6 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 9:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Edit M2V File in Premiere Pro CS5

thunderclap82 Level 1

I come from a Final Cut Pro background andam new to Premiere so please forgive me if this is simple.

I'm trying to edit an M2V file from a DVD without re-encoding into DV or some other format.  Someone told me this was possible, yet I can't figure out how to do it.  Any time I add the M2V it goes into a pending state presumably for encoding into the sequence setting: DV.

Is there a way to edit M2V without re-encoding in some othe format?  If so, how?

• 1. Re: Edit M2V File in Premiere Pro CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          M2V file from a DVD

DVD contains .VOB files, not M2V.

If you are talking trial version, NO. You should have read the limitations on the download page.

• 2. Re: Edit M2V File in Premiere Pro CS5
            platduck Level 1

Hi,

As far as I'm awere the .VOB (which stands for video object) is basically just a wrapper for mpeg 2 video and either PCM, Mpeg 2, or AC3 audio muxed together.

So if you were to take that .VOB file and demux it, you will end up with a .M2V (which stands for Mpeg 2 Video) file and a seperate audio file.

So it is in fact possible to get a .M2V file from a DVD. At the end of the day wether the extension is .M2V or . MPG or .MPEG or even .VOB it is still the same thing namely MPEG 2 video.

I have edited mpeg2 video in premiere many times, but not without having to wait for Premiere to comform/encode/do whatever to the files.

In my experience you will have a much smoother editing process by converting that file to a DV or an uncompressed AVI file before taking it into PPro.

Hope that helps.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Edit M2V File in Premiere Pro CS5
              Harm Millaard Level 7

VOB's can contain more than just the MPEG part (subtitles, angles, different audio tracks, etc.), but since 4.2.1 VOB's can be directly imported if they meet the DVD specs without the need for demuxing and/or converting.

• 4. Re: Edit M2V File in Premiere Pro CS5
                thunderclap82 Level 1

I find it interesting the Premiere Pro can edit VOB's natively, yet if you demux the VOB to get the M2V file within it has to re-encode.  But putting the VOB in the timeline works fine.  Thanks for the help Harm.

• 5. Re: Edit M2V File in Premiere Pro CS5
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some background on VOB's.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Edit M2V File in Premiere Pro CS5
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    since 4.2.1 VOB's can be directly imported if they meet the DVD specs without the need for demuxing and/or converting.

Harm is absolutely correct here. The only thing that I would change is the formatting on on "if they meet the DVD-specs." This is very important. If the DVD was authored with a program like Encore, they will be 100% DVD-compliant. From others, or from something like a DVR, the chances of that compliance goes way down and quickly. To the naked eye, everything looks to be the same. The VIDEO_TS folder has the same files, and the big ones are all VOB's (Video Object files), but it is what is inside those, especially the first VOB, that makes all the difference in the world. Usually, the Menus and navigation from the other programs, or machines, will mess things up badly. As the AV material (the MPEG-2) can, and usually does, span several VOB's, getting to that material and then assembling the spanned files, can be the trick. As per Harm's mention, when done correctly, PrPro CS4.1, or above, can do this for you.

Good luck,

Hunt