10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 6:20 PM by John T Smith

No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5

Birshed

Hi,

I am new to Premiere Pro and my organisation want to start doing some video work for their website.  We have filmed some clips and have now saved these on the PC.  When I import these clips to Premiere Pro, I can see the clip, but when I drag it to the sequence the audio track is missing.  I have tried some other videos from our vimeo page, the audio in these works normally as you would expect.

The files I am having an issue with are AVCHD (mts) from a Canon Legria camcorder.  The audio plays normally when you open them in Windows Media player.

The PC is an Intel Xeon, 4GB RAM with Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 running Windows 7 with nearly 2TB of disk space so I know its not an issue with the spec of the system.  At the minute we are using the trail.  It's quite complicated but when we ordered the software it was between CS4 and CS5, they shipped us the CS4 box with a free upgrade to CS5, the box hasn't arrived yet so we are using the trail of CS5 we downloaded from Adobe.com.

If anyone has any help or advice I'd really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Bernard

• 1. Re: No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

AVCHD and its likely counterpart, AC3 audio, are not supported in the

trial.  The fact that you actually got the video to import means you are

far ahead of most folks when they try to work with AVCHD in the trial

version.

I know that's not much consolation, but if you want to sample all of

CS5's goodness, you'll have to buy a copy.  Adobe offers a 30-day,

money-back guarantee if the software doesn't live up to your expectations.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5
            Birshed Level 1

Thanks Jeff.  I'll get on to IT and get a serial!

B

• 3. Re: No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bernard,

As the trial cannot handle anything MPEG, I am surprised that you get the Video. I wonder if you do not have the full-paid version of CS4.

Now, if you do, you probably have CS4.0.0, or maybe CS4.1. AVCHD uses AC3 Audio and was not supported in the earliest releases of CS4. However, it was added in the CS4.2 update. I would first update to CS4.2 and try again with the AVCHD material.

Also, many consumer cameras shoot AVCHD with DD 5.1 SS Audio. Do not know about your camera, but you should be able to check that in the camera's menu>audio, or similar.

If that is the case, PrPro will create a 5.1 Audio Track to accommodate it. Output of DD 5.1 SS is slightly involved, and I will not go into that now. If needed, I can step you through that process.

When you Import your file into PrPro, be patient and let it Conform. This is monitored by a blue progress bar at the lower-right of the GUI. Be patient, until that completes 100%.

Good luck, and let us know if the CS4.2 update helps you.

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum

PPS - I see that Jeff beat me to the punch.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PPS

• 4. Re: No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5
                JayMade Design Level 1

lil weak don’t you think!.

The very "Top of the list" reason why I wanted to try out CS5 was to see how it handled  avchd.  You would think Adobe  would want to WOW potential buyers with that particularly feature . Especially with the amount of sd card holding media these days.

I currently use cs4 master suit. I have no problem tweaking my photos but comes to a halt when I render out 1920x1080.  I was so stoked about the mercury playback engine

my 1st try with avchd and no audio. Ran though same file neosceen to see how the avi would handle and it PP crashes.  Not looking too promising on upgrading.

• 5. Re: No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There has been much discussion (over the years) on the limitations of the trial version. It has contributed to more posts here, than about any other subject.

It may well be that things will be changed in the future, and that a "watermark" will be employed to honor some legal issues with MainConcept, the maker/owner of the MPEG CODEC's. No time has been given, nor has confirmation that this will come about, but talk is on-going.

As for a full "trial" of CS5, Adobe does offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee. You buy it, and try it, with no limitations as to CODEC's, etc., and if you do not like it, return it within 30 days, and you get your $ back. While many have issues with the crippled trial, few have such with this offer.

Something to think about,

Hunt

• 6. Re: No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5
                    JayMade Design Level 1

sorry, didn't want to come across as flaming on new release. justagravated about time spent waiting for something to render or preview corrctly. I have been using premier since 6.5. I always seem to haveproblems or short coming with Premier. my latest being  working with avchd  has a hard time  with payback and extremely long time to render. I was really wanting to try out the new playback engine to see if it helps.  Photoshop  Indesign, illustrator all works like a charm. Just kinda hard to recommend for an  upgrade to powers that be with out seeing benifit.

• 7. Re: No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As you have found out, AVCHD is a CPU hog of a format/CODEC. It is tough to edit on even a very stout machine.

I wonder if the camera salespeople are hoping to sell a hot new computer to everyone who buys AVCHD?

At least here, more users are on much more powerful computers. You should hear the screams in the PrElements forum! No one is telling the buying public of the issues, and they have to find out for themselves. It's almost a "pay US$3K for an HD camera, whose footage you can edit with a newish semi-fast computer," or "pay US$3K for a computer to edit the AVCHD?"

Hunt

• 8. Re: No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am very happy with CS5 and AVCHD on my new computer

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0

With one small convert to SD problem http://forums.adobe.com/thread/653789?tstart=0

• 9. Re: No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, but you have an OC'ed dual i7 with 36GB RAM and freon cooling!

Hunt

• 10. Re: No audio on imported AVCHD files PP CS5
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I had to chuckle at that description of my "semi" budget CS5 computer... I'm not sure what you describe would fit in my office, let alone in the space on my computer table

Backyard work progresses slowly... one of these days, the wife will be "done" so I can get back to filming instead of doing HER work!