17 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 1:28 PM by nealeh

Import to Timelime

1Sorcerer2

I'm using Prem7 with Win 7. Everything has worked fine until my recently purchased HD camera (Panasonic TM700 - absolutely brilliant!!). The new camera records to SD card which I plug into PC and download the FullHD video files (.MTS files)

When I try to move files over to the timelime they will not go into Audio 1, Video 1 tracks. If I try to import to the SceneLine it goes into the first block but none further . If I bring over a number of files Prem7 puts each one into a higher and higher track number.

There is a gray bar which stops me dragging down to Video 1 track. If I select just one Video, one audio track in Preferences the grey bar dissapears only to return as soon as I go near it with a file.

Have I inadvertently set something wrong? Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Import to Timelime
          nealeh Level 5

What PRE project setting are you using? What picture and sound settings are you recording your camcorder?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Import to Timelime
            1Sorcerer2 Level 1

Hi Neale,

Thanks for your response.

I have the prel set to the first option;  PAL-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 25.

The camera has five HD modes with differing compressions, 1x1920x1080p + 4x1920x1080i, ranging from 28Mbps down to 5 Mbps.

They all seem to work well in Prem7. In fact I am having difficulty seeming much difference (apart from file sizes!) between the highest and lowest bandwidths.

I am not sure about the audio. I have searched the spec sheets and the 151 page manual from end to end and nowhere does it say whether it is 44 or 48 Khz or whatever.  However it works OK! It is Dolby 5.1

I've pretty impressed with Prem7, apart from the timeline difficulty. It seems to work as well with HD as it does with DV.

I have managed to edit some 20 test shots together and burn the Blu-ray and I am amazed by the quality of the result.

If you can suggest a cure to the editing 'funny' I would be a very happy bunny

• 3. Re: Import to Timelime
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you choose the AVCHD w/ DD 5.1 SS Preset?

The behavior that you describe in Sceneline View Mode would indicate that you did not.

In Timeline View Mode, you will probably need to scroll the Timeline vertically, as the Audio should go to about Audio Track 4 or 5 (cannot recall the initial, default Track count, but PrE needs to create a new 5.1 SS Track for the 5.1 material. With the proper Preset, that will be created as Audio Track 1 and things go much more smoothly.

Also, the Audio must be Conformed, basically converting it to 32-bit floating point for editing, and the generation of the PEK file for Waveform Display. This can take some time, and is done at Import. There is a blue progress bar at the lower-right of the GUI. You must let this complete for every Clip that you Import. I just go and get a cup of coffee, and when I come back, all is done.

Good luck, and I hope that the DD 5.1 SS selection in the Preset (plus Conforming) allows you to get to editing.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Import to Timelime
                1Sorcerer2 Level 1

Dear Bill,

The 'Sound' part of the preset I am using simply says 48000 samples per second - No mention of DD 5.1. However, as you say, initial Timeline insertion goes to Audio 4 and it has a tiny text 5.1 after the Text Audio 4.

If I highlight all my tracks with shift/click and then drag and drop onto sceneline there is a 20'ish second pause then the first frame appears in the first Sceneline block. (The second one is empty still.) Switching to Timeline reveals all the clips in place in a row in Audio/Video 4.

I am puzzled by the 'Conformed' bit of your reply. I do not seem to have to wait and I do not see a blue progress bar anywhere!

I think it's me that needs to go and make a cup of coffee.

All the best

Colin

• 5. Re: Import to Timelime
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

I do not have PrE 7, so cannot test, but I thought that with the AVCHD Presets, there was an additional one for the DD 5.1 SS Audio. Maybe Neale can confirm, or correct me on that. He can also point you to the exact Preset from the dialog screen.

One can still edit with DD 5.1 SS source Audio, but doing so in Sceneline View Mode is a real challenge. Most users have to resort to Timeline View only. Also, depending on how one has their Project's Tracks populated, they can Delete Unused Tracks to move Audio 4 up closer to Video 1, though due to the layout of the GUI in PrE, you cannot get things as neat, as if you do a Project with a DD 5.1 SS Audio Track to pair with Video Track 1.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Import to Timelime
                    nealeh Level 5

This is the one:

sound.png

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Import to Timelime
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thanks for that. I need to get PrE 7 (and 8), just so I do not have to rely on you to save my behind on these newer programs.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Import to Timelime
                        1Sorcerer2 Level 1

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for your patience!  I have changed to Neale's suggested preset and it now imports solidly into Audio/Video 2.

The Sceneline is inoperative with just one box with a scene displayed. This is no matter because I do not use it.

I still cannot get down to Audio/Video 1 but I can live with that. Everything else seems to work OK.

Thanks again

Colin

• 9. Re: Import to Timelime
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Glad that Neale was able to point you to the correct Preset.

I still cannot get down to Audio/Video 1 but I can live with that.

Do you mean that you cannot get the Clip to go to Audio & Video Track 1, or that there is something else going on?

If you are looking into moving the Clips to Audio & Video Track 1, try this test:

Alt-click on just the Video in your Clip. Drag that Video to Video Track 1. Does this work?

Now, Alt-click on just the Audio, still in Audio Track 2, and drag it to Audio Track 1. Does this work? Probably not.

PrE creates Audio Track "types" per the default layout. Audio will ONLY go onto appropriate Audio Tracks, i.e. mono onto 1-channel Tracks, stereo onto 2-channel Tracks and 5.1 onto multi-channel (5.1) Tracks. If Audio Track 1 is 2-channel, you cannot place either 1-channel, or multi-channel Clips onto it.

In PrPro, there is a little "speaker" icon that signifies the channel-count of each Audio Track, but I do not know if PrE 8 shows that, or a similar icon. In PrPro, it is in the upper-right of the Track Header, where the name, and Keyframe display toggle is located.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - also remember that there is a little vertical scroll bar to the right of the Timeline, and depending on one's display, the Timeline might have to be scrolled vertically to see particular Tracks.

• 10. Re: Import to Timelime
                            1Sorcerer2 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Very Interesting!!

I can Alt drag Video down from Video 2 to 1

If I try the same with the Audio it does not work. As soon as I let go the mouse button the Audio clip jumps up to Audio 3.

(It creates an Audio 3 for itself if there is only Audio 1 and 2)

I notice that the Audio tracks 2 upwards have a little 5.1 against them but Audio 1 does not.

Closer Inspection reveals that Audio Tracks 2 upwards have a little Black 5.1 against each PLUS, in faint Grey,  L,R,LS,RS,C,LFE.

Audio 1 has nothing, No Black and no Grey.

I presume Audio 1 needs changing to be 5.1 but nothing I've right clicked on so far allows me to do this.

I'm using Pre7. I have the little speaker Icons but clicking just changes the way that the audio clip is displayed.

All the best

Colin

• 11. Re: Import to Timelime
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

It appears that Audio 1 is probably stereo (2-channel).

I would have thought that if one used a DD 5.1 SS Preset, that Audio 1 would be created as 5.1, but could be totally wrong. As I only have PrE 4, I cannot even check this for you. Maybe Neale can provide exact details of how a Project is created, when the DD 5.1 SS Preset is chosen.

Also, it does not make any difference which Audio Track your Clips are on, so long as they are on one that matches the Audio.

PrE has a way to Delete Unused Tracks in the Project. This will NOT affect the Soundtrack, or the Narration Audio Tracks, as they are fixed. I also do not know if it will Delete Audio Track 1. PrE manages and displays the Audio & Video Tracks differently, than in PrPro (my normal NLE), so there are limitations on what can and will be Deleted. Again, someone with PrE 7 will need to check and report.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Import to Timelime
                                nealeh Level 5

Creating an empty AVCHD 5.1 project shows the 5.1 marker against Audio 1, 2, and 3. Not having any AVCHD footage I cannot test further and I've not (yet!) found any on the web with 5.1 sound. If, Colin, you can put a short clip (less than 50MB please - my Internet connection is slowwww.....) up on the Internet I'll try it out.

Fixed tracks are Video 1, Audio 1, Narration, Soundtrack

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: Import to Timelime
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you for the report. It helps in my understanding of the AVCHD 5.1 Preset too.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Import to Timelime
                                    1Sorcerer2 Level 1

Hi Neale,

I'll put some HD video up over the weekend, right now housework wins in the priority stakes!!

Colin

• 15. Re: Import to Timelime
                                      1Sorcerer2 Level 1

Hi Neale,

Please give me a call

Colin

• 16. Re: Import to Timelime
                                        nealeh Level 5

I'd advise not to post your phone number. I've replied to an earlier message so that you can still edit your last to remove phone number.

Most sure way to give me the urls, without a typo risk at my end, is to click on nealeh and then, from actions, select 'Send Private Message'.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: Import to Timelime
                                          nealeh Level 5

Colin,

With a Project Preset of AVCHD Full HD 1080i 25 5.1 channel your clips all load to Video 1 / Audio 1. They are redlined and needed rendering for preview.

With a Project Preset of AVCHD Full HD 1080i 25 your clips display all the track jumping symptoms you previously described.

GSpot didn't know what to make of your clips, but MediaInfo recognises them for what they are - High Def, 6-Channel sound.

From MediaInfo

General
                                          ID                               : 1
                                          Complete name                    : I:\Users\Neale\Desktop\TRAIN.MTS
                                          Format                           : BDAV
                                          Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video
                                          File size                        : 37.1 MiB
                                          Duration                         : 24s 434ms
                                          Overall bit rate                 : 12.7 Mbps
                                          Maximum Overall bit rate         : 18.0 Mbps

Video
                                          ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)
                                          Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
                                          Format                           : AVC
                                          Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
                                          Format profile                   : High@L4.0
                                          Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
                                          Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
                                          Format settings, GOP             : M=1, N=24
                                          Duration                         : 24s 320ms
                                          Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                                          Bit rate                         : 11.8 Mbps
                                          Maximum bit rate                 : 16.8 Mbps
                                          Width                            : 1 920 pixels
                                          Height                           : 1 080 pixels
                                          Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                                          Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
                                          Color space                      : YUV
                                          Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
                                          Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                                          Scan type                        : Interlaced
                                          Scan order                       : Top Field First
                                          Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.228
                                          Stream size                      : 34.3 MiB (92%)

Audio
                                          ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
                                          Format                           : AC-3
                                          Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
                                          Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
                                          Duration                         : 24s 480ms
                                          Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                                          Bit rate                         : 384 Kbps
                                          Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
                                          Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
                                          Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                                          Video delay                      : -80ms
                                          Stream size                      : 1.12 MiB (3%)

Text
                                          ID                               : 4608 (0x1200)
                                          Format                           : PGS
                                          Duration                         : 23s 936ms
                                          Video delay                      : -80ms

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale