19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2011 1:39 AM by dkitsov

ASIO support in Premiere CS5

F. McLennon Level 1

Hoi all,

I have an interesting problem.

I installed the trial version of the Premium Production Suite CS5

Everyting works fine.

Just to be clear on this.

I do have audio, on my computer and in premiere and it works.

But now I want to configure my audio hardware and set my soundcards ASIO driver and guess what... its not there.

This is what I did...

In Adobe Premiere Pro, choose Edit > Preference > Audio Hardware. The default driver appears in the Input/Output Device menu as Adobe Default Windows Sound. If an ASIO driver supplied by the sound card manufacturer is installed, it is also appears in this menu.

well, it does not appear in the menu.

Strange because, in my CS4 it works correctly.
      There I can select my soundcards ASIO driver and it works perfectly.

So I can choose between Premiere Pro WDM Sound and Creative ASIO.

In my CS5, I only get to see the Premiere Pro WDM Sound setting.

And thats a pain in the ... you know what lol ... because now I'm not able to use my 5.1 surround system in Premiere pro because I'm only able to use my front speakers wich makes it very difficult to mix audio in a 5.1 surround enviroment.

I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional Series soundcard  with the latest drivers installed.
      and just to be clear on this.

It works perfectly in CS4 and even in other programs like Magix Samplitude 11 Pro.

Just not in my CS5

Hope someone has some ideas on this one.

Thanks in advance

Fred

• 1. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
          oliewdj Level 1

Fred,

i also have the same problem, i installed cs5 trial to test the new premiere, and whilst everything in vista 64 works fantasticly, in cs5 and windows 7 i cant select anything but premiere WDM driver in the output mapping.

I have the creative x-fi titanium 5.1, everythings set up for 5.1, and the soundcard recognises the speakers connected, but premiere cant see the asio driver somehow (using latest drivers)

• 2. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
            F. McLennon Level 1

Good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Maybe something that can be solved with an update.

In Soundbooth however I can choose my Creative Asio driver.

So I started to go thrue all the relevant software and started to compare my CS4 and CS5 programs.

This is the result:

Premiere Pro CS5 can't see the Creative ASIO drivers (works in CS4)

After Effects CS5 can't see the Creative ASIO drivers (works in CS4)

Soundbooth is able to see the Creative ASIO drivers (also works in CS4)

At this point I even tried to install ASIO4ALL.

Premiere Pro CS5 is able to see the ASIO4ALL drivers, so I selected this and configured the settings, but when I start to play audio in the timeline in a surround setup the output channels are wrong:

Left = Left

C = SL

R = Right

SL = C

SR = LFE

And there's no way in fixing this so that's no option and I un-installed ASIO4ALL.

maybe it has something to do with CS5 beeing natively 64-bit.

But at the moment I can't think of what more I can do.

I even started Premiere Pro CS5 as administrator. No change...

Going into adobes hardware compatibility list for CS5 programs, there's no hardware you can select.

So ...

Hopefully someone with Adobe picks up this problem and is able to fix it or is able to give a workarround.

Fred.

• 3. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Try to find Creative 64 bit ASIO drivers.

• 4. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                oliewdj Level 1

Fred,

Yes im glad you have the same issue...

thanks for the reply re:64bit drivers, Im going to have a look now!

Asio4all never worked very well for me before, I tried it before with a realtek HD onboard sound, it wasnt too good, decided it was too flakey and got the proper X-FI asio card and it was perfect in cs4 + vista,

Cheers

Oli

• 5. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                  F. McLennon Level 1

Well,

Ive been looking for creative ASIO 64-bit drivers for my Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional Series

So far no luck.

There's some forums where people present a workarround, but after trying out some things I still don't have the

64-bit ASIO support for my card.

On the Creative's website I can't find anything regarding the issue or any solutions. (and thus no 64-bit ASIO drivers)

So I will write them an e-mail in the morning.

On the other hand, some people already contacted Creative but so far no luck.

Well .... hopefully there will be a solution soon.

What I'm sure of now is that it's not a CS5 issue, but without a doubt a x64 ASIO support problem.

And I must say, after working around in de Production Premium Suite... so far I'm pretty happy with the improvements Adobe made.

greetz Fred.

ps. If there's a computerwizz out there with a solution for the ASIO 64-bit support problem?

Then show us some magic

• 6. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    If there's a computerwizz out there with a solution for the ASIO 64-bit support problem?

Unfortunately, my one "trick" is ASIO4ALL, but you've been there - done that. The "trick bag" is officially empty.

Good luck, and I'm following along on this issue, as I will be going with a new DD 5.1 SS card on the new workstation and will likely meet with the same issues then. Nice if someone has a "fix" early on.

Hunt

• 7. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                      oliewdj Level 1

i tried the fix posted on creative site, but my download of the drivers didnt include some key 64bit dll and exe, so i couldnt register it properly, looks from research that audigy users have a 64bit fix for asio now, but they are working on new drivers for x-fi people.

hopefully wont be long!

wierd thing is... i have always had asio working in vista 64 with cs4!!? not sure how i managed that

Oli

• 8. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The difference of course being that CS4 was 32 bit and CS5 is 64 bit. That is the reson that all plug-ins need to be upgraded to the 64 bit version, and the same may apply to the ASIO drivers/DLL's.

• 9. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                          F. McLennon Level 1

Harm Milaan is hitting the nail right on the head

The ASIO drivers are 32-bit and because of CS4 beeing 32-bit it works like a charm.

But Premiere Pro CS5 is natively 64-bit and is unable to 'work' with the 32-bit ASIO Drivers.

But I wrote a mail to Creative... maybe they have a solution.

I've got some 100 candles burning and pray they do

Fred

• 10. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Fred,

With 64-bit becoming almost the "norm," I would anticipate that Creative is working night and day on 64-bit drivers and control consoles. That, however, is just a guess on my part.

Good luck, and hope the candles do the trick!

Hunt

• 11. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                              F. McLennon Level 1

Wel,

I've got a nice standard answer from Creative with the usual it's-not-our-fault,-check-your-drivers,-ask-Adobe-and-restart-your-computer reply.

So, I'm assuming there will be no ASIO 64-bit support voor my soundcard soon.

The next question is ...

Are there soundcards availlable out there that do have ASIO 64-bit support?

Because, I can't seem to find any.

Greatings,

Fred

• 12. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                                oliewdj Level 1

Fred, i have mine working now courtesy of a fix spydor sent me on creative forums!!

pm me your email if you can so i can send link?

or find my thred on their support forums and pm him

cheers

Oli

• 13. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Oli,

It might be useful to post the "fix" in this thread, if possible, so that others can benefit from it too.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 14. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                                    oliewdj Level 1

Fix courtesy of sydor01 on forums.creative.com

regards

Oli

Here's the link to the four dll files:

box.net/shared/8loilkeij4

After copying them to your system32 directory, start->run the command:

regsvr32 /s ctasio.dll ctppld.dll ctdproxy.dll ctouser.dll

Note, this worked for me in Windows 7 64-bit and Cubase 5 64-bit. Unsure whether it would also work for other variants.

• 15. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Oli,

Thank you. I am sure that some users will greatly benefit.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 16. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                                        jabloomf1230 Level 1

Make sure you don't have a Creative sound card installed with its the most recent drivers, as you will overwrite those four files. You may mess something up, by manually registering them, without manually unregistering the previous versions.

• 17. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                                          F. McLennon Level 1

Lol,

Stil couldn't get my asio drivers to work in 64-bit.

But honesty tells me that I haven't had time this weekend.

I tried some of those workarrounds on the Creative forum, but It didn't quite work.

But there are several versions.

So maybe if you could Oliwdj, explain what exactly did you do?

I also have Windows 7 and I do have those four missing files.

Do I have to intstall my drivers all over again with the adjusted batch file?

Do I just put the 4 files in my system32 folder?

I would be very greatfull ...

thanks in advance,

Fred

• 18. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                                            Kobi_Sargeant Level 1

Someone asked about other cards ... the Presonus Firebox family has 64-bit ASIO drivers that work fine in CS5.

• 19. Re: ASIO support in Premiere CS5
                                              dkitsov Level 2

You can actually rearrange the channels in the Audio Output Mapping panel of the preferences. Worked for me.