23 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 7:03 AM by alicedavey123

Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...

K750i Freak Level 1

I've used many prior versions of Ai including CS4 to create artwork, rasterize into 300ppi CMYK and cut and paste it into Office 2007/2010 with no problems what so ever..

Now Ai CS5 has come out..and instead of it improving it's features...it makes 'em worse!

Everytime I cut/copy something from Ai and paste into another program, on first attempt of pressing paste nothing happens. Press it a second time and Ai CS5 crashes!

Fantastic ain't it?!

So anyone know why this is happening!?

• 1. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Have you enabled the PDF compatible options? THe PDF conmtent is what gets pasted in "foreign apps" as naturally, they wouldn't understand AI's native data....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Isn't 2010 a public beta?

• 3. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
              Skullmaker Level 3

When Apple releases a new OS it comes with all types of brand of printers drivers (old and new), But when Adobe releases a new versions comes with old and new bugs. The problem is that Adobe have not release an update or a patch for almost 4 years. Adobe does not care to fix anything.

So about this new bug you may want to look for a "work around" or wait 18 months to buy CS6 hopping Adobe care enough to fix this bug.

But I will always be happy to be proven wrong and Adobe actually releases a patch or update to fix its faulty software.

Good luck!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                K750i Freak Level 1

By PDF compatible options do you mean by in the menu Edit>Preferences>File Handling And Clipboard...Copy as PDF.

Yes!

• 5. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                  K750i Freak Level 1

Yes...I've been testing it since the closed beta too with Ai and it never had problems...I even tried pasting from Ai CS5 into Office 2007 thinking Office 2010 may be to blame, but no it isn't.

• 6. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It works her fine on a mac and Office 2008. and i would say there is another problem here and not the application. Did you check any plug ins d any type of trouble shooting, check for updates etc?

I have an idea open the AI file in Acrobat copy and paste from there what is the results?

BTW I understand Office 2007 does not support PDF.

have you ever been able to do this? Does 2010 support pdf?

• 7. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                      K750i Freak Level 1

Well I don't have Acrobat atleast not anymore...and yes I've been doing so for a long time on a regular basis in CS4 w/Office 2007 and 2010 without any problems whatsoever!

I am using Windows btw...

I don't have any plug ins installed in Ai; Office doesn't have any either..

• 8. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                        K750i Freak Level 1

Anyone? Adobe? This I think is a pretty serious problem!

• 9. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                          davidmacy Adobe Employee

I am trying to understand the problem. You say that when you try to paste into a different app, Illustrator crashes?

What happens if you try to paste the Illustrator content back into Illustrator?

• 10. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                            K750i Freak Level 1

It's fine...no crashes.

However I did it manage on some ocassions to get it to paste into Word 2007 without crashing but not every time...I'm beginning to think it may have something to do with the OS but I dunoo...I tried installing Ai CS5 on another computer with Office 2007 and 2010 TP [the original closed beta which I did not bother updating to the current beta], and there's no crashing when pasting from Ai CS5 or from Ai CS4...

• 11. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Not an issue with the beta by any chance?

Funny you were so quick to mark skullmakers as helpful when it is not at all the answer or helpful.

I guess if Microsoft fouled u it is because Adobe forced them to do it.

Weird!

• 13. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                K750i Freak Level 1

Just to clarify I choose skullmaker's comment as helpful, cause it was kind of true IMO; I was however unaware that only 1-2 comments can be marked as helpful otherwise I would have marked others too [This is my first thread in the Adobe forums].

And for the record, I don't really have much against Adobe except for some little problems which every come has.

They make great software, but there are some inherent problems as in every company's software..just like MS makes some great software [Office] but also makes some really rubbish software like Vista...luckily W7 seems to solve it; but sadly through a new edition which ppl must pay for.

Getting back to the problem at hand:

When you say not a problem with the beta; it seems you may have misunderstood me; let me clarify:

Ai CS5 installed on PC1 w/Vista and Office 2007 and Office 2010 Beta: Ai CS5 crashes when pasting into Office 2010 always; sometimes in 2007

Ai CS5 installed on PC2 w/Vista and Office 2007 and Office 2010 Technical Preview [Closed Beta]: Ai does NOT crash when pasting into Office 2010 nor 2007

The program of Office I'm trying to paste into is OneNote and Word in both cases.

It seems maybe the problem may lie in the OS, but how and why?

All other programs work fine with copy/paste..and I generally don't have much problems with this PC also to be honest..

It's quite weird that there should be a problem..what could have changed from Ai CS5 to CS4 in copy/paste..

• 14. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                  Skullmaker Level 3

Wade,

Leave me alone and I will leave alone. Show me respect, and I will do the same. I said it to you before, this is Adobe Forum, no Hans Forum. Stop talking about me, no one here cares about me. We are here to talk about Adobe.

I get it, you hate that I got a star (big deal), you hate my opinions, you hate that stated the Facts about Adobe's lack of business ethics, but even when I do not like when you keep giving excuses on behalf Adobe, I do think you have the right and the freedom to say it.

Very simple: Leave me alone and I will leave alone.

• 15. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Lot's of things have change in CS 5 from CS 4  and you are working with software that has not been issued yet and there fore it might be expected that this clash has arisen.

Let me see if I can put logic to it for you.

AI CS 5 is being tested and the same time so is Office for example and Window & comes out during the testing.

So Office might have introduced some form of coding that causes this and Adobe is not informed of this change because Microsoft does not know it is a conflict.

Does this make sense to you.

To Hans what you mean is that you actually should be free toHarass every post I make but I should but up with it, I don't think so and this is a user to user forum were we exchange ideas not just have one persons forced on us at every turn.

It is not a dialog with Adobe nothing wrong with complaining and expressing dissatisfaction I often do myself but this is about ehlping other users and learning from that experience.

The answer to you is no I will not let you harass me.

• 16. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                      davidmacy Adobe Employee

K750i Freak  - I have sometimes seen utilities that attempt to add intelligence or extra functionality to the clipboard but conflict with some applications. Since the same scenario is working on one computer and not on the other, I think you should investigate to see if you have any clipboard utilities loaded.

• 17. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                        ecosavvydesign Level 1

i am having the same problem, CS5 crashes when I copy and try to paste into another application,

and yes, my PDF preferences are enabled.

it wouldn't be such a big deal, if the gosh darn program would SAVE any file that I'm working on!

This renders the program useless to me!

It's a trial version, and Adobe won't provide support to trial version...

but at this rate, I don't see why I should upgrade to it, if its going to be so BUGGY!

Please, someone help!

• 18. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                          Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should provide us with the details:

excatly what content are you trying to copy from Illustrator into exactly which version of which program?

Which system are you on?

Any error messages?

Which one crashes?

• 19. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                            K750i Freak Level 1

Since other people have this problem..it must mean it's a problem with Ai CS5..probably.

More info about your specific problem would help..maybe we can spot a common problem maker between yours and my scenario.

**I have no clipboard utilities of any sort enabled.

• 20. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                              ASHUTOSH15

the crash scenario that you mentioned certainly does not crash for me. Or is there something special about the rasterize setting or the content you rasterized?

you should certainly contact Adobe : https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 21. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                                davidhbrown Level 1

I'm having this issue trying to paste a very, very simple graphic from Illustrator CS5 to Word 2007 (guess I should have just used Visio or even Word itself, but I wanted to play with my new CS5 toys ). All release versions of software, 64-bit Windows 7 Pro (both Word and AI are 32-bit applications).

The first time I copy from AI, I can paste to Word. The second time (the complete figure has 5 elements I wanted to position individually), Illustrator crashes when I select Paste from within Word. (I guess the clipboard is more a promise that data can be obtained than actual data?)

Strangely, the third time I restarted Illustrator (I did not restart Word), it let me complete the sequence of copy/pastes I needed.

Edit: I noticed that that preferences setting (at least now in the release version) reads "Clipboard on Quit" suggesting that it is not relevant when AI is still running.

• 22. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                                  K750i Freak Level 1

Hmm..I tried again...it crashed for me on the first try...though I do remember experiencing a similar scenario like yours a while back...

• 23. Re: Ai CS5 crashes when performing cut/paste...
                                                    alicedavey123

I had a similar problem and this is how I fixed it.

I had CS5 installed and Office 2010 and I was always able to copy and paste from Illustrator into Office applications fine. Then I got a new machine and only installed some elements of the suite.  The cut + paste now crashed Illustrator and gave an error in the Office application.

I re-installed all the components and the problem went away.

Could this help anyone else, perhaps? I hope so.