10 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 9:51 PM by Zion Zevi

Import 5.1 sound tracks

Zion Zevi Level 1

Hello

I have used Premier Elements for the last years and I want to make the next step to Premier Pro cs5

I have SONY HDR-XR500V which records in 5.1 sound format (MTS file)

will the CS5 imports all the sound tracks and  put them in order in the timeline?

I used to work sometimes with Sony Vegas and it does it automatically.

I prefer to work with Adobe which is much easier and intuitive.

Thanks

Zion

• 1. Re: Import 5.1 sound tracks
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Zion,

PrPro will handle your DD 5.1 SS just fine. I would do the Sequence with a 5.1 Audio Track.

Now, if you wish to Export to DD 5.1 SS, you will need to purchase the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in. If you do, do it from within PrPro, as you WILL save $, over buying it from the Minnetonka Web site.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Import 5.1 sound tracks
            Zion Zevi Level 1

Thanks Hunt for the quick replay

I want to understand it right,

when I import my file to a sequence that was defined as 5.1 each track from my camcorder will find its place in the timeline according its original source?

or in other wards will i see the timeline diveded to 4 sound tracks, Front, Center, LFE & Rear? 

Thanks again

Zion.

• 3. Re: Import 5.1 sound tracks
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Zion,

Depending on the audio signal produced by your camera, you should have only the one file showing in your Timeline's Audio Track. The little icon in the Track Header should show 5.1, rather than the single speaker for 1-channel, or two speakers for 2-channel. In Audio Mixer, you will have the Levels display for all of the included channels.

Now, there could be instances where the multi-channel signals would be in discrete streams. This allows for more control of each stream. This would be what you would get, if you Imported your Audio into Audition in a Multi-channel Edit. This would be most common for situations where one had, say a WMA multi-channel source file. I do not know of any cameras that natively do things this way.

Now, even though you have Imported DD 5.1 SS, you will ONLY be able to Export as 2-channel (Stereo), unless you have the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder plug-in. Remember, if you buy this (and I recommend that anyone wishing to do DD 5.1 SS do so), do it from within PrPro, accessed from the Export dialog screens, rather than from the Minnetonka Audio Web site, as they offer PrPro users a discount of about US$ 50.

If you are going to Export DD 5.1 SS Audio (via the SurCode plug-in), you will want to do two things: Setup your Project/Sequence with a 5.1 Master, and also include at least one 5.1 Audio Track in the Sequence. Note: if you have the Master setup properly, PrPro will actually create the 5.1 Audio Track for you, if you just drag the Clip to the lower part of the Master - poof! new 5.1 Audio Track. I like to set up my Sequences per what I will be using.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Import 5.1 sound tracks
                Zion Zevi Level 1

Hi Hunt

Thanks again

So actually I'm going to see just one track.

It is strange, In the Sony Vegas when you import you automaticly see all the sound tracks in the timeline.

Is there a way to do it in CS5?

Thanks

Zion

• 5. Re: Import 5.1 sound tracks
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Zion,

That is probably what you will see, though if the streams are bundled in a format, like WMA, you may get discrete streams/Clips, like you would, if you were to Import a WMA into Audition.

I have no way to test the footage from that camera, so cannot comment on exactly what you will get.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Import 5.1 sound tracks
                    Zion Zevi Level 1

Thanks

I will update what I'm getting

Thanks

Zion

• 7. Re: Import 5.1 sound tracks
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and please do. Though I do a lot of DD 5.1 SS, I seldom am working with a DD 5.1 SS source, but actually creating a faux 5.1 in post. I will likely learn something myself!

Hunt

• 8. Re: Import 5.1 sound tracks
                        Zion Zevi Level 1

Hi

As you have mentioned

I see all the 5.1 channels (actually six of them : L,R,LS,RS,C,LFE)  inside one sound  track, but the audio mixer force to control them all together only.

how to separate them and deal with each one alone?

Thanks Again

Zion

• 9. Re: Import 5.1 sound tracks
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For that level of post-production manipulation, you will want to Export that single Track (Mute the rest and Export Audio Only, no Multiplexing) as a WMA. Import that WMA into Audition in Multi-track Mode. You will get the six discrete streams. There, you can manipulate all you wish. From there, I would then Export as six discrete PCM/WAV files, and Import those into PrPro for your final production.

That is basically what I do, when going to DTS as a supplemental Audio stream on my DVD's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Import 5.1 sound tracks
                            Zion Zevi Level 1

Hi

OK

It works, a little bit long process but finally i have 6 different sound tracks to play with in the timeline.

So thanks again

Zion