11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2010 12:05 PM by {KMS}

After Effects CS5 with GTX 260

zm15 Level 1

I currently am running Windows 7, with AE CS5 with a Nvidia 9600GT card.

I am curious if upgrading to a GTX 260 will make any difference in RAM previews and drawing scenes for faster previews. And can this card be used to speed up PP CS5?

Is a faster CPU really the only way to speed up the after effects interface/composition timeline while creating a project?

• 1. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I am curious if upgrading to a GTX 260 will make any difference in RAM previews and drawing scenes for faster previews.

No, not really. After Effects uses the GPU for some things, but the advantages gained by beefing up one's graphics card are small compared to the benefits that can be gained with the same expense by installing lots of RAM and multiple fast local hard disks.

And can this card be used to speed up PP CS5?

See this page for a list of Nvidia cards that can currently make use of the CUDA support in Premiere Pro CS5:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

For questions about Premiere Pro, go to the Premiere Pro forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

> Is a faster CPU really the only way to speed up the after effects interface/composition timeline while creating a project?

There are many ways. They are summarized here: "Improve performance"

• 2. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
            yenaphe Level 4

The only GTX supported by Ppro for Cuda acceleration is the GT285. No other GTX card will work.

• 3. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
              zm15 Level 1

thanks for clarification. So as far as fast disks go, should the fastest disk be the one the OS sits on? Or the one where the fiels that I'm working from are on? I have two separate drives, one for the OS, and one for working files.

This one i've never been sure about

• 4. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'd make sure that my footage/assets were on my faster drive.

• 5. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
                  Amr Toukhy Level 1

I have the GTX 260 and trying at the moment the AE CS5 and i was hoping that the 64Bit world would give us better scrubbing for the 5D Mark II file, but it didn't am i missing anything in here !!!

i have 8GB of ram too ...

Thanks,

Amr Toukhy

• 6. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I have the GTX 260 and trying at the moment the AE CS5 and i was hoping that the 64Bit world would give us better scrubbing for the 5D Mark II file, but it didn't am i missing anything in here !!!

You have two very different items in your question:

- regarding the graphics card: There is no reason that a graphics card would do anything to accelerate scrubbing (manual preview) of a single layer with no 3D properties or GPU-accelerated effects. To see what After Effects can accelerate with a graphics card, see "Render with OpenGL".

- regarding the 64-bit application: There is no reason to expect that the fact that an application is a 64-bit application would make scrubbing of a single layer faster. There are many advantages to a 64-bit application, but this isn't one of them. See "Advantages of a 64-bit application and 64-bit address space".

• 7. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                      i was hoping that the 64Bit world would give us better scrubbing for the 5D Mark II file, but it didn't am i missing anything in here !!!

Why should it? It still runs on the same processor and uses the same code. You are merely falling victim to the old wrong myth from the beginning of 64bit operating systems.

Mylenium

• 8. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
                        Amr Toukhy Level 1

thank you man for the reply,

but i have the following question,

when i convert the compressed 5D mark II files to Quicktime animation codec

the scrubbing is much smoother, but when i keep them h264 the scrubbing is

almost impossible ...

but when i move to premiere the situation is the same except if you enable

the MPE ...

i mean intermediat codes are much smoother than the GOP codes i know that

and i was hoping AE CS5 would minimally solve that issue ... but it seems

that it did not ....

thanks again,

amr toukhy

• 9. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> when i convert the compressed 5D mark II files to Quicktime animation codec

the scrubbing is much smoother, but when i keep them h264 the scrubbing is

almost impossible ...

Animation is not an interframe codec. H.264 is. That means that H.264 requires information from several frames to reconsruct a single frame. That takes processor power. That is slow.

> i was hoping AE CS5 would minimally solve that issue

After Effects CS5 made huge strides in RAM preview efficiency. RAM previews are much, much longer. Also, RAM previews are much faster because the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature has been optimized.

But scrubbing? Not so much. After Effects isn't a real-time program. It's not an NLE. Don't expect it to be. If you want to view something in real time in After Effects, you have to render (and by that I mean rendering frames for RAM preview).

• 10. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
                            bionicShepherd Level 1

I have After Effects CS5, Windows 7 64-bit and a Geforce GTX 260 with latest drivers... and OpenGL doesn't work. It's supposed to according to the list of campatible cards, but it just won't recognise my card. Photoshop does though.

• 11. Re: After Effects CS5 with GTX 260
                              {KMS} Level 2

Try deleting your After Effects preference file.  I had the same problem and deleting the preference file fixed it.

Kevin