1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 1:24 PM by TheGaryP

PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files

Colin-B Level 1

I am running Windows 7 which is installed on my E drive - this may be significant to the problem.

I recently installed Premiere Elements 8 and installed the 8.0.1 patch right away.

I can Get Media OK to import my video files from a folder on my D drive, and drag the files onto the timeline OK. But soon afterwards parts of Premiere seem to think that the clip files are on my F drive, so the clips in the organiser just change to generic icons and hovering the curson over them shows a pathname on the F drive - the pathname is correct but the drive should be D. But in Project if you right click on the file and select properties it says their pathname is on the D drive which is correct.

Is this a Premiere Elements bug and if so is there a workaround?

• 1. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Am I correct that your E:\ drive is your system drive? Is this a dual-boot system?

It sounds like your OS is loosing the Path for the Assets, and this is definitely something that should be addressed as you might be risking loosing a lot more than links to your Assets.

Can you give us a full layout and specs. on your computer, especially details on each HDD and how you have them allocated. Probably something there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
            Colin-B Level 1

Thanks Bill, yes it is dual boot .

It is an Acer laptop with a single hard drive. Vista is installed on the C partition. The D partition contains all of my general data and video files. Partition E was the first free partition so I installed Windows 7 there. Premiere Elements is installed into Windows 7 (partition E). Vista and Windows 7 work fine in dual boot as you would expect. It only seems to be Premiere Elements that has this odd behaviour.

Here is the partition layout of the hard drive:

C: Vista - size72.7GB

D: size 46.9GB

E: Windows 7 - size 19.5GB

F: size 9.87GB

If I copy a video file onto my C drive then Premiere Elements seems to be happy with this - all parts of the program seem to get the drive letter correct as C. Files on drive D seem initially to be imported correctly but then the organiser parts of the program seem to think they are on drive F.

• 3. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
              nealeh Level 5

With a standard dual-boot system drive letters will change depending on which partition you boot from. Thus if you boot Vista the Vista partition will show as drive C: and if you boot W7 then it's partition will show as drive C:

Naturally then, as you boot into a particular O/S, drive letter assignments are being changed. I wonder if these drive letter assignments are being inconsistent and, consequently, confusing PRE. It may be worth your while repartitioning your drive to have Vista and W7 installed in the first two partitions, leaving your general data and video in the last partition. Then your O/S partitions should just switch with each other (active O/s labelled as C:, inactive as D:). Having two physical drives I don't have a problem as my data are all installed onto the second drive that always has the same letter assignment (I:) regardless of which O/S I boot into. Here is my layout:

disk.png

The key feature on my disk 1 partition is that 'User_Apps' will always be assigned E:, regardless of whether I boot Vista or W7. Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                Colin-B Level 1

... and bit more info.

I've just tried copying a video file to my E and F drives to see what would happen if I tried to import files from those two drives.

For the file on drive E, the organiser seemed to think it was on drive F

For the file on drive F, the organiser correctly thought it was on drive F

However I noticed when importing the file that was really on the F drive using "Get Media->PC Files and Folders", the "Add Media" dailog box appears with the list of "All supported files" OK. But when I click on the file I wanted to import, the list of files flickers and most of them disappear - only about 6 arbitrary files remain listed. Then pressing the up or down cursor key to move up or down the list causes one file to disappear with each keypress from the remaining list. In fact the first press seems to leave 1 file listed twice! I had to change the filter to "All files" to get the complete list of files back.

I think this problem with the "Add media" dialog box is caused by Premiere Elements' hook into the dialog which is doing the selection of supported files for the list. Maybe this is getting the drive letter screwed up too and being unable to interrogate the files, and they are therefore just being removed from the list.

I may be wrong but this looks like Premiere Elements has a serious bug in its drive or folder parsing.

• 5. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                  Colin-B Level 1

nealeh wrote:

Thus if you boot Vista the Vista partition will show as drive C: and if you boot W7 then it's partition will show as drive C:

If I remember correctly that would only happen if the 2 system partitions were on different hard drives.

My laptop only has 1 physical hard drive, and when booted into Windows 7 the drive letter is E and not C. This is what the drive letters look like when booted into Windows 7

drive mappingd.gif

and they are the same in Vista and Windows 7.

Even if the letters *were* different between Vista and W7, Premiere Elements is only installed in Windows 7 so there should be no issue about drive letters changing and confusing PE.

Unfortunately, it isn't really practical to move all of the data around and repartition my hard drive and reinstall Windows 7 in the hope that it will work on drive D to work around what looks like a Premeier Elements bug. If I have to, I may just have to install PE into Vista instead, but I was hoping to gradually migrate to Windows 7.

• 6. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Wow, that is not a scheme that will lend itself to video editing for several reasons.

First, with a partitioned HDD, the OS (whichever one you boot to), will think it is dealing with multiple, physical HDD's, when it is not. The OS will expect reads/writes will be much quicker, than they can be. One of the first laws of physics is that an object can be in only one place at one time - think the heads of your single, partitioned HDD. It can ONLY be over one spot in the platters at any time, but if you have 4 partitions, the OS will expect it to be in 4 places at the same time.

The partitions also cause undue wear and tear on the HDD.

Then, there is the problem that Neale points up. If you boot from another HDD (partition in your case), it will treat the other HDD's (or partitions) differently, assigning different drive letters.

I'd think strongly about adding an additional HDD, if at all possible. Most laptops only allow for 1 physical HDD, and a few will allow for 2. At least one allows for 3, and that is what sold me on the Sagers.

I think that you will likely have issues with your setup, but I do wish you good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                      nealeh Level 5

Colin-B wrote:

nealeh wrote:

Thus if you boot Vista the Vista partition will show as drive C: and if you boot W7 then it's partition will show as drive C:

If I remember correctly that would only happen if the 2 system partitions were on different hard drives.

Odd. As you will see from my earlier image both OS partitions are on the same drive. Which did you install first - Vista or W7?

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                        Colin-B Level 1

Hi Neale. Vista was installed first ages ago. Then Windows 7 recently. I also have an old desktop machine which isn't used much now but has two installations of Windows 2000 - one on the C drive and the other on (coincidentally) the E drive (C, D and E are on the same physical hard drive). The C and E drives are consistent no matter which of the two W2Ks I am booted into. That machine also has 2 other physical hard drives and the drive letterson those drives does differ depending on which OS I am booted into - but the C D and E are always the same.

I'm a bit hazy about this, but from what I can recall the primary partitions are assigned letters first, then other partitions are assigned letters after that.

Thanks for your comments too Bill. I understand the issues about having video files on a separate physical hard drive. At present I'm only using the laptop for some light testing so it won't be a workhorse video editing machine.

Whatever the performance issues, it seems clear that this is a Premiere Elements bug. It should not matter what partition Windows is installed on, the apps should be aware of the drive letter of the system drive.

I will report it as a bug, but as I can't use it in my Windows 7, I will just have to install it again into Vista and hope for the best.

Thanks again for your comments everyone.

• 9. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                          nealeh Level 5

It might be worth going into disk management and assigning new drive letters to the partitions. Then put them back to what they should be. It might be that some obscure system setting may be corrected by doing this. Other than that I'm fresh out of ideas - sorry I can't be more help.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                            Colin-B Level 1

Ok, so now I've just installed PE8.0.1 on my C drive (Vista). All seemed to be OK - the files on my D drive are correctly identified as on the D drive.

But I just tried Add Media-ing a file on my F drive - and guess what? It thinks it is on the D drive!

I wonder if PE is reading the drive letter and just storing it as an offset above the next lowest partition letter that is a primary partition. Then when reconstituting the drive letter is it interpreting the offset above the CURRENT system drive letter. Thus when I was booted into Windows 7 on E, files on my D drive were 1 drive letter above the next lowest system drive C - this could translate to the incorrect drive letter F. And now I am using Vista, files on my drive F are 1 drive letter above the next lowest system drive E - this could translate to the incorrect drive letter D. But this all just guess work from the bizzare behaviour of PE.

I have lots of software loaded onto my Vista C partition and none of it behaves like this.

I have raised a bug report with Adobe and pointed it at this thread.

• 11. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                              alexander_behring Level 1

Hi Colin, hi all,

I'm relieved to have found this discussion, because I'm having the exact same problems! Here's my misery:

I'm running Windows7 64bit and use a 1TB WD harddrive partitioned into C and D. No dual boot, no changing drive letter assignments for those partitions. Photoshop Elements 8 was just recently installed onto C. My pictures reside in d:\Shares\Media\Bilder (yes, I'm German ). I have NO network drives connected (this might be an important information, see below).

Now, when I try to add photos via the File --> Add Photos/Videos --> from files and folders (In German Datei --> Fotos und Videos laden --> Aus Dateien und Ordnern) I encounter the same "item disappearing problem" as Colin did. In the dialog, I click on my computer --> d drive and as soon as I click in the list of files and folders, some of the items magically disappear. Not good.

For the "magically changing drive letter", I have a different story with the same end. When I add my images without any additional drive letters other than C and D, everything is fine. The thumbs (also after restarting PSE) are linked to the correct path. But when I substitute a drive letter for a path (I need this for other software installed) using the dos command: "subst G: D:\Shares\B+A" and start PSE, suddenly all thumbs are linked to G:\Shares\Media ... When I add another subst (let's say M), then PSE thinks all images reside on M....

My thought about this: I thing PSE (and premiere, as Colin has his problems with this) uses some strange internal way of enumerating HDDs. Maybe even an non-deterministic way - I read in the internet that you don't want the images to reside on network drives. Maybe this check is messing it all up?

I really love your software guys, but this is seriously dangerous. It cost me days to figure out my workaround (don't use that specific import function, close all other programs and undo all drive substs before starting PSE). Please fix it!!!

• 12. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files

Little update: it seems the problem is the dirve serial number (volume id). In PS6, there was such a problem already: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404560.html. It would be great to have it fixed anyway, because just saying "unmount" the virtual drive (substituted drive letter ...) is NOT a solution and will not work for me.

Thanks

Alex

• 13. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Partitioning a HDD is not a good idea for video editing. Besides the drive S/N issue, this ARTICLE will give you a bit more background.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - thanks for your link to that Adobe KB Article, and I have added that to the above linked article. That was a possibility that I had not considered.

• 14. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                    Colin-B Level 1

Thanks for the link that article.

Come on Adobe, this is barmy. I have to merge all of the partitions on my laptop into 1 ?  This just isn't reasonable and I've never encountered any other software with this requirement. Please fix it.

• 15. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

This is not really an Adobe issue, but an I/O and OS issue. Adobe has no control over how the OS identifies the HDD's.

Partitions will slow down any NLE, that uses the partitions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                        Colin-B Level 1

I'm willing to accept slowing down of the system as I'm using my laptop for light testing.

If I understand the article correctly, and if it is the same reason for the problem I'm seeing, the affected software stores the pathname and volumeid of each file, but NOT a partition letter/identifier. I find it difficut to believe that I can't use PE on a partitioned laptop. I still think there is a problem here with PE that needs fixing. The solution being to merge all the partitions isn't reasonable. I can't really be expected to reformat my whole laptop and lose dual boot etc just to get one application to work properly.

• 17. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you feel that this is a Bug, then see this ARTICLE, as it will tell you how to effectively report that to Adobe.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files

Thanks for the discussion guys.

As Colin, I do think that both (we are talking about two thingings here!) "features" are to be reported as bugs. I will do this now. These two appear in Premiere AND PSE - I will report them for PSE only and write into the report that they are relevant for Premiere, as well.

Done.

• 19. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                              nealeh Level 5

Re-visiting  old ground but, although using PRE7, I am doing exactly what you are trying to do (see my responses at 3, 7 & 9 in this discussion). Did you try to re-assign the drive letters in Disk Management (post 9)?

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale

• 20. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files

Hi Neale,

actually, you cannot assign new drive letters to substituted drives via disk management. They just don't show up there. The core of the problem lies not in the OS - it is working beautifully. The problem is that Adobe remembers the volume IDs (serial numbers of the HDDs). And these are the same for the i) original drives and ii) all drives that actually are just paths on the original drives. This way (my config) Adobe sees drives D, G, M and W as one drive. Adobe then just takes the last one encountered with the same volume ID (in this case W).

But thanks for the hint. I hope the programmers find en efficient way to resolve this bug.

Regards,

Alex

• 21. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                  Colin-B Level 1

If you feel that this is a Bug, then see this ARTICLE, as it will tell you how to effectively report that to Adobe.

Thanks Bill, I reported it as a bug in early May (mentioned earlier in this thread) and pointed it at this thread. No response from Adobe (yet).

I did try reassigning the drive letters but it didn't help. The problem seems to be that Adobe are ignoring drive letters/partitioning.

• 22. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Alex,

Many programs use the HDD's ID number for location.

As there are very few reasons for doing partitions nowadays, my suggestion is to eliminate those, and just add physical HDD's. There are many bottlenecks created by using partitions.

OS's have been able to see large volumes for over a decade now, so the need to partition has all but disappeared, and performance will be enhanced with additional physical HDD's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                      Colin-B Level 1

I agree that given a system for serious video editing separate hard drives are preferable.

But in my case I want to use my laptop for some light testing. The built-in hard drive is way big enough to hold all of my data files and 2 versions of windows and I want to be able to carry all this around without a separate hard drive. In this case there is a need to have separate partitions - for dual boot and also to keep my data files separate from the windows partitions (always a good idea). Everything has always worked flawlessly in this regard EXCEPT for Adobe PE. All software I've ever used is drive-letter/partition aware and just works - I can't undestand why Adobe would effectively depart from this model. Maybe Adobe think that I've no business trying to use PE on a partitioned system but it seems an unreasonable restriction which I didn't see mentioned in the sales blurb.

Anyway, I'm starting to rant so I'll go and have a short lie down. 

• 24. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin-B,

I do the same thing with my laptop. One of the criteria that I sought was a 3x physical HDD setup, just to allow for video editing.

Now, I do use FW-800 externals, but mostly for large Projects, especially if I will be migrating those to the workstation for final editing. I understand not wanting to lug a ton of peripherals about.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                          TheGaryP Level 1

Mr. Hunt

Your arguments about partitioning harddrives are close to BS. These days, when 2GB drives are available, it would be insane to leave it in one huge partition, the number of the files in it can be horrible. Not everybody use their computer just for video editing where files are huge instead of the number of them.

This problem mentioned in this thread is driving me crazy. How it is possible for a modern program not understand drive letters correctly? I have found older discussions about that, the bug was in older version as well.

Seems to me that adobes programmers are either blind for them errors, or they don't get these informative writings about these bugs.

PLEASE, FIX THIS BUG!!!!

Cheers,

Kari Pulkkinen

Finland

• 26. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Your arguments about partitioning harddrives are close to BS. These days, when 2GB drives are available, it would be insane to leave it in one huge partition, the number of the files in it can be horrible. Not everybody use their computer just for video editing where files are huge instead of the number of them.

Can you cite some studies to support your assertions? I have never seen any, and doubt that you can provide any.

Can you point out where my statements are incorrect?

As this is a forum for a video editing program, it should be assumed that the users will, in fact, be doing video editing. Any reference to other programs and their HDD usage are completely moot here. Take those comments to a forum on other programs, as they do not apply in a video editing forum.

With regard to video editing, it would be absolute insanity to partition to smaller logical disks. What would be gained? Absolutely zero, except a slowdown in doing reads/writes and a lot more mechanical work for the heads. If you wish to create a slowdown on your system, and cause more mechanical work, that is your choice. Now, I cannot imagine why one would want these problems, but maybe they enjoy replacing worn-out HDD's, and waiting for read/writes?

This problem mentioned in this thread is driving me crazy. How it is possible for a modern program not understand drive letters correctly? I have found older discussions about that, the bug was in older version as well.

Hey, you're the expert. Why don't you figure this one out for yourself?

Seems to me that adobes programmers are either blind for them errors, or they don't get these informative writings about these bugs.

This is something that you need to take up with Adobe and with the programmers. We are but users here, and have zero control over how Adobe writes its code. This ARTICLE will get you started.

PLEASE, FIX THIS BUG!!!!

As mentioned above - we are all users, and not Adobe programmers. I would suggest that when you do contact Adobe, you not imply that their programmers are fools, as you have alluded to in my case. I doubt that you will get much of a response.

As I am smart enough to NOT partition my HDD's, I do not see anything listed as a Bug. Only people, who create a problem for themselves will likely do so. It is rather like someone demanding that their HDD's be formatted to FAT-32, and then complaining that the file sizes are over ~ 4GB, and calling that a Bug. One is likely not to get much sympathy, at least not on this forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 27. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                              TheGaryP Level 1

Oops, little mistake in my last posst, ment to say 2TB instead of 2GB, but I guess nobody noticed that.

;-)

It's a bug.

If I create a new project on my E-drive, it does it right there. But if I want to add videoclip from E-drive to my new project, it lost the track for the path, and tries to find it from drive D?

That can't be right?

When I close the program and open recent the project from drive E, where I created it, it is there and can be openede correctly, but clips... it still have no way to find them from the same folder if it is on drive E.

By the way, are you saying that you have big HDD where you your OS is installed, and the same partition is used for everything else as well?

I have 1TB drive 0, 100GB is for Windows 7, rest of it is for anything else. Then there's two other 1TB drives, one is completely for my works, other one is for fun and temporary actions.

Now, I must say that I don't know you, or your history and knowhow level, at all. You probably have many good arguments, and you probably know your editing software way better than I do, but bug is bug is bug...

This one is definitely a bug in software until this statement is proven wrong and the function is justified.

Cheers,

Kari

• 28. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                TheGaryP Level 1

Little addition here:

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

HDD 0 is partitioned 100GB for C:, rest of it for E:. Because of the history with my documents (links in old coding), I have HDD1 for works as D: HDD 2 is one big F:.

Ok, I have also big partitions LOL, but why E: wants to turn to D: in Premiere Elements 8? Why such mixing with drive letters?

Cheers,

Kari

• 29. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you feel that you have uncovered a Bug, there is absolutely nothing that anyone in this forum can do to help you, other than to point out that article with the link above. You need to point this out to Adobe, and that article has tips on how best to do that. Here is that LINK again, in case it got lost in a rather long post.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                    TheGaryP Level 1

I think the bug information is already sent to them, I am looking for a solution here. Adobe, Pinnacle, you name it, they don't really seem to care.

Most of the time end users are more aware, and some kind of a trick is in many cases available before bugfix from the programmers.

I want to keep this discussion alive, you are trying to prevent is. Whos side are you on? Just curious...

K

• 31. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                      By the way, are you saying that you have big HDD where you your OS is installed, and the same partition is used for everything else as well?

In my case, I have a 500GB C:\ with OS and programs. I do not need that large a system drive. Speed is also more important here. I could probably easily get by with a 250GB, but as PrPro CS5 now writes some files to C:\, the extra, unused space will likely provide me with a good deal of buffer space, when I upgrade.

Then, I have 8 1TB SATA II HDD's for my Projects, my still & video media, my audio, my Scratch Disks and my Export files. My stock Assets are stored on multiple externals, or on my NAS, but I do not work to/from those, and just Copy the necessary Assets to my Project's folder structure.

There is one exception - when I need to migrate my Projects between computers, I will put everything on a 2TB FW-800 external - the Project, the Assets, the Scratch Disks, everything. Each of these has a specific drive letter assignment in the OS of each computer. That means that when I plug in Z:\ to the workstation it will show as Z:\. When plugged into the smaller workstation, it's always Z:\. When plugged into the laptop, same thing. It is always seen as Z:\. Same for drive W:\ and so on. While not the most efficient use of HDD's (everything in the Project on one), it does allow me to move the Project completely amongst several machines.

The ultimate setup would be something like this, and only counting physical (not logical) HDD's:

C:\ OS and programs, with possibly the Page File (I found that the best performance was with that placed on my D:\) Disk0

D:\ Projects and Scratch Disks Disk1

E:\ Hardware RAID for Video & stills disk 2

F:\ Hardware RAID for Audio Disk 3

G:\ Hardware RAID for Exports Disk 4

H:\ Commonly used Assets, Documents, and other files Disk 5

I:\ BD burner

J:\ DVD multi-drive burner

And, by "hardware RAID" I am talking about a dedicated hardware RAID controller, and not software, or MoBo chips). The RAID configuration will depend on whether one wants ultimate speed, or redundancy, or a combo of each, and the RAID controller card and the total number of HDD's in the RAID.

Obviously, this is for Video editing, as many other programs would likely not benefit from the RAID's, at least not enough to justify the expense.

Hunt

• 32. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                        TheGaryP Level 1

Heh, that was quite combination. I've been working with servers for 15 years, I really appreciate nice set of RAID. I only wish I could have such in my home, but as long as nobody pays for my work with videos, no reason to invest.

Sorry, one more offtopic.

On Pinnacle-forum, there's not a really good advice for combination of hard drives for most efficient video editing, is there any advice for Premiere users? Best (or reasonable) known combination?

I have just started to use PE8 instead of Pinnacle Studio 14, support for that (PS14) is totally low level.

My friend has been working with PE8 for, well, not a long time yet (1 year maybe), but he knows how to turn suspicious mind. I really feel this could work, after PE8 just agrees where I want to keep my data.

I had PE8 installed on my older machine month ago, different set of disks, C and D were on the same disk. Everything went as smoothly as the slow machine just did the work, no problems. Now, new machine, totally new install with everything... and now this... IT sucks sometimes.

Well, I try to find a way over this little annoyance. Thanks!

Cheers,

Kari

• 33. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I highly recommend Harm Millaard's ARTICLE on HDD setup for video editing.

For general hardware discussion, he does a multi-level set of systems in this ARTICLE.

For consideration on RAID for video editing, this ARTICLE has some great tips.

Besides being a builder of exotic editing machines, he is a power-user of PrPro and one of Adobe's best beta testers for PrPro. So, he not only builds them, but uses them in some heavy-duty editing.

Going back many, many years, I used Pinnacle Studio, and was never happy, until 9.4.3. That was a good, stable version. I moved to Studio 10, and immediately to AVID Liquid, not being happy with either of those. It was then that I went to PrPro, and have never looked back. I added PrE as a tool for certain consumer formats, but still use PrPro much more. From my old Pinnacle days, I only miss one feature - the special way that it handled SmartSound pieces. Even now, PrPro (and PrE) has one limitation with SmartSound. If you create the piece to a certain Duration, changing that Duration is not an easy task. One can do it, but it takes either the Time Stretch, or hand-work. In Pinnacle Studio, you just grab the Tail and adjust it as you want, and it re-composes the entire Clip to exactly what you need - neat! Have not seen Studio in years, so do not know what changes might have been made.

Going back to the Studio 7, 8 and 9 days, that forum was really pretty good. I spent a fair amount of time there. Doubt that many of the folk who I knew are still about.

One of the things that I did like there was that posters were encouraged to list their system specs. in their Profile. Only problem is that one did not have much room for details, and some people, such as me, have multiple computers and sometimes a post applies to just one particular computer. Still, for many issues, it allowed respondents to see what hardware and what OS the poster had - if they just filled in the details.

On the Muvipix fora, many post machine specs. in their sig. That site's forum is a great resource too. While many subscribers use Adobe software, all do not, so one sees other programs. Also, there is more general video shooting, audio and authoring discussions, so everything is not just working with one particular NLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 34. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                            TheGaryP Level 1

Thanks! Really!

I have to take a closer look to those articles, if there's possibly something fundamentaly wrong with my disk organization. I hope not, but you never know.

Cheers!!!!!

Kari

• 35. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I hope that with a few I/O tweaks, things will all fall into place, and you will soon be editing happily.

With the I/O, I try to keep things very simple. Some might argue that say adding a hardware RAID for media, Export, etc. is not "simple," but in my eyes, it is Also, over the years and over the systems, I have done about the same setup. Yes, the HDD's controllers improved, the speed and size of the disks increased, and I went from 2x physical HDD's many years ago to my present configuration. On the next system, I will probably add 2x RAID 50 for some files, but the general philosophy has remained the same - physically separate as many I/O functions, as is possible. I try to separate these by physical HDD's, and also by controller, if possible. The RAID 50's will be managed by dedicated hardware w/ on-board RAM, and will take more of the load off the SATA controllers, plus provide a much larger (faster) pipeline for certain aspects of video editing, like access to the media, and Export.

Maybe it's because I have a simple mind, but I do find that simple is better.

Good luck, and please let us know how things go,

Hunt

• 36. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                                wu1821 Level 1

The Adobe Premiere is buggy. Probably because they hire an all Indian crew. They get what they paid for.

The drive letter error has nothing to do with disk partition. I don't have any disk partition. I have my Seagate 2 TB drive on letter H:, but when I drag and drop the files to Adobe Premiere Elements 7, it shows them as drive I:. How they figure that only the Indians at Adobe would know.

The Adobe Premiere has been one disappointment after another. First they got a worthless error message when you install McAfee, then they mis-assign drive letters. But the worst part is there is Customer No-Support.

• 37. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, seems that you have no partitions, so let's move on.

Is you Seagate 2TB HDD (H:\) internal, or external?

If it is external, what is the connection type and also what is the OS's assigned driver letter?

In Disk Manager, what is the drive number of H:\?

What is the ID of this HDD?

What does Disk Manager say about that drive?

Is there also an I:\ drive on your system?

If there is an I:\, what is it's description, and also its drive number?

What does Disk Manager say about that drive?

What is the ID of this HDD?

If it is an external, what is the connection type and also what is the OS's assigned drive letter?

If your Assets are relocated to, say D:\, E:\, F:\, or G:\ (looking for an internal here, but not H:\, or I:\), when you start that Project in PrE, it will ask where the files are. Navigate to the correct folder on the HDD, where you Moved the files, and choose the first one that the program is asking for. If necessary, help it find any others, should they be in different folders. Do a Save_As, close it. Exit PrE. Re-launch PrE, and Open that Save_As Project. Are the files all lost again?

Now, I use a big handful of Maxtor & WD 1.5TB, or 2TB externals, and all of my Project will be on one of those, including the Assets. I migrate these between the workstation and the laptop, and each has a unique drive letter, set in the OS of each computer, so that Z:\ is always Z:\, regardless of what else might be plugged in. I have never encountered this behavior over a 3 year time span. What I am trying to figure out is why is this not working for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 38. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                                    wu1821 Level 1

I have 150 GB C:, 500 GB F:, 500 GB SCSI G:, 1 TB Seagate FreeAgent E:, 2 TB Seagate Freeagent G:. No I: or anything above G:.

When I drag a file from H: drive to Adobe Premiere Elements 7, it shows it on drive I:.

When I moved that file to drive E:, and drag it from drive E: to APE7, it shows it on drive I:.

When I moved that file to drive F:, and drag it to APE7, it shows it correctly.

The drive number for C: is 0, F: is 1, G: is 2, H: is 3, E: is 4.

• 39. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                                      I have 150 GB C:, 500 GB F:, 500 GB SCSI G:, 1 TB Seagate FreeAgent E:, 2 TB Seagate Freeagent G:. No I: or anything above G:.

Something must be wrong with this info. You say that you have no drives above G:\, yet we are talking about drive H:\. Is there a typo, as you state that your SCSI is G:\ and that your 2TB Seagate is G:\.

If I read correctly, your C:\ and F:\ are internals. Are they all SCSI too? Is the 500GB SCSI G:\ internal, or external, and what level of SCSI is it?

What SCSI controller are you using, Adaptec? Which model?

What is the connection of your two Seagate FreeAgent HDD's?

What is the ID number of each of the Seagates?

Have you given an assignment to those two externals in the OS, or have you just plugged them in the same order, and let the OS sort things out?*

Am I correct to assume that D:\ is your multi-drive?

Good luck,

Hunt

* This is the process for assigning a permanent drive letter to a HDD, external, or internal.

To assign, change, or remove a drive letter

Using the Windows interface

1. Open Computer Management (Local).
                                                                                      2. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
                                                                                      3. Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
                                                                                      4. Do one of the following:
                                                                                        • To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
                                                                                        • To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
                                                                                        • To remove a drive letter, click it, and then click Remove.

Important

• Be careful when making drive-letter assignments because many MS-DOS and Windows programs make references to a specific drive letter. For example, the path environment variable shows specific drive letters in conjunction with program names.

Notes

• To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
                                                                                      • You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
                                                                                      • A computer can use up to 26 drive letters. Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives, but you can assign these letters to removable drives if the computer does not have a floppy disk drive. Hard disk drives in the computer receive letters C through Z, while mapped network drives are assigned drive letters in reverse order (Z through B).
                                                                                      • You cannot change the drive letter of the system volume or boot volume.
                                                                                      • An error message may appear when you attempt to assign a letter to a volume, CD-ROM drive, or other removable media device, possibly because it is in use by a program in the system. If this happens, close the program accessing the volume or drive, and then click the Change Drive Letter and Paths command again.
                                                                                      • Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the static assignment of drive letters on volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This means that you permanently assign a drive letter to a specific partition, volume, or CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk to an existing computer system, it will not affect statically assigned drive letters.
                                                                                      • You can also mount a local drive at an empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive path instead of a drive letter. For more information, click Related Topics.

1 2 Previous Next