4 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 3:22 PM by the_wine_snob

Crashes with Premiere CS4 under Win7 32Bit

feedin

Hello, since a few months, I work with Premiere Pro CS4 4.2.1 on an ASUS based PC (Striker II Mainboard 4 Cores and 4 GB RAM). I also use an external Video RAID 0, connected via a eSata controller card. All application like Photoshop and Aftereffects run correctly and stable. When I cut videos on Premiere Pro in HD or SD, I often have undefined crashes with Premiere Pro CS4. Sometimes the application quits itself, sometimes I get no response from the GUI, or while Rendering a message appears that the is no enough systemspace. I have Terabytes Spaces and I can't imagine that this should be the problem. The mediacache is also routed to the video drive. Those crashes happens 7 times or more a day. I tried several codecs and it makes no different whether I use the connected Blackmagic Design Eclipse Interface or not.

With Driver Genius Pro I searched for the latest mainboard and graphic drivers, but without any changes in result. Do you have expirience with Win7 32bit and ASUS Striker II Maninboard. Is it a good idea to buy a new 64 Bit PC and an upgrade to CS5? May this solve hanging problems? What could be the reason for Instability?

Thanks for answers.

Sincerely

André

• 1. Re: Crashes with Premiere CS4 under Win7 32Bit
          the_wine_snob Level 9

André,

I cannot address your MoBo question, but have some articles that might offer a few tips. The first ARTICLE is on setting up one's computer for a video editing session, one of the most intense operations that one can subject a computer to. For Win7, please look down to the last addenda, as there is a Win7 specific link to Black Viper's page.

The next ARTICLE is on finding clues as to what is happening, when the program crashes or hangs.

The last ARTICLE is a link to general troubleshooting tips for PrPro.

With Driver Genius Pro I searched for the latest mainboard and graphic drivers, but without any changes in result.

I'd take this one step further, regarding your video card's driver. Note the exact card that you have, its driver info, and go to the mfgr's. site. Find the very latest driver, and compare with what you have installed. Too many of those all-in-one updaters will stop far short of getting the very latest driver. I have seen systems, using similar, where the video driver was 3 years old, and showing as "most recent." For nVidia, or ATI/AMD, that will be ~ 30 driver versions behind.

Just some thoughts, and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Crashes with Premiere CS4 under Win7 32Bit
            12towers Level 1

This I found interesting. maybe a reinstall is needed to load missing codecs.

DSH    MPEG1Packet    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Decoder"    {25AD5730-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x005fffff    ** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcdsmpeg.ax"

DSH    MPEG1Packet    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder"    {25AD5740-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x005fffff    ** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcdsmpeg.ax"

DSH    MPEG1System    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Splitter"    {25AD5720-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x005fffff    ** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcspmpeg.ax"

DSH    YV12    "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264 Encoder"    {FF890B51-A4C5-4B19-87CF-65D86EC12F1C}    0x00200000    ** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2esh264.ax"

DSH    Video    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Encoder"    {25AD5750-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x00200000    ** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcesmpeg.ax"

• 4. Re: Crashes with Premiere CS4 under Win7 32Bit
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Where did this list come from?

Many utilities yield false-positives on the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's. Adobe uses a special naming convention to protect those CODEC's from being overwritten or deleted by other programs, and the main utilities cannot use that naming convention.

Good luck,

Hunt