10 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2010 9:26 AM by rmw82

SWF file plays fine locally, but not online

bccasteel

Hello Flash community,

First off, thanks in advance for any insight or assistance you are able to provide.

Here's my issue...

I have a very rudimentary Flash movie that I have created. Link here to a copy of the SWF file on my company's website: http://www.comrent.net/flash-2-0

The movie appears to work all right in IE, but not in Firefox or Google Chrome.

Here are the details:

It's a leaderboard ad, and like I said, it's pretty basic. I have a simple motion tween, and then an incredibly looooooong series of nested movie clips that create the effect of a counter (like a rapidly rising jackpot).

I'm not really hip with the intricacies of ActionScript, so I couldn't code something more elegant. The "counter" is supposed to represent an increasing amount of money that not using our services might cost a company.

Ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, and ten thousands use a simple repeating movie clip. hundred thousands use one that is 10x as long, and so on. I had to stop at 1 millions, as the # of frames in between numbers was prohibitively long.

i.e. there are 10 frames in between numbers for the hundred thousands place in the movie, 100 frames for millions, and 1,000 frames for millions.

This probably is a TERRIBLE way to achieve this effect, but, like I said, I'm a beginner at ActionScript...

Thinking the problem might be due to the incredibly long movie clips, I removed the animations from some of the higher numbers from my movie, and this did not appear to affect whether it plays in Firefox or Chrome.

• 1. Re: SWF file plays fine locally, but not online
          bccasteel Level 1

Some more details,

I'm using AS2, and absolutely no fancy code whatsoever... the only actions I use are gotoAndPlay, and stop

I've also got an invisible button that uses clickTAG, but removing this also does nothing in terms of whether it plays.

Also, I am getting no errors when i test my movie.

• 2. Re: SWF file plays fine locally, but not online
            Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When ti comes to Flash versus browsers, the issue is rarely, if ever, a Flash issue.  The embedding code that is used for the placing the Flash file in the html page is always the chief suspect.  It appears you are using an older version of Flash, which will most likely generate older embedding code... which should not really be an issue.  But one thing that may be tripping things up is having a space in the path that identifies the swf file.  You should never have spaces in anything you use on the web, including file names and folder names.  So if you fix that, that may fix the problem.

Beyond that, it may help if you try using more up to date embedding methods, such as swfobject coding.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: SWF file plays fine locally, but not online
              rmw82 Level 1

I really doubt there is anything wrong with your flash movie.  The problem is most likely due to the way you embedded the flash file.  You likely embedded the file in a way that is only catering to IE and not the other browsers.

If the embedding is correct, then paths are the problem.  Remember, that if you set a directory path beginning with a "/", then you are telling the browser to start in the root directory of that application.  So "/sites/all/themes/internal/_images/flash%20banners/comrent_datacenter_4-28-2010.swf" is saying start in root then go to sites, etc. etc.

If the /sites/ folder is one level above your html page, try doing "sites/all/themes/internal/_images/flash%20banners/comrent_datacenter_4-28-2010.swf"

Technically, the paths shouldn't be the problem because it does work in IE.  Try copying and pasting the embedding code from the published html file generated by flash - then just update your paths.

Does that make sense?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: SWF file plays fine locally, but not online
                bccasteel Level 1

I see what you're saying, but that is not the final destination for that Flash file, so spaces in the file name and the method of embedding will differ on the site where we are advertising. I'm just putting the movie up there as an example.

I'm using AS2 but Flash CS4 (I just don't know AS3 yet).

The only reason this is an issue for me is that I suspect that whatever problem is causing the problems with the movie displaying in Firefox/chrome might also be causing it to not display on the ad venue's end.

If that makes any sense.

• 5. Re: SWF file plays fine locally, but not online
                  Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have CS4, it should not be generating that embedding code, so when you publish the swf, also have it publish an html file, and use (copy/paste) the code that it creates in plkace of what you have now.  There is a chance it will involve either an external javascript file to be included in the files you upload, or the head section of the html file that Flash creates will be loaded with js code that you'll need to also copy to your page.

• 6. Re: SWF file plays fine locally, but not online
                    bccasteel Level 1

That embedding code is something I found online, and has not been generated by CS4.

I'll try the code generated by CS4 and see if this fixes things.

Thanks,

Brandon

• 7. Re: SWF file plays fine locally, but not online
                      bccasteel Level 1

Hrm. I thought that taking your advice would make me feel better, but I have to say, it hasn't.

Now, I'm not even seeing anything on Internet Explorer.

Any thoughts?

Although, my company's site is controlled via a CMS, and I am unable to insert any code into the <head> of the site...

• 8. Re: SWF file plays fine locally, but not online
                        bccasteel Level 1

Maybe it was the code...

Uploading the HTML doc generated by CS4 allows me to see the movie on my site, which gives me some hope. Maybe I didn't screw up on this file!

I have some other movies that make use of Motion Tweening which were viewable in Firefox and IE using the old embed code, and I was worried that since my Leaderboard didn't, I might have made a mistake when creating the document:

http://www.comrent.net/flash

thanks for your help,

Brandon

• 9. Re: SWF file plays fine locally, but not online
                          rmw82 Level 1

Really, don't stress too much.  If the flash file plays using the HTML doc generated by CS4, it will work fine on the ad network.

The reason it wasn't working on your site is because you weren't embedding it correctly.  However, if you merely uploaded the swf file to the ad network, they take care of the embedding for you; so you should be good-to-go.

Lastly, the ad network should allow you to preview the swf file you uploaded.  No?  If they allow you to preview it from their control panel, try previewing it using different browsers so you can see that it works fine.

• 10. Re: SWF file plays fine locally, but not online
                            bccasteel Level 1

Thanks rmw82, I appreciate the feedback.

As I'm sure you and Ned are aware by now, I'm a pretty high-strung individual by nature, and knowing that -

rmw82 wrote:

Really, don't stress too much.  If the flash file plays using the HTML doc generated by CS4, it will work fine on the ad network.

The reason it wasn't working on your site is because you weren't embedding it correctly.  However, if you merely uploaded the swf file to the ad network, they take care of the embedding for you; so you should be good-to-go.

Lastly, the ad network should allow you to preview the swf file you uploaded.  No?  If they allow you to preview it from their control panel, try previewing it using different browsers so you can see that it works fine.

makes me feel a lot better.