10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2012 1:57 PM by daviddd22

Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe

RWG57

The other day when Adobe Reader "automatically" updated all of the program icons were changed over Adobe icons and nothing would open up, other than an attempt to open up in Adobe Reader (obviously without success.  I finally uninstalled Reader and all icons magically returned to normal and all was right with the world until I tried to open a .pdf file (obviously without success as I now had no Reader!).  I tried to download the program again this morning and had the same issue all over again.  I once again had to uninstall Reader (it's not easy when EVERYprogram file you have now seems to be associated with Adobe Reader and some of them were startup programs!!!  I actually had to go into msconfig to shut them down and then reboot before uninstalling Reader.  I wasn't impressed!!).  I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (currently up to date courtesy of Microsoft (?)) and I do have Adobe Acrobat Standard Ver 8 Standard.  Does anyone have any ideas here?  What's going on?  I have seen a number of others with this same problem on both Adobe and Microsoft forums, but so far no solutions.

• 1. Re: Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe
          lheures

I've seen this problem as well on a Windows 7 System running Acrobat 9.30.

What I did to resolve the issue was change the .LNK in the registry to what

the defaults are.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lnk

OpenWithList

Should just have

(Deafult) REG_SZ (value not set)

OpenWithProgids

Should just have

(Deafult) REG_SZ (value not set)

lnkfile REG_NONE (zero-length binary value)

I had some references in there too Acrobat. Deleted them rebooted All Icons back to normal.

Hope this helps

• 2. Re: Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe
            inuk.shuks

I tried the solution, but it did not work--I am not all that confident in changing the registry. I still am having the same issues and am in need of a user friendly solution.

This just makes no sense to me. I have had this problem since verions 8.3 of the reader.

Need help please.

• 3. Re: Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe
              RWG57 Level 1

inuk.shuks - (are you from Vancouver perchance?) - what solution did you

try?  did you go to the site that is attached?  One of the solutions there

is a batch file that Microsoft Tech Solutions has posted that will make the

required change to your registry.  This is likely required because there is

a line of code in the registry that activates at certain times creating the

problem.  I don't know what started this chain of events but it is likely a

virus of some sort.  I have found reference to this problem going back to

2005 so it has been around for quite some time and it is not limited to

Adobe Reader, although I suspect that something in Adobe's update files

triggered it, and once it's active it just keeps on going.  I had the

problem with both Adobe & Internet Explorer icons being the  result.  This

line of code in the registry finds a program and changes the file

associations to a certain .lnk extension.  If you haven't had any luck on

your own I suggest you take your computer down to a shop & explain the

problem.  Have them do a Google search for "file associations changing to

.lnk".  The site I have suggested is there (likely the second hit).

Good luck.

Note - the site I have included seems to be down this evening.  Don't sweat

it if you can't connect.  Try later tonight or in the morning.

• 4. Re: Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe
                inuk.shuks Level 1

Thanks for the response (I am from Ontario). What site are you referring to? I must not have found the beginning of the thread.

Can you attach it to the email or tell me where in the string it is?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe
                  RWG57 Level 1

Go to this site -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistadesktopui/thread/e8631c28-4ce5-43c c-8865-b75fa2255b57 -

click on the file link in the post by Error_Counter & run it.  It should fix

your problem as it did mine.  Good luck.  Note, you could also try the file

link in Sean Zhu's post but if I remember correctly the first one worked for

me.

• 6. Re: Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe
                    inuk.shuks Level 1

Thanks so much

I'll let you know

• 7. Re: Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe
                      inuk.shuks Level 1

Thanks so much

It appears to have worked

Much appreciated

• 8. Re: Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe
                        RWG57 Level 1

Glad to have been of some assistance.

• 9. Re: Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe
                          Creative Skull Level 1

Solution 1: Registry fix

Disclaimer: The registry contains system-related information that is critical to your computer and applications. Before modifying the registry, be sure to make a backup copy of it (Win 7, Win Vista). Adobe doesn't provide support for problems that can arise from improperly modifying the registry. Adobe strongly recommends that you have experience editing system files before you modify the registry. For information on the Windows Registry Editor, see the documentation for Windows or contact Microsoft Technical Support.

Apply the applicable registry fixes available at the following links:
                          1. Download and save the applicable file: For Win Vista or Win 7.
                          2. Unzip/Extract the contents (.REG file) to desktop.
                          3. Make sure you have administrative privileges. Then, right-click on the .REG file and select Merge.
                          4. Restart the machine.
                          5. If issue persists, Implement Solution 2.

Solution 2: Force a refresh of the icon cache.

In order to refresh the shell icons, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, Default Programs.
                          2. Click ‘Set your default programs’.
                          3. Select a web browser, email client or any other item in the list.
                          4. Click the ‘Set this program as default’ button.
                          5. Click OK.
                          6. If issue still persists, then reboot and check.

Solution 3: Purge and rebuild the IconCache.db file.

Method 1:

1. Show Hidden Files and Folders: Vista; Wndows 7.
                          2. Browse to ‘C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local’ folder and delete the hidden IconCache.db file.
                          3. Reboot.
                          4. If issue persists, repeat Solution 2.
                          Method 2:
                          Using Command Prompt:
                          1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
                          2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
                          3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
                          4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
                          5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
                          6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
                          7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
                          CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
                          DEL IconCache.db /a
                          EXIT
                          1. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
                          2. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.
                          3. Reboot.
                          4. If issue persists, repeat Solution 2.

Solution 4: Create a new local Administrator user account and test the issue.

Sanjay Manju Suman

Adobe Systems Inc.

• 10. Re: Reader 9.1.3 update changes all icons to Adobe
                            daviddd22

I had the same problem on 07.08.2012 and was frustrated for nearly two hours.

tried system restore but didn't work/finish.

Tried malware software but didn't seem to work.

Went to answer 5 above.

I used BOTH links mentioned..... error_counter and sean zhu,

I cannot tell you which one worked as I only restarted my computer after clicking on BOTH links.

Guaranteed, one of them works and I was using windows home premium 7.

Thank you VERY much for posting link 5.