1 person found this helpful
This sounds like something one of our beta users ran into. Something to do with a mac-specific bug with CoreAudio support in OSX.
Here's what supposedly did the trick for fixing it:
> ...open up Audio MIDI Setup and see if there is a device entry for Premiere
> 5.0 when this problem is happening, if there is no entry then there is likely
> a problem with the preferences. The system pref file in question is
> com.apple.audio.AggregateDevices.plist located in /Library/Preferences/.
The beta user found that the permissions on that particular file were locked - once he lifted the permission restrictions, things started to work.
Cheers Will, I've changed the file's permissions but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Or do you mean that I should now reinstall the apps now? You might be in the right ballpark though as I've tested SoundBooth now and it has exactly the same glitch.
There is a device entry for Premiere Pro 4.0 and Soundbooth 2.0, what versions should it be showing? I've got things working on my Macbook Pro, what if I copied this file and replaced the version on my Mac Pro with it?
Without having hit the problem myself, I can't say firsthand. Being a pref file, I *suspect* that if you simply deleted the file, it's probable that it
might recreate itself. So, barring the permissions tweak failing, my next attempt would be to rename the existing file (so you can revert if necessary) & relaunch. I'm not so sure how it would behave if you pulled one from another system, but it's certainly also worth a try if my first suggestion yields nothing.
Didn't work at first, but swapping it for the file from the Macbook Pro's worked. Excellent!
Thanks Wil, will replace my order for CS5 now!
Just found this note on one of the apple forums, which leads me to ask: are you launching PPro from an admin account? I suspect that you need to at least run it once so that the sound device can be added.
"SOLVED!!!!! I spend about 5 hours one the phone with Cameron at AppleCare as well as some time on my own, and we FINALLY figured it out!
The important thing is that you can ONLY add aggregate devices from an admin account, but that may not be the only problem. It certainly wasn't in my case. So, here are the steps to follow:
1. Try adding/removing aggregate devices from an ADMIN account. If this works, you're good. If it doesn't, or if you're already on an admin account, try creating a new admin account.
2. If even a new admin account doesn't work, REINSTALL SNOW LEOPARD. If you just use the default install, it does an Archive and Install. It only takes about an hour, and you won't even notice OS X has been reinstalled except for the fact you'll have to reinstall the 10.6.1 update and any other misc. updates. Besides, it'll run a lot faster. It's so easy in fact that I'm going to start recommending you reinstall like this every couple months or so just to keep your Mac running in top condition.
3. NOW try creating aggregate devices from one or more admin account. It should work now. If it doesn't, then you have a different problem and I can't really help you much."
Excellent, glad it's working for you
Rather then guess which file or folder had permission issues, I simply logged in as root user, selected "Library -->Preferences" on my hard drive (not user account) and enabled all folders within to read/write and bingo! Turned out to be a super easy fix. Thanks for all the direction and help.