5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2010 12:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Media Converter problems...

NotEnoughHours Level 1

Problem #1 - seems when I'm trying to convert larger files, I instantly get the message in the timeline "Conforming file..." - this NEVER goes away.  However, 9 times out of 10, if I restart my machine and try again it will instantly start encoding without any issues - so obviously there was no need for any conforming in the first place.  What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

Problem #2 - my file are 1920x1080.  If I convert them to f4v's without any resizing, and then play in a flash player at 640x360, the video is stretched and not as "high" as it should be, despite the 640x360 being a perfect aspect ratio to the 1920x1080.  If I do convert with resizing, then it looks fine, but I'd like to have a better quality when users switch to full screen if possible...

What might I be doing wrong?  Thanks in advance...

• 1. Re: Adobe Media Converter problems...
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Conforming is a two-step process. The first is the conversion to 32-bit floating point to allow for editing. The second is the generation of the PEK files for Waveform Display. The time to Conform will depend on the source footage and on the speed of the system.

If you are experiencing issues with the Conforming phase, I'd look first to the source files. Please give us all details on these.

Second, I'd look to the system, as the CFA files can be quite large, and one needs plenty of defragmented free space to allow for these.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adobe Media Converter problems...
            nealeh Level 5

Media Converter is a component of the CS4 suite. You might get a better response posting this question in the PrPro forums.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Adobe Media Converter problems...
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You know, I wondered about this, and thought that maybe the reference was to Adobe Media Encoder (AME) in PrPro versions.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adobe Media Converter problems...
                NotEnoughHours Level 1

OK - will try there.  Though again, I don't believe this is problem with the videos NEEDING to be conformed.  I think the software is wanting to conform them erroneously, and even when it tries - I can literally leave it overnight, and it will still not even start.  Reboot the machine (which is a dedicated machine with only PE installed, a 3.3gh processor with 24GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive) and it starts encoding immediately.  Surely it's got to be a product defect :-(

• 5. Re: Adobe Media Converter problems...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If the Audio is not in 32-bit, floating point form, with existing PEK files, then it DOES need to be conformed. I do not know of any camera that shoots 32-bit, floating point Audio, but might have missed one.

In your Project's Scratch Disk folders do you have the CFA and PEK files already? If not, they need to be generated. If so, no Conforming should go on.

Because of the size of the CFA's, I mentioned the free space on HDD's, as many have experienced Conforming issues, when they just did not have enough space. Cannot say that this is your issue, but is something to check.

Also, the time to Conform the Audio will depend greatly on the Audio specs. and CODEC used, plus the Duration of the Clips, plus the speed of the computer.

As a for instances, if one Imports a muxed MPEG w/ 12-bit 32KHz Audio (MPEG CODEC), it will take MUCH longer to Conform, than would a DV-AVI Type II with PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio.

With the former, one can expect to go to Starbucks, get a latte and then come back to find it completing, and with the latter, it will happen almost too quickly to even see the blue progress bar. Still, the Durations and the system will weigh heavily on those general timings.

Good luck,

Hunt