9 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 3:44 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE 7 - Export movie - Why So Huge?

Admit One Level 1

Subject says it all.  I took a 66 MB .mov file, loaded it into PE7, chose "Export", took the only available output option (.avi) and ended up with a 900 MB file.  Sure, it played fine all, but 900 MB - in increase of 1500%?

And it does not matter whether it starts out as .mov, .mpeg, .avi, whatever.  The output file size is just insanely huge for no reason I can see.

Ed

• 1. Re: PE 7 - Export movie - Why So Huge?
          nealeh Level 5

Uncompressed DV-AVI uses 10 - 13 GB per hour. This is quite normal. Your .mov file was probably highly compressed (where did it come from ?). If you need a compressed output look at the Personal Computer options in the Share tab.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PE 7 - Export movie - Why So Huge?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Or it could be that you chose DV-AVI.

Every file format compresses its files differently and to a different degree. As Neale says, depending on whether you're saving your files as an MPEG, H.264, Divx, DV-AVI, MJPEG-AVI or uncompressed AVI, one minute a video could be as small as a meg or as large as 1 gig.

The trade-offs become apparent when you try to edit these formats.

DV-AVIs edit very easily. H.264/MP4s can be a bear for most computers to handle. Uncompressed AVIs are often too large and bulky to work with. And Divx files, which are very small, are nearly impossible to edit in their native form.

• 3. Re: PE 7 - Export movie - Why So Huge?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Welcome to the forum.

As has been said, the resultant file size will be dependent on the CODEC chosen for Export/Share.

Now, what is your intended delivery scheme? That will dictate the format/CODEC that you choose with Share/Export. If you need to keep the file size similar, or even reduce it, there will probably be choices that you can make. Knowing exactly how you plan on delivering the file will direct us, to direct you.

Good luck, and please let us know how you need to deliver the resultant file.

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE 7 - Export movie - Why So Huge?
                Admit One Level 1

Thanks for the interest, folks.

It's just a four-minute movie clip of some birthday party stuff that I made with a low-end digital camera (Casio Exelim S-310, I think).

I just want to use PE7 to trim some junk off the ends, do some fades, and then put it up on YouTube so the families can admire and go all googly-woogly over how cute their little urchins are.  I've made lots and lots of DVD's with PE7 and it is a horse of program.  It does way, way more in that respect than I will ever use.

But I guess I don't understand why the immense jump in file size from the original.  It's not like it's anything super hi-res to begin with.

I've also been playing with some of the freeware video apps like "Any Video Converter" and "Format Factory" and they don't cause the file to bloat, or else do so very little.  Or maybe I am misinterpreting things, as I don't know much about video.  But I'd really like to use PE7 for the easy editing capabilities.

Feel free to get as technical as you want.  I've been a programmer for about 20 years, so I know all about that end of things, but, like I said, video is a big hole in my knowledge.  I'll try to learn.

Ed

• 5. Re: PE 7 - Export movie - Why So Huge?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

The file size increase is due to the CODEC chosen in Export/Share. I think that it was Neale, who mentioned that you have probably used the DV-AVI, or the AVI Uncompressed.

Different CODEC's, usually accessed from the "Compression" setting in the Export/Share dialog screens, will yield different levels of compression. I do not do any work for YouTube, so am not the expert on what they are asking for (seems to change monthly), but others suggest WMV (many choices there), and H.264 for HD material. IIRC, PrE 7 has several YouTube Presets, and any of those should compress the file sizes to fit. Your Duration is well within the 10 min. Duration, so all you have to do is choose the proper settings. Here is one FAQ Entry on YouTube Export.

Here is another FAQ Entry.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE 7 - Export movie - Why So Huge?

A four-minute DV-AVI is about 1 gigabyte in size -- so your 900 meg file is right on the money!

If you'd rather edit the MOV in its native format and resolution, you may want to look into an Apple product, since they build their apps around MOVs.

Aside from Mac based software, like iMovie and Final Cut, there is Quicktime Pro, a $29 video processor that will also do some basic editing -- including exactly what you're looking to do. Particularly if file size and unnecessary file transcoding is an issue for you and you plan to work with a lot of Quicktime files, it's well worth the investment.

• 7. Re: PE 7 - Export movie - Why So Huge?
                      Admit One Level 1

Thanks for all the answers.  I ended up just going with Flash Video as the format.  It got it down to about 25 meg and the quality is fine for my purposes.  Sorry, I guess the IPad crowd will just miss out.

One last question, if I may indulge: I record lots of TV programs using BeyondTV.  The capture format for the shows is .tp, which I think is basically mpeg4, and a recorded hour of HD video comes out to about 6 GB.  BeyondTV comes with a "Showsqueeze" facility to convert to other formats.  I often use it to convert the originals to DivX video  (avi) files using "Best"quality which is 4218 KB/sec.  The resulting file is about 1.8 GB in size, and is perfectly crisp and clear, with no problems with audio/video synch.  It's really better quality than if I had used PE7 to create a DVD-video from the recording.

So, by the criteria mentioned previously, the DivX created by PE7 for that 1-hour video would be on the order of 15 GB in size.  So what am I getting in those extra 13+ GB that I am not getting in the 1.8 GB file?  Just curious ...

Anyway, thanks again, folks.

Ed

• 8. Re: PE 7 - Export movie - Why So Huge?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

I know nothing about your TV recording program, and have never heard of the .TP format.

DivX is a very heavily compressed format/CODEC. What you loose is quality, but still for delivery-only, DivX is a good deliver-only format/CODEC. Still, it is highly compressed and GOP, while DV-AVI is all I-frame and very lightly compressed.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE 7 - Export movie - Why So Huge?

As Hunt says, those compressed formats are great "delivery" formats -- but they don't edit well, and will likely not work at all in Premiere Elements.

If you plan to edit video, there really is no way to get around the need for gigs and gigs of hard drive space. Even if you can get a highly compressed file to load into Premiere Elements, the program  uses a DV-AVI workflow, which means that whatever you put it will need to be converted by the program into a DV-AVI before the program can do anything with it. And that's true even if you put a DVD video in and get a DVD video out -- In between in becomes a DV-AVI (which is why we recommend the DV-AVI as the ideal format for PC-based video editing).

DV-AVIs are about 1 gigabyte in size for about 4 minutes of video.