35 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 4:47 PM by JulesN

Template problem with cs5

JulesN Level 2

I've transferred all my sites to cs5 (from cs4).  I build all my sites with DW templates.  When I bring up my pages from any site in DW cs4, I can edit them no problem.  When I bring them up in cs5, all of a sudden I have the "no-edit" symbol (red circle crossed) when I try to type over any editable areas.  Is there a setting that I am missing that I forgot to readjust when I loaded the files in cs5?

Thanks in advance

Jules

• 1. A bit more info...
          JulesN Level 2

I can edit the content that is "editable" in code view, but I can't edit it in design view...

• 2. Re: Template problem with cs5
            JulesN Level 2

I think I'm talking to myself, here...

But just in case anyone has run into this problem with cs5...

I usually create editable regions with content alone (minus divs).  It seems that cs5 won't allow this somehow.  I do this so that my clients won't move the div and can highlight the text that they want to change without screwing up the placement of the divs or having to click on it several times in Contribute in order to highlight the text.

Example: (This one works)

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="LeftContent" -->
               <div id="contentLeft">
                    <table width="100%" border="0" align="left" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" background="images/transBack.png">
                    <tr><td>
                      <h1>Heading Goes Here</h1>
                      <p>Lorem ipsum eum erant soleat perfecto ex, ei pro mentitum aliquando theophrastus. Quodsi lucilius adolescens nec te, alia melius dissentias id eum, eu vel atqui munere eligendi. Eu eum viris suscipit, mei iracundia persequeris necessitatibus ad, qui putent vocent comprehensam ea. Eos sumo illud fuisset ea, sit doming dolorum fierent ea. Vis rebum aperiri nonummy at, ne eam impedit persequeris accommodare.</p>
                      <p>An dico veritus evertitur cum, mentitum legendos theophrastus mei ei, qui hinc timeam honestatis ad. Ut illum takimata gloriatur eam, ei nullam propriae delicata vel, has ea solum ludus. Pro solum ridens inciderint ad, te ius vocent perfecto, partiendo scripserit reformidans cum te. No fastidii scaevola maiestatis mei, percipit praesent abhorreant eam no. Ea vim nobis dolore ignota, quodsi inciderint ei vel. Velit dicam te cum, te inermis principes percipitur per, animal constituam his an.</p>
                      </td></tr>
                      </table>
                      </div>
                  <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

(This one doesn't)

<div id="contentLeft">

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="LeftContent" -->
                    <table width="100%" border="0" align="left" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" background="images/transBack.png">
                    <tr><td>
                      <h1>Heading Goes Here</h1>
                      <p>Lorem ipsum eum erant soleat perfecto ex, ei pro mentitum aliquando theophrastus. Quodsi lucilius adolescens nec te, alia melius dissentias id eum, eu vel atqui munere eligendi. Eu eum viris suscipit, mei iracundia persequeris necessitatibus ad, qui putent vocent comprehensam ea. Eos sumo illud fuisset ea, sit doming dolorum fierent ea. Vis rebum aperiri nonummy at, ne eam impedit persequeris accommodare.</p>
                      <p>An dico veritus evertitur cum, mentitum legendos theophrastus mei ei, qui hinc timeam honestatis ad. Ut illum takimata gloriatur eam, ei nullam propriae delicata vel, has ea solum ludus. Pro solum ridens inciderint ad, te ius vocent perfecto, partiendo scripserit reformidans cum te. No fastidii scaevola maiestatis mei, percipit praesent abhorreant eam no. Ea vim nobis dolore ignota, quodsi inciderint ei vel. Velit dicam te cum, te inermis principes percipitur per, animal constituam his an.</p>
                      </td></tr>
                      </table>

<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
                      </div>

Anyone else have this?  Or even use this?

Message was edited by: JulesN

• 3. Re: Template problem with cs5
              Super Dave Level 1

I am having the exact same issue.  Attempting the change you suggested now to see if this corrects my problem..

• 4. Re: Template problem with cs5
                JulesN Level 2

I still want the old way back because if I have my clients use Contribute, they can easily highlight the text.  If the div tag is selected in the template, then they have to click on the text several times to select it.  If you find out or if anyone out there has a suggestion... would love it!  I think I might report it to Adobe as a bug.

• 5. Re: Template problem with cs5
                  Super Dave Level 1

I agree!  I'm currently attempting to update a site I took over a few years ago.  The main page is wrapped inside of a "container" div which is in the non-editable region... and no matter what I've attempted.. not working.  I may have to play with the primary container to get this functioning again.. def something Adobe needs to hear about .. at least make it backward compatible for a while and let us all transition over... etc...

• 6. Re: Template problem with cs5
                    Super Dave Level 1

I just reported a bug to Adobe.  You have the work around for more simple DIV structures, but Adobe cannot possibly expect us to modify sites that have hundreds of DIV statements. And as for a very complex nested DIV structure as I have here, this solution does not fix the problem, only creates more.  As well, it it were not a bug, the code view window would not function unless the div was properly placed as well.

• 7. Re: Template problem with cs5
                      JulesN Level 2

You're right.  I started using templates back in cs3... could have even been a lot earlier than that.  I shouldn't have to change this, and it's one thing that I love about building templates that clients can use in Contribute without screwing around with displacing the divs that I have created.  My clients will ultimately be pissed off at ME, no one else. Things are supposed to improve over the years, not go backwards.

You're also right about it being a bug if it shows up in one view and not the other.  I have also reported it as a bug.

• 8. Re: Template problem with cs5
                        JulesN Level 2

I think that I may be onto something!  I use css overflow:auto in a lot of my templates.  I discovered that the templates that didn't use that css didn't lock me out in design view, so just by chance, I commented out overflow:auto, and Bob's your Uncle!  It worked.  I have just been on the phone for an hour with Adobe, got off the phone and tried this out.  I still think it needs fixing, but at least it's working with a simple deactivation of a line of css.  Hopefully, this helps anyone else that builds their templates this way!!!

• 9. Re: Template problem with cs5
                          Super Dave Level 1

PERFECT! The solution worked even with my container DIVs.  Thanks for sharing and agree.. needs to be fixed.  Did Adobe seem as though it was a known issue?

• 10. Re: Template problem with cs5
                            JulesN Level 2

They have sent it in as an issue.  They were extremely happy that I phoned back to tell them what solved the problem. They agreed that a css statement should not cause an issue like that.  Hopefully it is something they can work out fast.  It's OK to have to do that, but it's certainly a pain in the arse!  LOL

• 11. Re: Template problem with cs5
                              markburgessstl Level 1

Just wanted to add a "me too"... I had an overflow:hidden in my CSS.  Commenting it our solved the problem of not being able to edit.

• 12. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                JulesN Level 2

Using CS5, they have a new feature that lets you disable the css temporarily.  Saves loads of time commenting out the css.  Find it in the CSS menu and just click on the left side of the overflow rule.  There will be a red circle with diagonal cross.  Sooo much easier than trying to comment out, especially if you have lots of css on one page or several pages of css.

Thought I'd let you know in case you didn't know about this new feature.

• 13. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                  JulesN Level 2

Comment out or disable your overflow in css.  I've sent in a bug report, already.

• 14. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                    Efdewa Level 1

It is 3 months after you reported this problem and it still seems to be unsolved by Adobe. I just installed the last update and the problem is still there. I work with Dw since version 3 and this is the first time I keep going back to a previous version. First Dw CS5 kept crashing, this seems solved, but still when I quit the program I get an error. I can live with that but not with this template/CSS issue. Do you still need to turn of the overflow: hidden?

• 15. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                      JulesN Level 2

Yes, I am still having to turn off overflow:auto in css!  And yes, it still annoys me.  Would love to have that solved.  I have phoned and reported it, and I have reported via online.  I also know someone else reported it via online.

Maybe it's time to re-report it! 

Still a huge Adobe fan, though!

Never had any crashes of ANY of my Adobe products, yet!  (Working on Windows 7 - 8Gb ram)

• 16. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                        Efdewa Level 1

Yes, I already have send a bug report.

Hope they will follow this up soon. More 'funny' things occur while working with Dw CS5 but I cannot get into all of them, so I keep going back to CS4 instead. Not good.

• 17. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                          Efdewa Level 1

And like you, I never had this before with Adobe products.

• 18. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                            Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee
                                            Yes, I am still having to turn off overflow:auto in css!  And yes, it still annoys me.

The work around for that problem is to create a .css file with this rule:

* {

overflow: visible !important;

}

And apply the style sheet as a Design-time Style Sheet.

Note that this will always disable all overflow properties on your page. You can be more selective, if desired. Using the example from above:

#contentLeft {

overflow: visible !important;

}

Hope this helps,

Randy

1 person found this helpful
                                            • 19. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                              JulesN Level 2

I've got to admit, that's a better fix than constantly turning the css on and off, but it's still an extra step that I never had to do before.

• 20. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                Efdewa Level 1

Sorry, this is still not workable for me, too much a hassle turning it on and off (surely I will forget the off-part). I rather go back to CS4. Are you guys going to update this bug or what is the story behind this?

• 21. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                  Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

Sorry, this is still not workable for me, too much a hassle turning it on and off (surely I will forget the off-part). I rather go back to CS4.

This handling of overflow elements goes back a few releases, so I believe it works the same in CS4. Maybe you are seeing a different problem.

You don't need to turn off Design-time Style Sheets (DTSS). I also forgot to mention that if you apply the DTSS to the Template, then it will automatically get applied to pages that are generated from that Template (even if you apply it to the Template after the page has already been generated), so you don't need to apply it to each page.

Regards,

Randy

• 22. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                    Efdewa Level 1

Thanx, I wasn't familiar with DTSS, that indeed should solve the problem. But the issue doesn't appear in CS4: same site in CS4 doesn't have the problem.

• 23. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                      JulesN Level 2

Bella is completely right... this issue is only since CS5.  Using design time style sheets is a great idea as you DON'T have to turn them off at all!  However, that being said, my clients pay me by the hour, and it's one extra thing I will have to charge for.  If they fix the problem, I won't have to deal with dtss at all.

• 24. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                        Efdewa Level 1

I understand it is on the list at Adobe of bugs to be solved. I have made a DTSS and it it is a great solution. Just a pity it is necessary to make one at all :-). If you make one, take care to do it right so that the link won't be written in the source. The correct way to do it is described in Help.

• 25. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                          tam4307 Level 1

Please add me in as one more person experience this problem. I have been waiting on an Adobe fix for it but nothing yet. Thanks to the forum people for putting up a work around. I don't know how long it would have taken me to figure that out. I have been working in code view on my sites with this issue and am glad to not be forced to do that. Some things I am just more comfortable with in design view.

Tammie

• 26. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                            dledet1 Level 1

Hi,

I'm having problem as well in CS5 where the overflow:auto doesn't allow for editing with the editable regions of the DW template. However, is there a substitute for overflow:auto? It appears that, in my case, it's necessary for design purposes and cannot be commented out.

Has anyone found a workaround solution for overflow:auto working with the editable region of the template? Thanks for the discussion!

• 27. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                              Efdewa Level 1

Did you try the Design Time Style Sheet as described above, this way you don't need to comment out the overflow.

• 28. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                                dledet1 Level 1

That worked. Thank you!

• 29. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                                  mufobarinus Level 1

Right after updating to CS5 (yes I'm a late updater) I ran into this issue with the very first thing I ever did in Dreamweaver CS5.

As a workaround, okay, Design time stylesheets work.

But the bug should still be fixed. I've been using Dreamweaver ever since Version 2. Apart from other things it's supposed to be a tool that offers controlled visual web editing via templates and editable areas. In the past that worked (at whatever level the software and web techniques where) with code as is, just add your editable areas to the template.

Now it's a tool that can offer visual editing if you add a special stylesheet to your sites. It didn't need that before and it's just one more step that's unnecessary. Technically  it's a minor gremlin but the effect on usability is terrible. How are you going to explain this to the kind of user who uses dreamweaver and types into editable areas precisely because he doesn't want to deal with the insides of the HTML code and relies on his web guy to set up the templates so that he as an editor can't break anything. Not good at all.

Christian

• 30. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                                    Efdewa Level 1

I totally agree!!!

Besides this bug there are two more I have to deal with (on Mac):

1. After a click on a style in panel Styles all the styles disappear
                                                                    2. Panel Files always opens blank after opening Dw

Nr. 2 is not new in CS5, hope the other ones mentioned will not be staying as well.

• 31. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                                      JulesN Level 2

The panels opening blank happened to me.  I repaired permissions on my Mac and renamed my Configuration file configurationOld, so that it rebuilt the configuration file, and it hasn't happened since.  Maybe if you do that, it might fix what's happening with your styles as well.

Really hope that works for you!

Jules

• 32. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                                        tam4307 Level 1

I am shocked that after this many months they haven't fixed the issue. I am not sure how they plan on keeping brand loyalty when we who buy the product feel like they could care less if we are satisfied with it.

Tammie O'Neal

• 33. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                                          JulesN Level 2

Maybe no one reports it.  I sent in a bug report in the beginning of cs5.  I know there was someone else that sent in a report, but 2 people may not be enough!  If everyone who hates this sends in a bug report, maybe they would look into it!  One or two voices may not be heard, but several might!

Jules

• 34. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                                            Efdewa Level 1

Yes, Jules, that indeed is the solution, no more blank panels, very happy with this, thanks!!!

Cheers,

Frances

• 35. Re: Template problem with cs5
                                                                              JulesN Level 2

Someone at Adobe listened!!!  DW CS5.5 works the way it used to!  YAY!  Soooo happy about that!