6 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 7:40 AM by LMG079

Using illustrator for technical documents, heavy text

LMG079

Hi,

First, apologies for the total noob question. I'm sort of at a loss.

A technical writing instructor recommended Illustrator to me for creating all of the technical documentation for my company.  Essentially we have documentation in many forms, but mostly already on our website. I'm trying to migrate this material, mostly text, from the site and into an Illustrator document (essentially copying and pasting, formatting later).  Well, I am sure I don't have to tell anyone here, but it's a struggle to get text into an artboard, muchless to the point where it's easy to manipulate.

Can anyone point me in a better direction? I have a lot of books, and have been googling all day, but so far I'm not having any success.  I feel like I should be able to figure this out.

Did we buy the wrong software for the job?

My sincere thanks for what I can only assume is a somewhat irritating post.

• 1. Re: Using illustrator for technical documents, heavy text
          Userbak610 Level 3

Personally I think you may find InDesign the better program for the job. You might want to give the trial a go to see if it does what you need better.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using illustrator for technical documents, heavy text
            LMG079 Level 1

Thank you. I was definitely afraid of that. It is my own fault for trusting the instructor's recommendation.

I may not have the option to buy more software right now, so if there are any other suggestions for using Illustrator, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, again.

• 3. Re: Using illustrator for technical documents, heavy text
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Thsi what you want to do.

Select the text tool

Drag it in the document window on any artboard and make a text frame, you hold the mouse down as you drag.

When the frame is big enough let the mouse up

click in the text frame with the text tool to make sure the text cursor is active.

Now paste.

If you have several text frames on several artboards you can just keep adding text and it will flow t the other text frames.

Yu do this by threading the frames by selecting them and go to Type>Thread text and paste or type away.

You can make character and paragraph styles as well to help you apply formatting with a click

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Using illustrator for technical documents, heavy text
                LMG079 Level 1

Thank you! The threading is the portion I didn't know about or try yet, so maybe that's the missing link here.  Thank you, again!

P.S. I also downloaded the free trial of InDesign. What the heck... can't get any worse.

Thanks for the understanding help here!

• 5. Re: Using illustrator for technical documents, heavy text
                  JETalmage-71mYin Level 3
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Did we buy the wrong software for the job?

For text-intensive documents of more than a few pages length, yes.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Essentially we have documentation in many forms, but mostly already on our website.

LM, this doesn't help. What does that mean? What "forms"? When you say most are "already on our website" do you mean they are merely posted as downloadable links, or are the web pages themselves the documents?

For anyone to advise you correctly, they would need to know what kind of content you are dealing with. Instead of creating guessing games, can you post a link to the website?

For example: Did you know that Adobe Acrobat Pro can automate the creation of PDFs directly from a web site, including functioning links?

JET

• 6. Re: Using illustrator for technical documents, heavy text
                    LMG079 Level 1

It wasn't my intention to "create guessing games." My apologies. The forms I refer to as being on our website are on the company intranet, so I cannot link to them. I can appreciate your wish for more detail. I will do better next time. Thanks for your suggestions!