3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2010 5:53 AM by Jim_Babbage

Virtual keyboard

corriela Level 1

I've been creating wireframes for a GUI for a hand-held product in Fireworks and exporting as HTML for prototyping.

On one of the pages I've drawn a keyboard where each key is a separate button with up/down status.

My client wants to see the keyboard working so that a text field fills with text as he clicks on these buttons. Previously I have built my GUIs in Flash and hand coded any keypads, but now I've moved to Fireworks I've no idea how to make a keypad work.

Is this possible and if so are there any tutorials or working examples I could learn from?

Thanks for any help 

• 1. Re: Virtual keyboard
          Linda Nicholls Level 4
          "My client wants to see the keyboard working so  that a text field fills with text as he clicks on these buttons.  Previously I have built my GUIs in Flash and hand coded any keypads, but  now I've moved to Fireworks I've no idea how to make a keypad work."

It cannot be done in Fireworks. Although you can use a button symbol to trigger a disjoint rollover uncovering a letter, you cannot locate the letter randomly across the screen. For example, if you typed the letter 'r' , it would always show up at the same coordinates.  You can probably control the randomization of the letter positions with javascript, but that's outside the capabilities of Fireworks.
          • 2. Re: Virtual keyboard
            corriela Level 1

Hi,

Many thanks for your quick reply, such a shame it's not possible...Flash it is then!

Thanks

• 3. Re: Virtual keyboard
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

You might have a look a Flash Catalyst. Maybe it can solve this challenge.

Jim Babbage