4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 9:52 PM by Jeremy AB

Create Swatch Library

AcmeGV Level 1

Is there a program available that allows me to create a swatch library within illustrator based on my printing profile?

I am looking to build a library of the solid coated pantone library to my printing profile and load it into illustrator.

• 1. Re: Create Swatch Library
          [scott] Level 6

Simply add what you want included in the library to the Swatch Panel in a new document. They choose Save Library fro the Swatch Panel flyout menu.

• 2. Re: Create Swatch Library
            AcmeGV Level 1

How do I create the library based on a ICC profile? Is there software that will convert an entire pantone library?

• 3. Re: Create Swatch Library
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I understand what you want to do but it actually does not make sense. the colors of pantone have to be constant. That means they are device independent if you profile your document to match your printer that would be a better way of going about this after all if the document had a different profile say then the colors in the swatches then what would be the purpose of setting you document to a profile?

And many of the colors in most of the Pantone Libraries are spot colors which cannot be profiled any way since the color comes from actually mixing ink rathe than from printing intent.

You need to read about printing and profiling in order to understand that even if this could be done  you would not want to do so.

• 4. Re: Create Swatch Library
                Jeremy AB Level 1

AcmeGV wrote:

I am looking to build a library of the solid coated pantone library to my printing profile and load it into illustrator.

Illustrator already has the pantone libraries under Window>Swatch Libraries>Color Books