2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2010 7:48 AM by Jimmy Alenius

My Swatch colors disappears - how to always have them accessible?

Jimmy Alenius Level 1

Hi! This is something basic I don't understand (I'm from the FreeHand world). Sometimes when doing artwork, when picking a color I just have None and Registration. The basic set of colors is gone and I can't figure out why. Is there a way to always be able to access them in every document?

Another Q: In FreeHand I used to build a custom set of colors just for that document. From that central set I could drag and drop to my artwork and if I was to change all the pink rabbits that use my special made pink I just changed it in my color palett and all the rabbits was changed too. Is this possible in Illustrator?.

I'm using Illustrator CS4.

Regards / Jimmy

• 1. Re: My Swatch colors disappears - how to always have them accessible?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Is there a way to always be able to access them in every document?

Swatches are tied to the document template. Simply edit/ modify/ create your own new document templates and save them to the right location so they are readily available.

Another Q: In FreeHand I used to build a custom set of colors just for that document. From that central set I could drag and drop to my artwork and if I was to change all the pink rabbits that use my special made pink I just changed it in my color palett and all the rabbits was changed too. Is this possible in Illustrator?.

Alt+drag the new swatch on the old swatch or use the Recolor Artwork tool in the Edit menu.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: My Swatch colors disappears - how to always have them accessible?
            Jimmy Alenius Level 1

Thanks Mylenium! What's making me confused is all places where I can set the color of an object. Some places I can do as you say - alt+drag to change color to "linked" objects, but other (like the Swatches in the toolbar) I can't. What is the "main-organize-color-window" in AI? I would have hoped that it would be the Swatches in the toolbar, for it's closest to what I'm used to

Regards / Jimmy

Btw... is it possible to see a list of what object is linked to what color?