2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2006 4:35 PM by Mungomba

.htaccess and .htpasswd

Mungomba
      I wanted to password protect a folder using .htpaccess. However, after I uploaded both, the .htaccess and .htpasswd files and then try to login using the username and password I established in .htpasswd, the system does not let me in. I tried several times, including just cutting and pasting the username and passoword and still the server tells me that "The server www.soandso.com at access.html requires a username and password.
      Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)."

What am I doing wrong? Why isn't the system recognizing/accepting my username (Chicago) and password (Windy1998)?

Below is the code I put in in my .htaccess:

ErrorDocument 401 /index.html
      AuthUserFile /authenticate/.htpasswd
      AuthName "access.html"
      AuthType Basic
      require valid-user

and below is the code (username & password) I put in my .htpasswd:

Chicago:Windy1998

Thanks, in advance!
        • 1. Re: .htaccess and .htpasswd
          Level 7
          Mungomba posted something on 10/22/06 7:12 PM so i blathered about to and
          fro:

> I wanted to password protect a folder using .htpaccess. However, after I
          > uploaded both, the .htaccess and .htpasswd files and then try to login using
          > the username and password I established in .htpasswd, the system does not let
          > me in. I tried several times, including just cutting and pasting the username
          > and passoword and still the server tells me that "The server www.soandso.com
          > at
          > access.html requires a username and password.
          > Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in
          > an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)."
          >
          > What am I doing wrong? Why isn't the system recognizing/accepting my username
          > (Chicago) and password (Windy1998)?
          >
          > Below is the code I put in in my .htaccess:
          >
          > ErrorDocument 401 /index.html
          > AuthUserFile /authenticate/.htpasswd

is that the correct path?

> AuthName "access.html"
          > AuthType Basic
          > require valid-user

and below is the code (username & password) I put in my .htpasswd:

Chicago:Windy1998

above is where the problem is- the password would not be in plain text like
          that.

Try this in the password file:

Chicago:jp5LeFlYq2JqA

suggestion-
          Can you use PHP on this site?

if yes- use this little free admin panel to do this.

http://www.krizleebear.de/phpaccess/dynamisch/index.php

Also- if your hosting has a control panel, look in there.

• 2. Re: .htaccess and .htpasswd
            Mungomba Level 1
            Alan, thank you very much for replying to my posting. I will try to follow your instructions and see if I can make my code functional.