1 Reply Latest reply on May 5, 2010 1:32 PM by the_wine_snob

Out of Sync Drift After DV Capture - Premiere Pro CS5

BLSTech

Recently I've captured a few videos from a Panasonic DV camera that, after capture is complete and I play it on the sequence timeline, start out in sync and drift to a wide OOS margin by the end of the captured AVI (starts becoming noticeable about 1/3 of the way into the video).

When I play the tape through on the camera, there are no visible sync issues. When I take the AVI capture file and play it in Windows Media Player directly, there are no visible sync issues either. If I pop the capture file into Final Cut, is also falls out of sync in the same way that Premiere does. If I use Media Encoder anyway to generate, say, an mp4 file, the resulting file will carry over the OOS issues from the Premiere timeline.

The audio is being recorded at 48k on the camera and Premiere's Sequence is also set to 48k.

The only thing that I can figure that might be playing a role in this is that I'm using the Panasonic camera as a VCR to record a feed from a live production system. The video mixing in this system switches between multiple sources and there may be some dropped frames due to this (though I get no dropped frame warnings during/after capture). I've captured many videos in the past in the same manner (using an older version of Premiere than I have now) and it's only recently become an issue.

Any suggestions? It almost seems to me that there is some bit of information in these capture AVIs that Premiere and Final Cut see, causing the OOS to drift, but that Windows Media Player ignores and thus the vid plays fine through it... I've been digging on this for a while and am feeling pretty stumped. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Out of Sync Drift After DV Capture - Premiere Pro CS5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With the normal Capture from miniDV tape, it's just a bit-for-bit copy of the 1's and 0's. I have never heard of any OOS with that workflow, regardless of the Duration of the Capture.

That said, I would just assume that the signal that your camera is sending would also be bit-for-bit, but maybe I am wrong. Since that live feed is a bit of a departure, it might be too easy to place the blame there. Still, that is where I would concentrate. Though correcting the OOS in Capture is by far the best course of action, if one has to do it in post, this ARTICLE might offer a few tips. As you have identified some static OOS and also dynamic OOS, that article probably does not contain anything that you do not already know. Static OOS is easy - dynamic OOS is a lot of work. One good reason to correct the cause of the OOS.

Also, with your workflow, check the latency of every link in your chain, as it could be something like the mixer introducing this with just a tiny latency mismatch.

Hope that others have some ideas for you.

Good luck,

Hunt