4 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 3:04 PM by shooternz

Export / Render video using GPUs / MPE?

xpimpyo Level 1

I have the MPE GPU Acceleration support turned on in my project settings, but when I export a video to H.264 YouTube Widescreen HD Preset, my GPU usage is 0% and my CPU usage is 74%.

Is there something special I have to go to make it encode / export using the GPUs not the CPU?

• 1. Re: Export / Render video using GPUs / MPE?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

MPE only benefits from hardware accelleration if you have supported effects in your timeline. If you have no supported effects in your time line, you will not profit.

Despite all the hype about MPE and the supported cards, you will only benefit if the effects you use are the supported ones. If you don't use them regularly, what is the sense in investing in an expensive video card if you can't use it? That is something every potential buyer should be aware of.

The investment in a supported CUDA card is only sensible if you use supported effects regularly.

Benefits from exporting timelines without supported effects are still unclear and maybe you have now experienced that without those effects, there are no discernable benefits from a supported video card. I wish I knew more about it, but we have to await benchmarks to tell us where and when we can profit from such a card.

• 2. Re: Export / Render video using GPUs / MPE?
            xpimpyo Level 1

So I can download a freebie program called MediaCoder than can use a CUDA based encoder to render any video using any format and any CUDA card, but Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 can't?

EL OH EL

• 4. Re: Export / Render video using GPUs / MPE?
              shooternz Level 6
              The investment in a supported CUDA card is only sensible if you use supported effects regularly.

For the record  and pleasingly:

The Fixed Effects are supported by the MPE /CUDA technology and the list of other supported FX is extensive.

Highlight would be that Ultra Key is ...as well as garbage mattes, track mattes, C.C etc...

1 person found this helpful