3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 1:21 PM by the_wine_snob

Imported video into Premiere Pro and all clips are cut off midway thru

bunnyears123

We are a school using Premiere Pro CS3 and we imported video into the program using the File, Import button (531 clips). The files were originally .mts so we had to covert them to .wmv in order to put them into Premiere. They successfully imported into our "bin" in Premiere, but when dragged into the timeline in order, they only play half of each clip and cut the student video/audio off halfway through. It is for every clip, so it wasn't a video recording error (we also allowed for a 3 second pause at the beginning and end of each clip we filmed)

Could we have somehow lost part of each clip when we coverted and then imported? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Imported video into Premiere Pro and all clips are cut off midway thru
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have encountered similar, when converting some DivX/Xvid files to DV-AVI Type II. The Duration is truncated badly. Those files show the correct Duration in G-SPOT, and also play fine and complete in several players. Something, however, tells PrPro that the files are much shorter, than they are. This will happen with maybe 1 out of 20 similar files.

My workaround is to Import those same converted DV-AVI Type II's into PrElements, and then immediately Export as the same exact format. This fixes the file and then PrPro can see the correct Duration. The files spec. out as being 100% identical with every utility, that I have tried, but something is different - I have just not yet found what the issue is.

First, I would convert to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, instead of the WMV's, which will add more compression and are tough to decode and edit with. This will remove one level of additional compression, get the files in an easily editable form, and maybe solve the Duration issue.

Good luck, and please let us know if the DV-AVI Type II's work better for you,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Imported video into Premiere Pro and all clips are cut off midway thru
            bunnyears123 Level 1

Thanks. That was my first thought, to convert to AVI instead of WMV, as our previous projects in past years were all AVI files. We will try that first and then the other suggestions you gave. Thank you for the very detailed answer and I will let you know what we find out

• 3. Re: Imported video into Premiere Pro and all clips are cut off midway thru
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Though my conversion program does a great job, there is still that 1 out of 20, where even the DV-AVI does not work properly, due to the Duration issue. I just happened to stumble upon the PrElements segment in my workflow, but that has been 100%. Why PrPro misses the Duration initially, and what PrE does (remember, same exact format/CODEC and specs.) to the files, so that they work, is still a mystery to me. Also, I realize that most PrPro users will not have PrE handy in their toolbox. [Do not know if other, consumer NLE's, like CyberLink's PowerDirector, Magix MovieEdit Pro, and others will "cure" the issue, as I just use PrE.]

Good luck, and let us know if things improve,

Hunt