS5 that I'm going to buy as the italian release will be ready, but the strange is that your CS4 has troubles with .m2t.

I usually import .m2t files as my videocam is an "old" HDR SR.

I had troubles with the first releases of Premiere but, as the 4.2 appeared, everything works properly with 1920x1080 as well as 1440x1080.

And without any third plug-ins.............

Are you working with a demo version?

If yes, this is the problem!!!

Giorgio

• 5. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

You have a system problem if you cannot capture hdv.  It should be no problem.

Explain what happens when you try to capture hdv.

• 6. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                    Burak Gulen Level 1

Interesting , not only my CS4 but also CS5 does not support .m2t . I couldn't find perfect solution. My CS4 is not demo and its version is 4.2 as well. I didn't try to capture with CS5 but CS4 did not recognize my cam and I had to capture with Sony Vegas. Now , my problem is not about capturing because My editing has almost done but third plug-in emblem and sound are problem so I don't want to export my project with problems. I have to import my .m2t clips to CS4 or CS5 natively. I mean I don't want to use third party solution because it affects performances and quailty. Why my sowftwares have problems ? What should I do ?

• 7. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If the MainConcept plug-in is not the trial, I do not understand any watermark that you are seeing.

Does CS5 now recognize your camera? How is it hooked to the computer? Does the OS recognize that camera - sounds like it does, as Vegas can Capture from it?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                        Burak Gulen Level 1

Yes Sony Vegas easily capture. Premiere CS4 can olny capture with Mainconcept. If I delete Mainconcept it doesn't support videos. I didn't try capture with CS5 yet , but My problem is not capturing now , I have to import m2t clips because my editing has almost done , so I can not start over with new capture. Thanks for your helps by the way...

• 9. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Is this the traditional problem that the camera captures in one format only and outputs the data in a pseudo different format?

"In addition to 1080/60i recording, the HDR-FX1000 offers a 1080/24p and 1080/30p Progressive Scan mode that enables shooting with film-like results. Signals scanned at 24p/30p are converted to 60i (using 2-3 pulldown for 24p) and recorded on MiniDV tape, allowing footage to be played and edited using existing HDV products. In this way, progressive images can be handled in the conventional HDV editing environment." 

This problem has been discussed with other cameras, unfortunately i do not know the answer.

• 10. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                            beaucamera

What if you no longer have the camera, but have saved the .mt2 file to your hard drive?

How do you get the saved .mt2 file into you movie?

• 11. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

In that case, converting the files might be the best workflow. Can Adobe Media Encoder handle this for you? That would be my first examination.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                beaucamera Level 1

What format would you suggest converting the .mt2 files to?

• 13. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                  Burak Gulen Level 1

Thank you everybody for helps I figure out my problem and solved it. My CS5 was a trial version , because before purchase a full pruduct I have to be sure is it solve my m2t problem so firstly I tried it.  But , I realized trial limititation in this forum. And my CS5 is now not a trial ,and it import whole my footage and my previous project decently. Everything is looking allright now. If Adobe cook okra , I will eat

• 14. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

The trial strikes again!

Thanks for reporting back.  The trial tends to waste a  lot of people's time and energy.

• 15. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                      vadervideo Level 1

I don't think that was the case (demo version vs real version) at all. I just tried to import an m2t file in a full blown version and it hangs infinitely. Yet on AE CS4 it loads and very fast at that. There is something at play here. I don't know what, but I am sure there is something with the codec situation from CS4 to CS5. Weird. It would be nice to hear back from Adobe on this one. It might be totally obvious, and then again, it may not.

I would guess if I run the files through Neoscene (converts to full AVI) it might work.. but that stagnates the workflow for sure.

• 16. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!

It depends a lot on what produced the m2t file,  I did not have any raw footage so I downloaded a test clip apparently from a Canon HV?0 camera, and while it said  in the title "24P" I just put it into the timeline of a standard 60i AVCHD project and it loaded and played in the timeline beautifully.  What was the source of your clip?

• 17. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                          vadervideo Level 1

I shoot with a Sony HVR-A1U - it's not the file, that I know because as stated, CS5 loads it without an issue. Hence, there is something strange - when I have time I will dig into the codec list more deeply and see how bridge handles it.

• 18. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                            Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Sorry, Vader, but you lost me completely.  The file loads in CS5 without issue, but it doesn't?  Which is it?  You're going to need to break it down for me before I can respond coherently...  is there a version typo here?

• 19. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                              chiupolinii Level 1

I have a similar problem but slightly different one. The source of my video is a Sony HDR-FX7E video cam. I downloaded the video into my hard disk by using HDV Split and the video were downloaded as m2t files in native 1440 x 1080 50i HDV format. They clips were then split and imported into my project operating under Premiere CS3. My projects worked fine.

Those projects could be opened and worked in in my Premises CS4 without a glitch. CS4 could also open those source videos and work out a new project without any problem.

But when I tried to import the same projects into the Premiere CS5 (Windows 7, 64 bit, Nividia GTX480), it told me that it had to update the project and a new suffix with "_1" was given. When the proejct was opened, it took never never to have the clips rendered. When I tried to play back the time line, it freezes after a while although the sounds would go on sometime, or alterantively the whole programme simply grounds to a halt. The result is I cannot edit my previous projects taken with the FX7E except to go back on the Premiere CS4.

Importing source videos from my m2t archieve into CS5 met with the same fate, i.e. a long wait each time for the clips in the time line to be rendered and systems hangs easily.

However when I imported the video taken with a Sony CX550 handycam in AVCHD format, Premiere CS5 works just fine. And I can complete my projects without a glitch.

My conclusion is that if I have to work on my old m2t files in my archieve, I have to use Premiere CS4. But when I work on AVCHD files I have to use CS5. I have not tried to combine the 2 types of videos into one single project yet.

But this is not right, is it? Premiere CS5 is supposed to support also m2t HDV format. But the support is as good as no support at all.

• 20. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

It sounds like you have a different problem than CS5. The fact that it correctly imports the old project and renames it to _1 is as expected. However when it then 'hangs' or as you say never never, it looks more like a disk problem than a CS5 problem. What is your disk setup, what are the spaces you have available on all your disks, what are the interfaces, RPM's, how are your scratch files setup, etc.?

• 21. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!

Harm, is there any possibility that HDV split does something that CS5 is not prepared to accept?

chiupolinii,  can you just try a straight Premiere capture of a segment to see if the above is true?

• 22. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                    chiupolinii Level 1

Ham and Bill,

I have 4 internal hard disks and 2 external hard disks, each one with at least 1.5 TB of memory capacity. I am running on an i7 920 with 8 GB of DDR3 ram running at 1600 Mhz. The video card, as I said, is a GTX 480 (and I managed GPU acceleration with the Mercury Machine in PPro CS5 running).

All 4 internal hard disks are sata II running at 7,200 rpm. The 2 external hard disks (where the HDV video files are stored) are also sata II but connected to the computer via a 800 Mbps fireware port, i.e. IEEE 1394 800.

One hard disk is partitioned into 2 so that one partition houses the Windows XP (32 bit) and the other part houses the Win 7 (64 bit). Yes, I have a due boot system. Premiere Pro CS4 is installed under the Windows XP OS, and CS5 installed under the Win 7 OS.

My projects are saved in a different hard disk from the OS disk. Scratch disks in both PPoro CS4 and CS5 are all directed to the disk where "My Projects" reside. So it is not the same as the OS disk.

There is no RAID arrangment to any of the hard disks.

At first I also thought it was a hard disk problem. But after trials, I believe it is unliekly to be so. This is because (1) the HDV clips (stored in the 2 external disks) run perfectly under CS4 when I boot into Win XP. The problem only occurs when I boot into Win 7 and using CS5 to load them when the "never never" delay occurs. (2) When I import the AVCHD files stored in another internal hard disk. If hard disk is an issue, why the HDV clips run perfectly under CS4 but not under CS5 giving the same hardware set up? I kind of suspect that the 64 bit system simply has a problem dealing with projects created under 32 bit OS - at least in my case.

As for Bill's suggestion that I should try importing my HDV videos with Premiere Pro instead of HDV Split, I may try it later. But this is in practice of no help to me because all my "historical archives" recorded in DV tapes were imported, over time, using HDV Split and now stored in my 2 external hard disks. To try to import them again using Premiere Pro of more than 100 DV tapes so as to make them work under CS5 is simply not practical. I interim solution is simply to boot into win xp and continue using CS4 to edit the HDV clips, while I would boot into Win 7 and use CS5 to edit the latest AVCHD clips.

That makes do. But that is still not right, isn't it? I have been using premire since the 90s starting with Premiere 4. A new version is usually better than the earlier version (why else we should foot out our money to buy th new one?) And CS5 was supposed to be an upgrade, not a separate product severed from its lineage.

• 23. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Does the same problem occur when you copy media from the FW800 disk to an internal SATA disk? Trying to rule out the FW800 disks.

• 24. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                        chiupolinii Level 1

Dear Harm and Bill,

I took up the hint dropped by Harm and copied a host of HDV clips from the external hard disks (linked by IEEE 1394 800 to the computer) into an internal hard Sata disk. I then imported the HDV clips into CS5 and, boom, it works just fine. So as Harm said, it was a hard disk issue.

But then I don't understand why the same HDV clips are not causing the hard disk issue when working under CS4 but becomes an issue under CS5 which is a later system?

I notice that, unlike CS4, video files that have been imported into CS5 have got 4 types of secondary files added to each original video file stored in the disk, i.e. the Mpgindex file, the pek files, the CFA files and the XMP files. It also appears to regernate the original clip becasue its modification date was also changed to the current date. So it seems that CS5 does create a great deal more traffic between the programe and the disk in which the video files were stored than CS4. If this is the case, I think Adobe may wish to advise users of CS5 to use only Sata connected hard disks, and not IEEE1394 connected external hard disks, less still USB connected hard disks.

• 25. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                          Giorgio1957 Level 3

I'm quite agree with Harm when he says you have different problems than CS5.

I have an "hold" HDR-SR12, so I work often with these .m2t files.

I've worked in CS4 as well as CS5 and migrated also CS4 projects to CS5.

No problem at all.

As far as I know, the focus could be the native CS3 project, but, in this way I can't be helpful as I do not know the Suite number 3.

(didn't know CS3 could read .m2t)

Hope this can give you the wright input.

Ciao

Giorgio

• 26. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                            chiupolinii Level 1

Forgot to say thank you to Harm and Bill for the kind suggestions. Thank you.

• 27. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!

One more thing that you probably is causing your problems with CS5.  You have this apparently on the second much slower partition of the disk drive.  Depending on the size of the first partition Win 7 and the Adobe CS5 cache files could be located on a much slower tail end of the disk as you can see from the plot below.

WDVRand1TBSeagate.jpg

• 28. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                                vadervideo Level 1

That was a typo - sorry - I meant CS4 (AE) - one more thing - these files were actually captured uisng OnLocation (CS4-32bit) -

I ran a few more tests while reading some more of what people have to say here and I discovered the following:

It seems that AE CS5 does require a very fast drive that is connected directly via Sata or whatever. Just for fun I put the test file on various drives to see what would work and what wouldn't - here are the results as far as drives that I have available now:

External USB (external) - any speed: fail

Internal Sata - any speed (7200rpm or greater): pass

This is on an I7 6GB ram Win7 Ultimate 64bit..

My conclusion concurs with others that drive speed and connection (get as fast as heck) does have an impact on AE CS5. My next test will be (as soon as I get one) on an external Sata Raid. I doubt this will be a problem and should work based on what I am seeing now.

• 29. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                                  chiupolinii Level 1

vadervideo,

In case my experience on PPro has any relevance to your test on AE CS5, I have taken down my external hard disk (originally connected to the computer via FW800) containing the HDV materials and plugged it into a docking station connected with external ATA. It works just fine in PPro CS5. So bandwidth is a real issue in CS5.

• 30. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                                    Kenny_Goos Level 1

To tell you the truth.

The only reason Iam using Premiere Pro is for the different time lines that you can use and the easy way to expand(unlock) to more monitors.

One 32" monitor holds the timelines(two visible), and the others the adobe monitors and other editing windows.

I use one or two for the source, one for the final, one for inserts, one for overlays, one for audio, one for the title and one extra.

My HD material from the Sony EX3 is converted to Panasonic-HD(DVC-Pro HD) codec with Sony Vegas 9c.

Hereafter it is easy to use in CS5. You get large file, but it is no long gop;  it is intra frame.

I cannot see any degradation of the picture.

I wonder why Sony is able to make such a compact editor; around 500mb, to do so much and not cause so much problems?

Adobe is in the giga with Premiere Pro and causes a lot of problems.

They should link a database to errors with possible solutions even if it crashes.

• 31. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                                      jeremy d. Level 3

It would seem that Vegas doesn't do at least one thing you want it to, or else you wouldn't be using Premiere at all.

I wonder why Sony is able to make such a compact editor; around 500mb, to do so much and not cause so much problems?
                                                                      • 32. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!

vader, one thing that you should be aware of is the tremedous speed up of CS5 when you have 12 GB of RAM versus 6 GB.  I am not yet prepared to publish my benchmark numbers but my initial results show a major speed up on MPEG encoding and even with the MPE engine doing the H.264 encoding more CPU RAM (going form 6 BG to 12 GB speeds that up slightly..

• 33. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                                          Kenny_Goos Level 1

Look at it my way. I grow up with Premiere

; I have had all versions.

It started with the Matrox/Premiere combo and when the PC's got faster, I let the Matrox go.

Told you allready: The multiple time-lines and the onlocking of the windows is great,

but stability and performance with certain codec - mpeg2 long GoP(Sony EX3) - is so so.

Codec conversion is not the art of premiere pro.

Why do all new versions suffer so many "errors" which are not fully corrected in the updates.

IMO Premiere CS3 3.2 is a better product than CS4 for mpeg2 HD;

I have  to use CS5 a little bit more to give my opinion. Iam using a demo version of CS5.

And for Sony VEGAS. It makes wonderful codec conversions and is rock solid.

Pitty it doesnot have the ability to create more time lines.

• 34. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I have  to use CS5 a little bit more to give my opinion. Iam using a demo version of CS5.

what is NOT in the trial http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407938.html

• 35. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                                              vadervideo Level 1

Okay all, This is probably redundant, but...

I installed an e-sata raid (raid 0 stripe set) and took one of my larger file candidates from a sony A1U - via a Sony M10 deck (true Sony m2t file) and attempted to load it into AE CS5 - this worked! So don't even try to do this on external USB 2.0 devices or other slower mechanisms. Hence, the bottom line seems to be confirmed - CS 5 likes fast bandwidth. Of course scrubbing inside of AE CS5 is also absolutely marvelous - super fast!

Hope this gives some insight and help.

• 36. Re: CS5 doesn't support .m2t file format properly !!!
                                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting. Bandwidth is very important.

Appreciated,

Hunt