5 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2010 10:02 AM by Randy Edmunds

Code navigator in DW CS5?

Stephen Cox Level 1

First, thank you Adobe. You've finally added enough to the code editor that I'm gladly paying the upgrade fee. The only thing missing, and maybe I just haven't across it', is a code navigator?

I'd like to have something to jump around the doc with. Other apps use div tags; some use id tabs - whatever. Am I missing something obvious?

• 1. Re: Code navigator in DW CS5?
          Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

I'd like to have something to jump around the doc with. Other apps use div tags; some use id tabs - whatever. Am I missing something obvious?

I usually keep docs open in Split Design/Code View. I select what I want to edit in the Design pane, then the same element is selected in Code pane, and it's scrolled into view. So, the Design pane is the Code navigator.

HTH,

Randy

• 2. Re: Code navigator in DW CS5?
            Stephen Cox Level 1

Not exactly what I was looking for. But I do this as well.

Maybe someone (if i have the time i try to write it) will write an extension. I still love this updates.. even without a navigator.

• 3. Re: Code navigator in DW CS5?

What *exactly* are you having trouble navigating to?

JS Functions? Use the right-click > Functions menu.

CSS rules? Use the CSS Panel All Mode to get a complete list of the rules.

Go to line number? Go to the Adobe Dreamweaver Exchange (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=productHome&exc=3) and search on "line number".

HTH,

Randy

• 4. Re: Code navigator in DW CS5?
                Stephen Cox Level 1

Have you ever used an IDE? Or BBedit or Coda? A code navigator lists all the div tags (for instance - some allow you to assign what to display) in a panel or pulldown. Allowing you to jump around the doc. BBedit takes it further by listing other tags too ( like <h1>'s). Coda displays a panel with all the <div id="myname"> listed. XCode, Visual Studio, Flex, (any eclipse based IDE) - all have code navigators.  In fact with XCode, VS and Flex it's part of the file browser.

A line number thing is useless cause it assumes I know the line number.

Look, I'm not ragging on DW CS5, I was just wondering if it had one. I guess not. Ok.. I dig the other features so much, I can live without a code navigator.

• 5. Re: Code navigator in DW CS5?

It's all good . I'm just trying to clarify the terminology. DW has a feature called "Code Navigator", but it's more of a "CSS Rule Navigator".

It sounds like what you want to see is what I would call an "outline". DW used to have an Document Outline panel, but it was removed several releases ago.

Regards,

Randy