2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2010 7:46 AM by thuy.copeland

cell padding and alignment mega-stress

groggy72

I am supposed to put a basic site together from a template and things are not going well. I've spent hours trying to sort it and now I hope some helpful soul will help take the pain in my shoulders away.

here's the problem

http://www.moodydesign.net/site/travel.html

firstly, I can't get any cell padding on the right side of my tables, the text is hitting the side with no inset/padding

secondly, I cant get the "stroke" on the tables to fully run down the length of the page. (see far right table)

I'm no a coder and have limited css knowledge, any help would be really really appreciated.

• 1. Re: cell padding and alignment mega-stress
          osgood_ Level 8

What a mess, no wonder youre struggling.

For the padding on the right try adding the below to your css style sheet.

div {
          margin-right: 8px;
          }

For the right border click inside the  <td> cell where the border is missing then go to code view. Look for the <td> cell which has a height="1" set on it.

Delete the height and add the below:

style="border-left:1px solid #DFDFDF; border-right:1px solid #DFDFDF;

So it looks like:

<td style="border-left:1px solid #DFDFDF; border-right:1px solid #DFDFDF; align="left" valign="top">

It may help you but the code is like a train wreck. Are you learning at school or college or something? If so your tutor, on this showing, looks about as good as a bucket with several large holes.

• 2. Re: cell padding and alignment mega-stress
            thuy.copeland Level 2

Hi Dan,

I have to agree with Osgood_. If you are a graphic designer cum web design, I want to strongly encourage you to learn CSS for your layout and styling rules. This course is well worth the price: http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=52341#c61626

Good luck with your new site.