3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2010 7:35 PM by the_wine_snob

Orphan Menu Item is missing. . .

EckleySP Level 1

OK.  I'm running Windows 7 and I accidently (somehow) imported an audio file into the project as a menu item.  Encore complained that is was not a photoshop file (duh).  So, I imported the audio file in as an assest in the project.  That, of course, worked.

But Encore still thinks this file is somehow a menu or menu item.  I don't see it in the list of Menus.  It is not shown in the flowchart or anywhere else.  The result of this is that Encore will crash when I check the project for errors -  that's where I see the orphan menu problem - when I click on the audio file name, Encore blows up. 

So, given I can't see it to delete - does anyone have any ideas on how to delete this file from the project?  Is there a secret file somewhere I can edit?

I hate to have to start over again on this project.

Scott

• 1. Re: Orphan Menu Item is missing. . .
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Scott,

Similar has happened when users accidentally Imported the default Menu from the Library (usually the Party Menu), and especially when they canceled the Import, the orphan remains. This most often happens WITH Menus, and this is the first time that I have heard of it happening with an Audio Asset, accidentally Imported as a Menu. That should have stopped 100%, with the error message that you got.

If you file is not showing in the Project Panel, or the Orphanage in Flowchart, I would try to build the Project to DVD/BD, and ignore the warning message. This usually works. If not, you might need to start the Project from scratch.

There are several similar threads on the Encore Forum. A search for "orphan" in that forum should yield a lot of hits. I know that I, Jeff Bellune and Stanley Jones commented in most.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Orphan Menu Item is missing. . .
            EckleySP Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the input.  I did try to create the DVD by ignoring the warning but Encore crapped out - long into the rendering process.

So, there's a bug somewhere -  generally, if its there, I'll find it.

Scott

• 3. Re: Orphan Menu Item is missing. . .
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Scott,

While most users have been able to get around the issue by just ignoring the Orphan, they have cause Projects to not Build/Transcode, and it appears that the only recourse is to start from scratch.

Now, if you have Transcoded, and Rendered the Motion Menus, you might have luck by choosing Revert to Original for the Assets, then doing a Save. Open a new/different Project and choose Clean Media Cache. Close out and Open you original Project, and try to Build again.

The Orphan/Phantom Asset is an issue. It seems that there are instances, where these Orphan/Phantom Assets are created, but cannot be Deleted. Not sure why/how this can happen, but it does.

In my experiences, I have accidentally added the default Library Menu, but a simple Delete from the Project Panel has always worked fine, and as it should.

Good luck,

Hunt