Try using the TCP/IP domain name (or IP address) & port instead of the Windows-styled connectivity info. You might need to enable TCP/IP as a network protocol on the DB server though (I think it's off by default on SQL Express Ed).
Well, I solved the problem. The error message said it might not be running. I discovered that SQLExpress is not configured by default to accept TCP/IP connections. Using the SQL Server Configuration Manager, I enabled TCP/IP. Problem solved.
1 person found this helpful
Things to check:
1. Are TCP/IP connections enabled for the SQL instance?
2. Is a firewall blocking the port SQL server is listening on?
3. Is SQL authentication enabled in SQL the instance?
See this blog entry, it may be helpful.
Yes, you are right. I had to enable TCP/IP. I did not need to change the name of the server.
One other thing to try. Make sure that SQL Server Browser service is running. You can find it through the Window Services panel. I tried all other suggestions multiple times for hours to no avail. As soon as I started this service, all worked great. Good Luck!
You are the Man...Just the same issue..Just the same solution..Thanks a LOOOOOOOOOOOOT
Wow. After an all-nighter and much consternation, simply activating the SQL Server Browser service enabled me to get this working on Windows 8.
HUGE props and much thanks for taking the time to post your solution.
THANK YOU ADAM!!!!
you da man