4 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 4:11 AM by hans-g.

How To Get A Font Type That Is Not Available In Dreamweaver

blakers81 Level 1

I am making a website for someone and they asked me that all the writing be in Goudy Oldstyle.  But, when I choose to edit Font Family and scroll down the list to choose it, there is no Goudy Oldstyle available.  There has to be a way to somehow get it.  Anyone know?

• 1. Re: How To Get A Font Type That Is Not Available In Dreamweaver
          markerline Level 4

Most computers that will be viewing the website will not have Goudy Old Style installed on them so the viewer will not be able to see your page as it was intended unless you embed the font/logo in a bitmap such as a GIF or JPG or subscribe to a service that allows any font to be able to be viewed as intended if the user enables a plugin.  Check fonts.com for their service called web fonts or check Fontlab for their web-font setup.  Fontlab is a website which sells a software, Fontlab and Fontographer, to create fonts from outlines in Adobe Illustrator or natively within the software by clicking points as in a vector program.  Fontlab also has a piece of software which allows custom fonts to be embedded in a webpage such as Adobe Flash does with its fonts or Adobe Acrobat does with its fonts for Adobe Reader PDF files.

• 2. Re: How To Get A Font Type That Is Not Available In Dreamweaver
            hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

first you have to install a new font under Windows. If you don't have the one you need, Google will help. After that you can go to install it in DW (from German DW):

Text --> edit font list (see arrow)

drss.jpg

after that you will see:

drs.jpg

Click the font (which has to be on your computer) you want to install.

Hans-G.

• 3. Re: How To Get A Font Type That Is Not Available In Dreamweaver
              markerline Level 4

The OP needs to have a font installed that a user viewing his/her website will be able to view.  Just installing the font in Dreamweaver will only make the change available on his/her system.  But what if I want to view the website from the http server?  My computer will display an alternate font besides Goudy Old Style.  The best thing to do is to follow the instructions I outlined above or use one of the generic font styles or popular font styles that are typical of web coding:  sans-serif, serif, fantasy, monospace, and the last one which I can't remember (I think it's script).

-markerline

• 4. Re: How To Get A Font Type That Is Not Available In Dreamweaver
                hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

in addition: either you download and implant this font for/in your DW here for example:

http://www.fontyukle.com/en/Goudy-Old-Style.ttf,

or you look for an alternive font here:

http://www.niels-kolditz.de/Lexikon/Alias.htm

Hans-G.

P.S.

Naturally I accept markerline's objections and suggestions, balance pros and cons!