13 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 12:58 PM by badkatty00

Help with copying frames

badkatty00

Hi,

Thanks in advance for spending some time helping me with this issue. Im new to the Flash world

I am actually designing a website and need to copy frames from one page to another. The problem is that after pasting the frames in a different location I dont seem to be able to edit it without having the original frame change. Is there anyway I can copy frames (animation, buttons etc) and still be able to edit them without having the original frame change?

My intention is two have multiple pages with the same basic design but slight modification on each page.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Help with copying frames
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

there's no problem editing objects in pasted frames.  flash treats those objects the same as the objects in the original frames.

exactly what problem are you having?

• 2. Re: Help with copying frames
            badkatty00 Level 1

Thats exactly my problem - that flash is treating the pasted object the same as the original frame.

I want to be able to treat the new pasted objects independantly without flash propagating my change to the original object.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Help with copying frames

you can edit objects in the pasted frames independently from the originals.  but if you double click or otherwise go to the objects "timeline", you'll be editing all instances of that object including the one(s) on the original frames.

to remedy, create duplicate objects and use the properites panel to swap the copied originals with the duplicates.  you can then edit the duplicates without editing the originals.

• 4. Re: Help with copying frames
                badkatty00 Level 1

Thanks so much kqlad - that worked. Its painstaking to duplicate all the symbols within a frame but I guess I have no choice

• 5. Re: Help with copying frames

you're welcome.

if you have hundreds of object, creating a jsfl file to duplicate everything for you might be worthwhile.  but it's not likely you have that many and it just takes three clicks to duplicate each one.

• 6. Re: Help with copying frames
                    badkatty00 Level 1

Im actually working on it right now and ran into something.

So, lets say I have two frames - frame 2 is a copy of frame 1.

I open frame 2 and then duplicate a object (in frame 2). I then find that the same object has the duplicate name in frame 1 (the orginal frame). so its kinda like a chicken vs an egg thing.

HELP!

Im going round and round changes objects in one place only to find that flash changed it in the other place too! I also tried deleting the layer and re-creating it - but to no avail.

• 7. Re: Help with copying frames

copy frame 1 to frame 2.

make a list of all the library objects in frame 2.  (anything else that's not in your library (like shapes) you can edit in frame 2 and they won't change in frame 1).

in your library, right click on one of the objects you noted in you list, click duplicate, click ok.  (you may as well accept the default name for now.)

do the same for all the objects in your list.

now, click on one of the objects in frame 2 to select it.  in the properties panel click swap and select the duplicate.  do the same for all the frame 2 objects.

you can now (or anytime after they were created) edit the duplicate objects.  frame 2 will reflect those changes.  frame 1 will not.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Help with copying frames
                        badkatty00 Level 1

I think I figured it out. I *think*.

When you make a copy of a 'master' object -> flash still copies all the 'sub' objects inside the master. so even though u have a different master object the sub objects are still interconnected.

Make sense?

• 9. Re: Help with copying frames
                          badkatty00 Level 1

perfecto!

Working on it right now.

• 10. Re: Help with copying frames

yes.  if you have a library object that contains another library object, you'll need to duplicate the parent and child both.

• 11. Re: Help with copying frames
                              badkatty00 Level 1

kglad - darn. It still doesnt work.

So here'a what im doing.

I first made a copy of the main frame and pasted it further in the time line.

I then made duplicates of all the objects in frame 1.

I then opened up frame 2 and started swapping out the objects to the duplicates. Flash propagates this change to the objects in Frame 1. So now, I have the duplicate objects showing in Frame 1.

Thanks so much for your time and help with this.

• 12. Re: Help with copying frames
                                badkatty00 Level 1

Oh shoot. I got it.

Thanks soo much kglad. I missed the parent object of all the other objects I had been duplicating.

The frame had a main object - I just missed that. Once I duplicated that too - Flash no-longer propagates the change.

Phoof!

• 13. Re: Help with copying frames
                                  badkatty00 Level 1

For anyone else with this same issue the trick is to start with the Parent of the parent object - and then keep moving down. Top down approach.