24 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2010 4:13 PM by Bill Gehrke

Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4

Hendrix3333

Which card is recommended/supported? Will it work with any OpenGL 2.0 card as advertised?

Is Nvidia GT240 ok for Premiere pro CS4?

• 1. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Nearly every modern card is supported. Budget?

• 2. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
            Hendrix3333 Level 1

Budget: ~400$

I have already tested Premiere Pro on Nvidia 9800GX2 and AMD X2 5600 processor. Preview/rendering/export is up to 30x slower then expected.

Posts that I have come across on the web seem to imply dependancy on graphics card (model/manufacturer/driver version).

• 3. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

For CS4 video card is irrelevant. A $ 30 card will perform as well as a $ 2,000 card.

For CS5 it can make a huge difference with MPE, but the least expensive card in that case is the nVidia GTX-285, somewhat close to your budget.

Your tests show that the AMD is a major bottleneck. Maybe other components as well.

• 4. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                Mother Macabre

HP is selling a 1.8 GB NVIDIA GTX260 graphics card as the 'high-falutin' choice for configuring their HP Pavillion Elite 180 series.  I read a post here that insinuates it is inadequate. Is a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 any better? Or should I just get the 'included' card & then replace it.

Thanks for your answer.

• 5. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                  shooternz Level 6

Why dont you future proof your self and get something that will work in CS5?

• 8. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                    chupacabracobra Level 1
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Mother Macabre wrote:

HP is selling a 1.8 GB NVIDIA GTX260 graphics card as the 'high-falutin' choice for configuring their HP Pavillion Elite 180 series.  I read a post here that insinuates it is inadequate. Is a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 any better? Or should I just get the 'included' card & then replace it.

Thanks for your answer.

The ATI definitely won't work to accelerate effects. Perhaps in CS6 if they go to OpenCL or something, who knows. I seriously doubt they will end up patching CS5 to ever work that way. I just can't imagine that happening.

One thing to keep in mind is that only

certain effects make use of the graphics cards at all and whether you use none of them, a few, or a lot means the graphics card make zero, a fair amount or an incredible amount of difference.

If the HP deal gives you the 260 at a very subsidized rate then it might make sense to give it a go. Despite a few claims posted on this thread, you can get it to work if you jsut type the name GTX 260 into the .txt file for CS5 approved cards yourself (barring them deciding to lock this out in the future). If they aren't give you a very nice deal on it than just get the lowest of the low and buy a card on your own.

• 9. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                      BigJQV

I don't want to hijack this thread, but i got a similar question and don't want to make another thread for it.

I'm new to this whole Premiere Pro / After Effects and got sucked in by it. Never bought anything for Pro level video editing or Motion Graphics before and i decided it was time for a PC upgrade.

I know more or less what my budget allows, but want to make sure i make the most of my money for the intended purpose.

Budget? 700-800ish (will reuse a 4:3 19" monitor, so no monitor for this build)

What would be the most important factor on the build? I think im going with the cheapest AMD Phenom II x6 platforms and probably a consumer grade video card like the ATI 5000 series in terms of the cheap models in order to have money for atleast 8GB of Ram, is that the right thinking? sacrifice video card in order to get more RAM makes more sense? or should i go with a 5750/5770 model and just get 4GB of RAM? can't have both lol

I'm torn in between that... better graphics card or more RAM.

Also i will be working with AVCHD video from a Panasonic HMC40 and this will not make me money in the short term, but i hope it will on the long term.

If you need any more info please let me know... I am limited in money because i'm buying both things at once... the Camcorder and the PC.

• 10. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                        chupacabracobra Level 1
                        function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

BigJQV wrote:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but i got a similar question and don't want to make another thread for it.

I'm new to this whole Premiere Pro / After Effects and got sucked in by it. Never bought anything for Pro level video editing or Motion Graphics before and i decided it was time for a PC upgrade.

I know more or less what my budget allows, but want to make sure i make the most of my money for the intended purpose.

Budget? 700-800ish (will reuse a 4:3 19" monitor, so no monitor for this build)

What would be the most important factor on the build? I think im going with the cheapest AMD Phenom II x6 platforms and probably a consumer grade video card like the ATI 5000 series in terms of the cheap models in order to have money for atleast 8GB of Ram, is that the right thinking? sacrifice video card in order to get more RAM makes more sense? or should i go with a 5750/5770 model and just get 4GB of RAM? can't have both lol

I'm torn in between that... better graphics card or more RAM.

Also i will be working with AVCHD video from a Panasonic HMC40 and this will not make me money in the short term, but i hope it will on the long term.

If you need any more info please let me know... I am limited in money because i'm buying both things at once... the Camcorder and the PC.

The CPU can be pretty important if you deal with AVCHD since they appear to do all decoding using the CPUs only and AVCHD really takes a lot to decode without using custom chip assist.

On a different note, if you want any hope of acceleratiing the CUDA effects then you need to forget ATI (or, at best, wait for CS6) and get some nvidia card that has at least 800MB and is reasonably modern.

• 11. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                          BigJQV Level 1

Like i said before, im just starting to look into this and i like the workflow of Ppro CS3 is the one my buddy has, but when you say CUDA effects, what are you really talking about, can you show me a link i may be able to kinda educate myself into that?

BTW the PC will not be just for this as I want to use it to hone (<~~ is that even spelled correctly?) my skills in it, but still be able to do other stuff. It will be most likely a Windows 7 64bit machine.

BTW (edit)

Take in consideration the price of the whole PC. I was reading about this and it seems the Quadro series of cards are the ones able to do this. The thing is i can't afford them on this build, with the amount of money i have for it. Taking that in consideration, would Nvidia still be the best bet?

• 12. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                            Mother Macabre Level 1

Thank you very much for your advice. I appreciate your help.

• 13. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                              Mother Macabre Level 1

Thanks for those links. I'm sure I'll get some education there! Thanks for your time.

• 14. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                Mother Macabre Level 1

Man, I wish I had the chops to build my own machine...I tried to get someone to build it for me, but they're afraid to get stuck with complaints from a clueless user down the road, I'm sure. 

• 15. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                  Mother Macabre Level 1

Personally, I have no idea what CUDA is, but I plan to learn.

I guess it's fairly easy to plug in a new card, but even the simplest of us has dealt with incompatability issues, and I'm concerned that if I pop in a different card, I'll fall into a can of worms.

But I might do it anyway....

• 16. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                    chupacabracobra Level 1

You don't ned a quadro.

They have listed the GTX 285 so you are good there for sure no matter what they do in the future.

It also seems to work with pretty much any card that supports CUDA so long as it has at least 768MB of memory (barring some patch to really try and lock out other cards, one would sure hope they wouldn't get into those sorts of games though).

Although it doesn't seem to use it a real lot, i definitely have noticed my GTX 275 making a difference at times, choppy to smooth.

Adobe has a list of the effects that CUDA helps out posted somewhere. I know it includes sharpen, rotate, 3D, some of the color correction, cross-disolve (the latter seemed to run fine withotu CUDA on my machine on the other hand sharpen was helped a real lot)

• 17. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                      cts51911 Level 1

Harm,

Noticed you are running ATI in your rig 4xxx.  Since you are a beta tester,  is there something in development?  CS5 Point release perhaps?

You can (wink) say "No Comment" if there is.

Regards, Chris

• 18. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

If you consider that Adobe has said that support for the GTX-480 Fremi card is expected in Q3, and maybe other cards sometime in the future, it looks like a safe assumption that Adobe continues work on CS5. Every version has known DOT and POINT releases, why would CS5 be different?

• 19. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                          cts51911 Level 1

Harm,

You are one crafty person with your words

Seriously, I have read a lot of what you have contributed here....Impressive stuff.  Your guides are priceless.

Chris

Harm Millaard wrote:

Chris,

If you consider that Adobe has said that support for the GTX-480 Fremi card is expected in Q3, and maybe other cards sometime in the future, it looks like a safe assumption that Adobe continues work on CS5. Every version has known DOT and POINT releases, why would CS5 be different?

• 20. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                            BigJQV Level 1

So if i don't plan to buy CS5 in the next year or so, i would be good with my system describe on my post above and any CUDA caplable Nvidia Card? Remember im not making money out of this investment, so CS5 would come into play if i get good enough to make money out of my camera and pc (including CS4) investment.

• 21. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

If you are content with CS4 there is no reason to get a CUDA capable card. Even a $ 50 ATI card would be enough to bridge the time to when you decide to upgrade to CS5.

• 22. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

Thanks for the compliment. Finally my grammar school education pays off. It took a long time though.

I guess my skiing education was more fun, but the languages tought in school and practicing them abroad are a distinct benefit. Just the other week we had a dinner, hosted by a Swiss, and being able to switch instantly between Swiss-German, German, Dutch, French and English is a nice side effect of that schooling.

• 23. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a $60 card that works excellently in CS4.  See the results of my first place (CS4) results testing with my PPBM4 benchmark in a motherboard with the $1000 i7-980X CPU and 8 each 1TB disk drives in a RAID array.  It is the fastest overclocked or (look down a way on the results) non-overclocked CS4 machine on the Results spreadsheet. This proves that with CS4 any graphics board is fine.  And, actually when I put a Quadro FX1700 in the system the benchmarks drop in performance.

Needless to say I have just acquired a new CUDA (GTX 285) graphics board in preperation for CS5

• 24. Re: Graphics card for Premiere Pro CS4
                                                    cts51911 Level 1

Harm,

Experience is one thing....Intelligence is another.  You have both.  What sets you apart is your willingness to help ALL.

Chris