• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing out of CS5 on Epson 7900 prints gray in paper white areas?

Explorer ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I print out of CS5 on my Epson 7900 printer, the area around the photograph that is suppose to just be paper white (no ink) is printing a light grey. The grey fills the entire printable area of the sheet of paper. That grey does not print though, on the actual photograph....the photo prints fine. I thought it was the printer, but then I fired up CS4 and printed with no problems at all.....then I went back to CS5 and got the problem again.

I'm using all the current drivers etc. for the printer. I'm on a Mac Pro running SnowLeopard 10.6.3. If anyone has any ideas about what this might be, I'm listening!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to use version 2 ICC profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are "version 2 ICC profiles"?

How are they different that the one's I have been using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

It seems to only do it with certain profiles but not all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct - this is due to a MacOS ColorSync bug when using ICC version 4 profiles (which are included with the Epson drivers on MacOS 10.6).

To avoid that problem, you need to use ICC version 2 profiles (which were included in the 10.5.x drivers).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Apple and the printer vendors are still working on fixes to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering I'm not using just Epson papers and profiles, I guess I'll have to wait to buy the license after the demo expires and see if this gets resolved.

I just tried the Canson Infinity Bayrta Photographique (with their ICC profile) and it too printed gray where it was suppose to be white.

Thanks Chris for your comments....at least now I know that it's not my printer screwing up.

Couldn't they have just left well enough alone, and however it was done in CS4...just transfered that over to CS5?

If it ain't broke, why fix it!

Back to CS4 I guess......too bad, I was really liking CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CameraGuy - what license?

This has nothing to do with Photoshop.   It's an acknowledged bug in MacOS.

The problem showed in Photoshop CS4 as well -- it first appeared (as far as we can tell) with MacOS 10.6.0.  But we don't know where the bug is in ColorSync or when exactly it was introduced.  So we don't know if it was added in 10.6 or of the newer printer profiles just exposed the bug at that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris....I only meant that after the demo expires that I would hold off buying the license until these issue were resolved, for I need to be able to print out of Photoshop with various papers and ICC profiles.

I guess I have been fortunate in that I have had no trouble printing out of CS4 with lot's of Epson and non-Epson papers. So I'm just saying that I will just stay with CS4 until this is resolved. What else can I do.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2011 Jan 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris -

Please see my response below. It has been over 7 months since your post and there still is no solution to the problem - I think you guys need to re-evaluate your role in solving this, because CS5 is the only application that does this on my workstation - I understand you believe there are framework issues you need to wait on from apple but please read the following:

If I print a 16 bit tiff in apple's Preview app and use colorsync to manage profile conversion for the paper type there are no problems with these 3rd party profiles - "pure white" is treated as such and the print head skips over areas that are "pure white".

However, printing with CS5 while using any non-epson ICC profiles causes the printer to print in areas that should be "pure white".

Are you 100% confident that the "canvas/background" set up in the CS5 print window is not also affected by the color management selection? Is it possible that the white area of the canvas is being sent as a Flattened image to be converted instead of just the image on the canvas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem with my HP Pro B9180 as well. Hope Apple solves this soon…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem should be fixed in the 10.6.4 release of Snow Leopard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it has been fixed in 10.6.4. Images converted to Version 4 printer profiles now print without the gray.

Doyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's weird, I'm running 10.6.4 and for me it hasn't been fixed. I'm using Photoshop CS5 in combination with an HP Pro B9180 printer and Calumet's Brilliant Glossy paper and profile. Any idea what I can do to fix this?

Thanks,

Hayo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is something weird going on.

I just did a quick test again with CS5. When I printed using a Monaco generated V4 profile with perceptual rending intent I am getting no gray but with a ProfileMaker Pro V4 profile and relative colormetric I am getting a very light gray almost blue, but not the darker gray like before.

This needs a lot more testing.

Doyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey for posting -

There are still problems with CS5 printing ink in areas that should be "pure white" - everything works fine using Apple preview. Please look into this some more on your end now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set the canvas size to be the size of the paper.....  and it worked...  when you get the cyan y  open the top of the printer and see how the head moves across the whole paper.   then when you do the canvas size and make sure it is white I do both foreground and background then print head goes straight to the image    and only prints the image....   same for PSE9 but not for LR3 that works perfectly

there are other profiles from monaco  that works fine  epson profiles  only profiles   from some supplier do this..... 

cheers keep me informed..

I will be away from my printer for another week and cannot help you any more than from what I remember and wrote down...

cheers elo

what profiles do you use

open them up and check to see the maker...  see tag  "Pmtr"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 10.6.4 did not do the trick...

I have the same problem with Photoshop CS5 (12.0.1), Mac Os 10.6.4 and Epson stylus Pro 4800.

The light cyan tone shows with every tested paperprofile so far (from hahnemuehle, sihl and my own custom-made profiles from a service provider).

I had my profiles checked from Phil Green from icc.org.

He says that they were fine.

At the moment I have an open case at Epson and here at Adobe.

I hope there is a solution - going back to 10.5.8 is not an option, as my brand new MacPro does not run under 10.5.8 any more....

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like the ICC V4 profile bug in MacOS/ColorSync.

Using an older, V2 profile should avoid the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specificationversion of the profiles are 2.0.0 and 2.4.0

I am not really familiar with those specifications, as I am not profiling myself.

Among them are up to date profiles from the manufacturers website - hahnemuehle and sihl.

Both companies have discussed the issue and both say the profiles are o.k.

The same does Phil Green.

I could deliver the profiles for further investigation...

The only situation in which the issue does not appear:

1. Setting the printerprofile, Photoshop shall use, to sRGB

2. Setting the printerprofile, Photoshop shall use, to the paper profile, belonging to the media type chosen in the Epson Printer settings.

So something goes wrong in the transition from document profile over the papermedia-profile (embedded in the epson printer-driver) to the custom-paperprofile.

P.S. Absotute Colorimetric shows exactly the same behaviour around the picture.

Am 16.09.2010 um 00:25 schrieb Chris Cox:

That sounds like the ICC V4 profile bug in MacOS/ColorSync.

Using an older, V2 profile should avoid the problem.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The profiles might be ok, by themselves.

But MacOS 10.6 has some bugs in ColorSync that cause white areas to show gray or a color tint when you use version 4 profiles.

The OS and the printer driver use ColorSync, and can run afoul of this OS bug.

Yes, the problem happens when Photoshop hands the data to the OS, and the OS hands it to the printer driver. ColorSync makes a mistake in the conversion (even when there should be no conversion made).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are the headers of two of the profiles...

How could I see if they are version 4 profiles?

Bildschirmfoto 2010-09-16 um 21.21.54.pngBildschirmfoto 2010-09-16 um 21.21.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your profiles appear to be V2 (»Spezikikationsversion«), but the preferred CMM (»Bevorzugte CMM«) is set to Apple, which means ColorSync is being invoked.  ColorSync (Apple's conversion engine) has been a mess for years.  I'm always set to ACE (Adobe Color Engine).

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preferred CMM in the profile is ignored.

And yes, they are version 2.

So now I'm not sure why you'd be getting gray, unless the printer has it's own V4 profile getting into the mix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

The preferred CMM in the profile is ignored…

That's a good thing—and a very wise feature. 

Good to know.  Thanks.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines