1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 1:24 PM by TheGaryP Go to original post
      • 40. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
        wu1821

I think APE7 is saving a link and doesn't update that link when the same file is dragged and dropped again.

Example: When I drag one file ABC.m2t from drive I: to APE7, it saved that link.

When I removed iPod from my computer, and somehow the hard drive that once was I: changed to H:, naturally APE7 can't find it.

When I drag ABC.m2t to APE7 from drive H:, APE7 probably find out it's the same file as it has on its DB and didn't bother to update the link even though it can no longer finding the drive I:. That would explain why when the file was moved from drive H: to drive E: and then dragged to APE7, APE7 still pointed to drive I:

When I change the drive letter on Disk Manager from drive H: to I:, it is able to work now because it accommodate Adobe's software flaws. We shouldn't have to accommodate some incompetent programmers. This is the last copy of Adobe program I purchased. I bought their Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, and Premiere Elements. Now they are going down the hill in quality. It's bad enough I spend 5 hours editing, now I have to spend 5 hours figuring out what and why they did wrong.

• 41. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, if you cannot provide the data asked for and are no longer an Adobe client, then I think that this thread can be closed.

Hunt

• 42. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
            wu1821 Level 1

Pardon my alphabets. I have no drive above H.

I bought this Dell Optiplex 320 pre-configured with 2 extra sata drives besides C:. They are all internal: C, F, and G.

D is CD-ROM. I don't know why one of them say SCSI0_VOL1 (G:) while another say DISK3_VOL1 (F:). Maybe it's just a sata, but a bogus name SCSI. I don't think it has a SCSI controller.

I don't know the drive ID you are asking about. They are both USB drives external Seagate.

I didn't assign their drive numbers. I let the computer do it. Maybe I will assign their drive letters in the future. I don't think I will use up the 26 letters.

• 43. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
              wu1821 Level 1

I think it's kind of a waste of effort if you just close the thread without generating something useful to the developers.

If I were a developer at Adobe, I would like to know the link info on Adobe Premiere's database is not getting updated when a similar file is dragged from a different drive. Fixing that defect will save many users' headache like mine. I found this thread, so someone else had this headache before mine.

I know your job description is probably to answer customers; but if you can pass this defect up the chain, it may get fixed.

Also, the "Sorry, blah, blah, blah" error message I got that I told you was quite worthless. The cause was a conflict with McAfee. If you would add that to the check list, people like me searching for cure to the flaws might benefit.

• 44. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For the ID numbers, you will look in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Disk Drives, and for each, will look at Properties>Details, and will see a Disk ID.

In case something has happened to your Preferences file, I would go to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0 and find "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs." Rename that to "Adobe Premiere Elements Old." Reboot PrE with your externals plugged in and their drive letters assigned in the OS, per the instructions above. Let PrE create a new Pref file. Note, any changes that you have made in Edit>Preferences will need to be redone, as the defaults will be restored.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 45. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                  wu1821 Level 1

FreeAgent Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_SEAGATE&PROD_FREEAGENT&REV_0132\2GEY1ET5____&0

FreeAgent Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_SEAGATE&PROD_FREEAGENT&REV_102D\2GEVGNQX&0

There is a SCSI drive. It's Maxtor 7 H500F0 with Silicon Image SATAlink controller.

• 46. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good. The two Seagates do have different ID's. Just wanted to make sure of that.

Good luck, and let us know if the trashing of the Prefs, helps.

Hunt

• 47. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                      TheGaryP

Bill Hunt wrote:

"In case something has happened to your Preferences file, I would go to  C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere  Elements\8.0 and find "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs." Rename that to  "Adobe Premiere Elements Old."

WOW, where did that came from? Finally an advice that actually seems to work! Now I can get also files from drive E: without PE to saying that they are on drive D:

Did you know that before or did you just figured it out... lucky or...?

That is a bug, but know we have a way around it.

But, what settings are resetted after this? I hope this is fixed on the next version of Premiere Elements.

Cheers,

Kari

• 48. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                        nealeh Level 5

wu1821 wrote:

I know your job description is probably to answer customers; but if you can pass this defect up the chain, it may get fixed.

You are totally misunderstanding these forums. It is a user-to-user forum - just ordinary folks trying to help each other out. Adobe do not monitor these forums (although every now and then one might post, but this is rare). To contact Adobe you should use the Contact button at the top of these pages or complete the Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 49. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The "trashing" of the Prefs is a common "fix" for Photoshop, when things just are not working correctly. In general terms, it is much less often a fix for the video editing programs, PrE, and PrPro, but Pref corruption CAN happen (just not nearly as often as with PS). Because of the historical fixes, it's down the list quite a bit. That is why most of us use a bit of a linear process, where we start with the "usual suspects," and work down the list. Were this Photoshop, I would have recommended it much earlier in the process. With PrE, or PrPro, that is not a common problem, but can exist. I wanted to rule out those common causes first.

Corrupted Prefs can come from several fronts:

1.) Improper shutdown of the program

2.) Some other program got in the way, at the wrong time*

3.) Read/write issues due to HDD, or controller, issues

* In two decades of using PS, I have only had to trash my Prefs once, and that was recently, when Java Updater launched, while I was doing a Save for a large image file. It corrupted the Save, plus the Prefs. It had been so long since I had even thought about trashing my Prefs, that I had to go lookup the keystroke (Shift+Ctrl+Alt, while the program launches) to launch with new, clean and default Prefs. Unfortunately, that keystroke at launch, to clean out the Prefs file differs by each Adobe program, so one needs to remember a dozen, or so different ones. That was why I mentioned doing it at the folder/file level - I could not find, nor could I remember, what it is in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 50. Re: PE 8 looks on wrong drive letter for files
                            TheGaryP Level 1

Well, PE8 has crashed more than once since I started to use it, I don't know why it is unstable...

Another thing, very annoying and unnessesary. I tried to guess word for search functions, but I couldn't find the right combination.

When I open my Canon 7D's movs with PE8, the program makes some changes to that file, that is not acceptable. It makes the archive attribute to change its condition if I have backed up with unset archive bit. It also changes the date of modification, which causes my search by date function not to find needed files. That came to me when I tried to find all movs taken last june. The correct information is still in EXIF info, but that is not used by the search.

The way around that was to change all files to read only mode. Why is PE8 is trying to make some unnnessary changes if it won't even say they are protected, and no changes are done? It would do something if it could. SOB!!!

My original files should stay intact unless I purposely touch them by myself.

Any thoughts about that? Thanks!

Kari

1 2 Previous Next