4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2010 10:33 AM by the_wine_snob

AVI to HD: what's the best encoding?

Giorgio1957 Level 3

Hi everyone,

I'm editing a new HD project with 1920x1080 video footage and underwater movies recorded in AVI 720x576 (old camera with old U.W. housing).

I'm trying to convert the 720x576 video in 1920x1080 using TMPGE XPress, but video appears bit "out-focused" as the frame is bigger than the original.

Tried also with other encoding sws (AVS, MainConcept...) but, at the moment, the best (or the less worst) is TMPGE.

Any idea to convert this stuff outputting a good video as close to the original as possible?

Thanks in advance

Giorgio

• 1. Re: AVI to HD: what's the best encoding?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It will never be close to the original if you scale up that much, but your best bet is RedGiants Instant HD Pro.

"Never try to keep up with the Joneses, drag them down to your own level. It is a lot cheaper". Same applies to video.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AVI to HD: what's the best encoding?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Giorgio!

About the best SD to HD conversion that I have seen was Red Giant's Magic Bullet InstantHD, per Harm's suggestion. The results will have to be measured by you however. Might not be any better than with your workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - thanks for all of your input on the Encore forum!

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AVI to HD: what's the best encoding?
              Giorgio1957 Level 3

Thanks indeed,

nice plug-in, but (didn't tell in previous threads) I have to convert hundreds of underwater short films, and, working with Premiere to do it, takes bit long time.

Anyway, as experienced, I thinks TMPGE XPress is a good converter, as good as Magic Bullet is.

AVS and MainConcept aren't as good as the mentioned ones.

Honestly I expected better results but, I know, I'm asking a lot to these sws......

Bye, to the next thread!

P.S.: Bill: it's a pleasure to be in this forum. I was "desaparecido" just because I was on holydays last months.

Sumatra, Indonesia (bad local and badly kept international wines!!!!)

Now I'm back!!!!

Troubles will come!!!!

Ciao,

Giorgio

• 4. Re: AVI to HD: what's the best encoding?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you are back safely. Bet you have some great footage to work with.

Sorry to hear about the wines, but that is life. I find similar, when traveling to the Deep South in the US - Bourbon is the drink, with beer/ale behind. I often have to bring my own wines and even wine glasses!

Nice to have you back, and good luck,

Hunt