• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I import Eclipse Help project/pages?

May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Eclipse Help project with about 100 html topic pages that I created in Eclipse and organized in various folders. However, the editor in Eclipse that I am using is not very advanced and it's quite tedious to manage the help project and cannot easily create other help formats. I want to try RoboHelp 8 as the authoring environment and have it output Eclipse Help (which I hear it can do).

However, I can't find a way to easily import my existing Eclipse Help pages and folder structure. Is there a way to do this without breaking anything (like images or css) or having to go to each page and do some fixing up?

Ideally, I would like some kind of two-way transfer so I can share the project with others on my team using Eclipse to edit the topics; but I realize that may be too much to ask for.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You will have to recreate the folders within RoboHelp first. Then when you browse to your existing folders, you can import all the topics in a folder in one go.

RoboHelp's features like any other HAT require it to add its own code in the source files which is permitted by W3C standards, such code is known as processing instructions and covers things like conditional build tags. Such code will of course be meaningless to other editors so sharing that with other tools is not likely to work too well.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thank you for your reply.

I went ahead and re-created the folder structure and imported the topic pages into each folder. This part seems to work fine. However, I have a few issues:

1) When I double-click on the topic pages they open in Notepad rather than the built-in editor. If I right-click on a topic and choose Edit With Design View, that works, but is quite tedious to do for every page. I also notice that if I make a change to the page in design view and save it, from then on it opens in Design View.

I see that the files that open in Design View have the following markup added:

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 8" />

Is there a way to have these .html pages always open in Design View by default, at least for this project?

2) I used the instructions here to create Eclipse Help: http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2009/12/how_to_generate_eclipse_help_from_robohelp.html

When I bring up the pages in Eclipse, the ones that I edited using the Design View seem OK (so far), however the ones that were imported from original Eclipse Help format now show this error when I try to view them:

An error occured while processing the requested document:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.help.internal.dynamic.DocumentReader.read(DocumentReader.java:56)
at org.eclipse.help.internal.dynamic.XMLProcessor.process(XMLProcessor.java:49)
at org.eclipse.help.internal.xhtml.DynamicXHTMLProcessor.process(DynamicXHTMLProcessor.java:66)
at org.eclipse.help.internal.webapp.servlet.DynamicXHTMLFilter$1.close(DynamicXHTMLFilter.java:81)
at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.help.internal.webapp.servlet.FilterHTMLHeadAndBodyOutputStream.close(FilterHTMLHeadAndBodyOutputStream.java:311)

Any idea why I am getting this error? I am using the EclipseHelp.jsx that came with RoboHelp 8.0.0.203 (incidentally, the "latest" script file pointed to in the link above actually has an older copyright date so it would not seem that it's the latest). Would solving #1 solve this issue?

3) I set a default topic for my books, which works fine in Web Help. But when I try to view the book in Eclipse, it displays a Contents list instead of the default topic.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the editor bit, add the meta tag using a multi-file find and replace tool. Then see what issues you still have.

I cannot help you with Eclipse help but there is an Eclipse forum on Yahoo.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2010 Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An error occured while processing the requested document:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.help.internal.dynamic.DocumentReader.read(DocumentReader.java:56)
at org.eclipse.help.internal.dynamic.XMLProcessor.process(XMLProcessor.java:49)
at org.eclipse.help.internal.xhtml.DynamicXHTMLProcessor.process(DynamicXHTMLProce ssor.java:66)
at org.eclipse.help.internal.webapp.servlet.DynamicXHTMLFilter$1.close(DynamicXHTM LFilter.java:81)

This exception occurs for me if the following criteria are met

- XHTML document type

- UTF-8 is specified in meta http-equiv="Content-Type"

- BOM (byte order mark) 0xFEFF is present in the beginning of the file

Eclipse tries to perform some post-processing for XHTML files, but the XML parser fails on BOM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been using the EclipseHelp.jsx script to generate my Eclipse help for a long time. All of a sudden, when I try to run the script, I get an error telling me "XML error in line 1 - Not well-formed (invalid token)".

Any ideas??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp