13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 9:00 PM by Chuck- AllieCat Video

Timeline render always stops/freezes

12towers

Bought a new HP with win 7 64 bit, bought an upgrade for Premiere Pro because my version of Pro didn't support 64bit. downloaded the program from adobe and installed. Seemed to install fine. Downloaded the updates and started to edit, or at least try to edit. The imported clips (all different types) will render part way and the stop/freeze. No error message just stops. Tried everything I could think of........ nothing seems to work. I am so far behind in work now. Basically I can't use the program. I have to offload the clips to an external hard drive and edit on my old computer that uses CS2 Suite. This is making me crawl the walls. I didn't buy CS5 because I couldn't wait for the release (1 week) and didn't want untested software.

i5 (3.20) 8 gigs memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT230, separate 750 gig caviar black drive just for video.

• 1. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us a lot more about your Project/Sequence, your Imported Assets.

It might also be helpful to go into more detail on your new computer and how it is set up. This ARTICLE will give you tips on the types of info that will be greatly appreciated. Please give us all the details about your I/O sub-system, i.e. all HDD's, their speed, size, free space, controller/connection type and how they are allocated.

Also, are you getting any Out of Memory, or Resources error messages?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
            12towers Level 1

This I found interesting. maybe a  reinstall is needed to load missing codecs.

DSH    MPEG1Packet    "MainConcept (Adobe2)  MPEG Audio Decoder"    {25AD5730-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}     0x005fffff    ** File Missing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe  Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcdsmpeg.ax"

DSH    MPEG1Packet    "MainConcept  (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder"     {25AD5740-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x005fffff    ** File Missing:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcdsmpeg.ax"

DSH     MPEG1System    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Splitter"     {25AD5720-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x005fffff    ** File Missing:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcspmpeg.ax"

DSH     YV12    "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264 Encoder"     {FF890B51-A4C5-4B19-87CF-65D86EC12F1C}    0x00200000    ** File Missing:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2esh264.ax"

DSH     Video    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Encoder"     {25AD5750-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x00200000    ** File Missing:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcesmpeg.ax"

• 3. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Where did that list of missing CODEC's come from?

Reason that I ask is that G-Spot, Sherlock the CODEC Detective, and some other utilities, will give you false positives for missing, or broken Adobe MainConcept CODEC's. This is due to Adobe's naming convention to protect them for being overwritten, or removed, by other programs. Unfortunately, the utilities cannot work with that naming convention, and hence the false-positive errors.

Good luck, and just trying to save time, if the CODEC's are not really an issue.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
                shooternz Level 6

Seems you are using a Trial Version with mpeg material.

• 5. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

You could be correct, and was an early thought of mine, but in the OP, the word "bought" caught my eye.

I am guessing that that list came from G-Spot, or from Sherlock, but need clarification on that. If not, and it's not a false-positive, then a Repair Install should square things up.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
                    12towers Level 1

It is not a trial version, paid the $300 upgrade and did a clean first time install with no overwriting of previous versions, as this is a new computer. It was indeed Sherlock that I used Mr. Hunt. Thank you for pointing out about the naming convention. Moved the clips to my dual zeon machine (32bit) and they imported without a hitch. I do get an error the file xml or xmd not being correct on the problematic computer (sorry I'm not at that computer).

here is the message

File importer detected an inconsistency in the file structure of ***************.avi. Reading and writing this files metadata (XMP) has been disabled.

What I can't figure out is why it gets quarter of the way through then freezes, and why the CS2 version has no problems. And I was wrong, I use G-spot to check for codec errors

• 7. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I feel that you can safely ignore those CODEC errors, as they are common, due to that naming convention.

Now, CS4 requires more resources than does CS2. I am wondering if your system is getting a bit too full, or if something (bloatware?) is sealing necessary resources.

I'd go back to that article that I linked to above, and let us know more about your system and your Assets.

Also, this ARTICLE might give you tips on getting your computer ready for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
                        12towers Level 1

Reinstalled it and seems to be working now although I still get the XMP warning dialog.

• 10. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
                          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

The XMP warning is specific to your media files.  I'm not sure how they were created, but the XMP libraries are detecting an error in a RIFF size count somewhere in the file.  Basically, when you open media files in Adobe apps, we want to inject metadata into the source - but if the source has anything wrong with it, XMP plays it safe & doesn't go through with injecting its data, for fear of corrupting the file further.

Typically, this is seen with 3rd parties writing AVI chunks not completely to spec.

• 11. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news, and I see that Wil has also responded to the XMP error. I could not have helped you there, but learned something from Wil's answer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Timeline render always stops/freezes
                              12towers Level 1

Only thing I can think of is that the Decklink-Blackmagic capture card is not playing nice with PP. As for the freezes, they are gone so far. Now I can get some work done. After the reinstall have had no glitches. So frustrating to lose so much time. Thank you for hearing me out. I made sure that quicktime was the latest and that the Cuda drivers for the video card were the newest. Did a trial of the CS5 software yesterday to see if I could get some work done without problems and on the install it said I needed the most recent CUDA driver for the Nvidia card. But I'm sure at this point that the initial install of PP CS4 was faulty.

• 13. Re: Metadata XMP disabled warning when importing from OnLocation
                                Chuck- AllieCat Video Level 1

Wil,  I am also seeing the XMP metadata warning message..  However, my avi clips were not created in a third party package, they were created in OnLocation CS4.  When i import the clips from OnLocationCS4 to Premier Pro CS4 the error occurs.

I am beginning a huge production and I am concerned this issue might cause issues down the road with editing, encoding, mastering.

I have checked the files and sequence and they are the same.

I have seen others have this issue, but there does not seem to be anyone that knows exactly why it's happening and how to correct it.

Error message in Event Panel:  File importer detected an inconsistency in the file structure of filename.avi.  Reading and writing this file's metadate (XMP) has been disabled.

*** UPDATE ***

Imported more OnLocation video Clips tonight.  The message (File importer detected an inconsistency in the file structure of filename.avi.  Reading and writing this file's metadate (XMP) has been disabled) only appears for imported video clips that are larger than 2GB .  All othe properties of the clips are the same.  The only difference appears to be size.

Is there a file size limitation associated with Adobe importing AVI clips larger than 2GB?  Is it a Premier Pro issue or an OnLocation issue?

Adobe Production Premium CS4

Premier Pro CS4 v.4.2.1

OnLocation CS4

Windows 7, Ultimate 64bit

MSI X58 Pro-e Mainboard, i7 - Quad 965XE 3.8Ghz
                                12GB Memory, DDR3-1600
                                1TB System HDD
                                2TB - RAID 0 Video Processing HDDs
                                2TB Video Storage HDD
                                nVida Quadro FX1800 1GB Graphics
                                1934 FW Capture