8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 7:49 AM by ejsdesign

Premiere CS5 + MacPro + GTX285 = Zero video playback??

someofmywork Level 1

Just wondering if anyone's had a similar problem to myself with the new CS5 trial.

I've installed it on my Mac Pro (3,1)  2x2.8 Quad core with 18gb RAM, Nvidia GTX285, OS 10.6.3, SSD Boot drive, RAID0 for source files and scratch disk. I've installed the latest GTX285 drivers and also the CUDA 3.0 drivers.

I can trigger the Mercury Engine in the project settings and see the yellow bars to show it's 'working'. But I cannot playback video in Premiere AT ALL.

The video tries to play and manages to for up to a second, but then jumps back to wherever I'd placed the playback head. It doesn't struggle through it like it might on a slow drive etc, it just fails to play beyond a second. Even in source monitor. This is for every project and file type I've tried, from lowly DV to H264 to ProRes.

Anyone had this or any ideas on what I can try to get things working?

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5 + MacPro + GTX285 = Zero video playback??
          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

This sounds like something one of our beta users ran into.  Something to do with a mac-specific bug with CoreAudio support in OSX.

Here's what supposedly did the trick for fixing it:

> ...open up Audio MIDI Setup and see if there is a device entry for Premiere
          > 5.0 when this problem is happening, if there is no entry then there is likely
          > a problem with the preferences. The system pref file in question is
          > com.apple.audio.AggregateDevices.plist located in /Library/Preferences/.

The beta user found that the permissions on that particular file were locked - once he lifted the permission restrictions, things started to work.

Cheers

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere CS5 + MacPro + GTX285 = Zero video playback??
            someofmywork Level 1

Cheers Will, I've changed the file's permissions but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Or do you mean that I should now reinstall the apps now? You might be in the right ballpark though as I've tested SoundBooth now and it has exactly the same glitch.

There is a device entry for Premiere Pro 4.0 and Soundbooth 2.0, what versions should it be showing? I've got things working on my Macbook Pro, what if I copied this file and replaced the version on my Mac Pro with it?

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5 + MacPro + GTX285 = Zero video playback??

Without having hit the problem myself, I can't say firsthand. Being a pref file, I *suspect* that if you simply deleted the file, it's probable that it

might recreate itself.  So, barring the permissions tweak failing,  my next attempt would be to rename the existing file (so you can revert if necessary) & relaunch.  I'm not so sure how it would behave if you pulled one from another system, but it's certainly also worth a try if my first suggestion yields nothing.

Cheers

• 4. Re: Premiere CS5 + MacPro + GTX285 = Zero video playback??
                someofmywork Level 1

Didn't work at first, but swapping it for the file from the Macbook Pro's worked. Excellent!

Thanks Wil, will replace my order for CS5 now!

• 5. Re: Premiere CS5 + MacPro + GTX285 = Zero video playback??

Just found this note on one of the apple forums, which leads me to ask: are you launching PPro from an admin account?  I suspect that you need to at least run it once so that the sound device can be added.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2163743&tstart=0

"SOLVED!!!!!  I spend about 5 hours one the phone with Cameron at AppleCare as well as some time on my own, and we FINALLY figured it out!

The important thing is that you can ONLY add aggregate devices from an admin account, but that may not be the only problem.  It certainly wasn't in my case.  So, here are the steps to follow:

1. Try adding/removing aggregate devices from an ADMIN account.  If this works, you're good.  If it doesn't, or if you're already on an admin account, try creating a new admin account.

2. If even a new admin account doesn't work, REINSTALL SNOW LEOPARD.  If you just use the default install, it does an Archive and Install.  It only takes about an hour, and you won't even notice OS X has been reinstalled except for the fact you'll have to reinstall the 10.6.1 update and any other misc. updates.  Besides, it'll run a lot faster.  It's so easy in fact that I'm going to start recommending you reinstall like this every couple months or so just to keep your Mac running in top condition.

3. NOW try creating aggregate devices from one or more admin account.  It should work now.  If it doesn't, then you have a different problem and I can't really help you much."

• 6. Re: Premiere CS5 + MacPro + GTX285 = Zero video playback??

Excellent, glad it's working for you

Cheers

• 7. Re: Premiere CS5 + MacPro + GTX285 = Zero video playback??
                      ryan1331

I had to login as the Root user and then just started the application and it fixed the problem. Crazy simple once you know what to do. See here http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/842/cpsid_84287.html

• 8. Re: Premiere CS5 + MacPro + GTX285 = Zero video playback??
                        ejsdesign

Rather then guess which file or folder had permission issues, I simply logged in as root user, selected "Library -->Preferences" on my hard drive (not user account) and enabled all folders within to read/write and bingo!  Turned out to be a super easy fix.  Thanks for all the direction and help.