16 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 1:57 PM by Mike D. J.

Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash

Mike D. J.

Hello everyone, my first post here though I've been ghosting these forums for a while now.

So here's the deal: I've been using Premiere Pro CS4 for over a year now, without issue. I am editing a HUGE project and am very close to the end. And now, all of a sudden, PP decides it wants to crash my project files.

I double-click my Project file, and it opens the splash screen. Then it comes to the loading bar (after the interface opens). The project file itself is 40mb, I mean just huge. I am working with probably 100-200gb of footage. So, the loading bar goes across, and always comes to the same place, about 95%, and then the program freezes. If I click away it grays out and will not refresh. I've let it "load" for the better part of an hour to no effect.

Here's the kicker: I can open the program normally to get to the welcome screen, and I can open other project files. It seems to be related only to this project and its footage.

Now yes, I do have more than one saved version of the file, and I have tried opening them, no luck. So, next I went to the autosaves. Thank God one actually worked, why, I have no idea. The very latest autosave would not load, only the second newest. There was a 10 day gap between the two, as I have been working in 3DS Max on some VFX.

So I use the second oldest autosave and immediately save a new version of the project. So far so good; I hadn't lost any major data/changes so I thought I was in the clear. I closed the autosave, opened the new version, and it all worked great. I rendered some previews, did some work, closed out, turned off the computer. Now it won't load either project, new or old. I suspect that the autosaves will work if I try them, but I want to know how to fix this problem for good.

My system is as follows:

2007-era iMac running bootcamp - Windows XP SP3

Intel DuoCore 2.4ghz CPU

3gb 667mhz RAM

150gb HDD (42gb available)

1.5tb External HDD

Running as system administrator. Thus far I have updated/uninstalled QuickTime to no effect, refreshed my plugins, and defragmented my hard drive. Oh, and all my footage files are running off the external drive through a firewire cable.

Secondary issue: I have set the cache files to save to the external drive, but I recently got an error from my computer complaining of low HD space. I did some snooping and discovered that I have 60gb of preview/cache files which saved not to the external drive, but to my local drive. I'm unsure of how to move them without screwing up my project, but at this point that's not even the major issue. I freed up some space before trying to do all this crap with the crashing.

If I've forgotten any information please let me know, any and all help would be much appreciated!

(Sorry for the long post)

-Mike

• 1. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Welcome to the forum, bu sorry to hear about the Project.

Now, please tell us how you have your HDD's (the internal and the external) allocated. What is located where?

What is the connection to the 1.5TB external?

An observation: 42GB is about what it takes for PrPro to launch. Can you clean out some data on there and test?

Do not know how Mac's handle Virtual Memory, the Page File on PC's, but if they are even similar, with the large Project, you could well be running out of HDD space on your C:\. You, or a Mac-user will have to fill in the blanks there, as I just have no Mac experience.

Here is a PrPro-Wiki FAQ on "Corrupt Projects." Most of it deals with the PC, and the mentioned utility might be PC-only. Still, might be some help there.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
            Mike D. J. Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

My C drive has 42.6gb of free space, and in terms of the project should not have anything to do with it. I had set all of my media and cache files to reference the J drive, my external, where all the footage is. It has 548gb of free space and is connected to my computer via firewire cable (IEEE 1394). I have never had any issues with speed, in regard to that drive, before. That said, for some reason the project has been saving my preview/rendered files to /Common/Media Cache Files on my C drive, even though I have checked the preferences and it is set to reference J:/Raw Editing Files as the cache location. I had no idea this was going on, until literally I had only 100mb of HD space left. When I got that windows error (dangerously low disk space) was also around the time I tried and failed to open my project for the first time, though I think the error came about after the first failure.

My project file may well be corrupt, and I will try your advice soon. If this means anything, my Dr Watson folder was 11.2gb (one of the reasons for my loss of HD space), and while I didn't check the actual reports, I suspect a lot of that was because of premiere crashing. I have since cleaned it out.

I am actually running Windows XP, just on a mac machine. I'm not sure how that affects the page file, but I mean, it is XP, I am booting to a drive that runs only XP, so I suspect the differences are minimal. That said, running out of space may also be the issue. I say this because it does do everything up until that loading bar, and that too almost finishes. Almost as though something were stopping it from completing its task. Though this doesn't explain why the autosave file worked.

Oh, and I tried opening the autosaves, and no dice. Now even the one that worked before does not work. Old, new, whatever, nothing related to this project seems to open successfully.

I think what I'll do is move all the preview/rendered cache files onto my J drive. That should free up a lot of space on my C HD as well as shake up the project enough to make it do its processes differently in an attempt to find those missing files. If I come back with the same errors then it's probably safe to assume my project files themselves are corrupted.

-Mike

• 3. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

CS4, much more so than previous versions, does write to the C:\ in the location set in the OS's Environment variable. Assume that it will be the same on your Mac-PC setup.

It does sound like you are hitting a ceiling somewhere, as even other Projects are not loading completely. For me, the first "ceiling" is defragmented free space on the system HDD, though it could well be something else.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                Mike D. J. Level 1

You know, my J drive is pretty badly fragmented. I had started a defrag today, but canceled it when I moved those cache files (which did nothing to help, by the way, except free up my C drive which is much faster now, yay). I'll start a defrag on that drive and see if that helps.

• 5. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

At about 75% capacity, a HDD starts to slow down in performance and does suffer more with each % increase towards capacity.

Sorry that it did not help with the issue though.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                    Mike D. J. Level 1

Thanks for all your help thus far.

Something I noticed upon opening the project again, just on a whim. In the bottom right corner there is a load bar that pops up with the statement: Indexing [file name]. I'm not sure what the significance of this is, but it seems to be a different file for every time I load the project (or, it is a different file for each version of the project).

Some other information, if it makes a difference. My projects ran fine at point A, somewhere around April 22. Then, between point A and point B on May 2, something caused my projects to stop loading. I have been rendering out of After Effects some very, very large .avi files (30-50gb each). I've finished probably 7 so far. If this is a fragmentation issue, that seems like it would contribute to errors, right?

My J drive has 65% of space used, and it has always been speedy, what with the firewire hookup. But we'll see what happens after I defragment it. The files the defrag process is dealing with are 10-11gb each, so it'll take a while.

-Mike

• 7. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The Indexing is normally part of MPEG Assets, and is part of getting the GOP structure into an I-frame structure for Frame Accurate Editing (maybe someone will correct me, should I be wrong on this).

Other than being too slow for me to edit to/from, I have not read of, or experienced issues with IEEE-1394. However, it was not until IEEE-1394b (FW-800), that I did not feel the slowdown. Still, that was a personal observation on the fluidity of editing and not a real "problem," like what I experienced with USB 2.0 connections.

Good luck, and hope that you get things back to working again,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                        Mike D. J. Level 1

Well, more bad news. I used that XML tool to check my project file and it says there are no errors. The way I did it was, change the project file to a .xml, load it, check it, then change back to .prproj once finished.

Also, better yet, After Effects will now refuse to load. My AE projects all reference the same original footage as the PP projects, so that's looking like something significant. I did a little test with Photoshop. I opened it, created a new project using a random picture from my J drive, saved the project to the J drive, and closed. Then I re-opened to see if it would work. It did. Then I tested it with one of my footage files. It gave me an error stating that the file could not be opened. So, I don't know what that means really, but that's that. It's possible the footage file was just too long for Photoshop to handle, I don't know, I'm not Photoshop expert. After Effects is my main program

So, I am going to complete this defrag, reboot, and come back tomorrow hoping for a miracle.

• 9. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Was this PS-Extended?

Just trying to get a handle on the problem.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                            Mike D. J. Level 1

I don't think so, these are all part of the Master collection. I'm not quite sure what the difference is though.

• 11. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                              Mike D. J. Level 1

Now After Effects is working again. Only difference between now and when it wasn't is that I left the Defrag program running overnight. No reboot or anything. The defrag process didn't even finish, it was like 20% done. It seems that AE is just taking a long time to load the footage files, though still shorter than it was last night.

Also, I was able to successfully load the PPro project as well, though it took 40 minutes. It's now conforming all the files/AE comps which is taking a bit, but it's working again! I am not sure what the difference is, except that this time I was playing guitar while I waited. Do you think my computer will cooperate if it's being serenaded?

So it seems that the size of the files and the data flow from my J drive, coupled with some fragmentation issues was what had slowed my projects down to a crawl. In essence, they were not frozen or crashed, they were just taking an hour or more to actually load. I hope this is the real situation, because data corruption and bugs are an editors worst nightmare.

• 12. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                                Mike D. J. Level 1

Data flow and huge file sizes caused Premiere and After Effects to slow to a crawl when loading initial project. Defragmentation of the drive and freeing up space on the C drive helped to speed things back up.

Project files are fine, just load slowly.

• 13. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, things seem to be looking up. Let's hope that they continue that way.

What song did you play? That might be important for other users with the same problem. I always suggest burning incense and doing the "wiggly dance," counter-clockwise, when one has installation issues. Maybe some soothing guitar helps too?

Most of all, good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                                    Mike D. J. Level 1

Sadly, most of it was improvised on a cheap acoustic guitar . I will keep the wiggly dance advice in mind if I ever upgrade to CS5 (I need a new computer setup anyway).

Thanks for all your help, so far as I can tell we seem to have worked through it, though I still don't like waiting 40 minutes for a project to load. I will probably end up leaving it loaded from now until I finish.

-Mike

• 15. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Just to be safe, I'd throw in a few Save_As operations (or Save_As_a_Copy - similar, but different), in case something goes off.

Good luck, and remember - clockwise with the wiggly dance!

Hunt

• 16. Re: Looking for Help - Premiere Pro Startup Crash
                                        Mike D. J. Level 1

Thanks again, I'll do that. So far so good, fingers crossed.

-Mike